What's good on tv?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't usually watch tv. Unfortunately it's time to start putting my treadmill back to good use again, and I can't read while I (pretend to) run.

We don't have netflix and can't stream anything so I'm looking for shows on "regular" cable that I can start recording things to watch while I am sprinting.
I am a big believer in the thought that-
"Every time a reality show plays on tv, a book dies"
So I am open to anything except reality shows and anything too graphic/violent.

Is there anything good on tv anymore? What shows do you watch?

Currently on 'regular' cable, the wife and I are watching:
  • Downton Abbey
  • Sherlock
  • Jane the Virgin
  • New Girl (which was ok at first but I don't care for it anymore)
  • Mindy
  • Brooklyn Nine Nine
  • Marry Me
  • Jimmy Fallon
However, when I run, I usually turn on Netflix or Hulu and put on a show that I don't need to pay attention to, just something to distract me for 30 minutes. I find running (at least on the treadmill) to be incredibly boring.

ETA: TV isn't what it used to be and consists mainly of a few minutes of show between large gaps of commercials.

Currently on 'regular' cable, the wife and I are watching:
  • Downton Abbey
  • Sherlock
  • Jane the Virgin
  • New Girl (which was ok at first but I don't care for it anymore)
  • Mindy
  • Brooklyn Nine Nine
  • Marry Me
  • Jimmy Fallon
However, when I run, I usually turn on Netflix or Hulu and put on a show that I don't need to pay attention to, just something to distract me for 30 minutes. I find running (at least on the treadmill) to be incredibly boring.

ETA: TV isn't what it used to be and consists mainly of a few minutes of show between large gaps of commercials.
Thanks, I'll look those up!

Yes, I need something mindless. I tried watching last man standing and it wasn't as funny when I was cursing the timer and wanting to die. Hmm, I wonder why? :giggle: I've been watching old episodes of house but they are extra boring since I've seen them all already.

Yes, I need something mindless. I tried watching last man standing and it wasn't as funny when I was cursing the timer and wanting to die. Hmm, I wonder why? :giggle: I've been watching old episodes of house but they are extra boring since I've seen them all already.
Some may be better suited to the treadmill than others. For example, I'm not sure Downton Abbey would be good for the treadmill. Same with Sherlock (but, if I recall, Sherlock only comes on once every two years and is only three episodes a season.. that said, the wife and I are terribly hooked on that show).

Also, most of those are 30 minute comedies. Jane the Virgin is light and funny, but it's an hour-long.

And, I'm not sure of the type of shows you like or want to watch on the treadmill. I like comedies best, but sometimes I find myself watching documentaries for some reason?

I'd have different recommendations if you had Netflix. :smile:

Depends on what you consider 'reality shows' I suppose. If you mean the Housewives or the Kardashians, then yes. But what about things like Top Chef or Project Runway? They do tend to dramatize things a bit and focus on tension amongst the contestants, but it can be interesting to watch the process and work of creative people. There are other competitive type cooking shows on the Food Network, I think, if you like that sort of thing.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure. I'm sort of addicted to Law and Order, but not sure if that's considered graphic or violent. There's a new channel in the cable lineup that might or might not be in your area. It's called MeTV and it airs a bunch of old shows - Hawaii Five-O, MASH, The Brady Bunch, Wonder Woman...it can be fun to watch a little for nostalgia's sake. The only bad thing is that it might ruin some of the shows for you when you realize just how bad they were ;) Here's where you can check if you get the channel or not: MeTV Network Where to Watch MeTV

Otherwise, I'm not really sure. I'm sort of addicted to Law and Order, but not sure if that's considered graphic or violent. There's a new channel in the cable lineup that might or might not be in your area. It's called MeTV and it airs a bunch of old shows - Hawaii Five-O, MASH, The Brady Bunch, Wonder Woman...it can be fun to watch a little for nostalgia's sake. The only bad thing is that it might ruin some of the shows for you when you realize just how bad they were ;) Here's where you can check if you get the channel or not: MeTV Network Where to Watch MeTV
Definitely agree with Law and Order. I am addicted. For a while, all I watched while running was The Brady Bunch. My wife made fun of me. :biglaugh:

Also, the shows I listed are on basic cable--NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS, PBS, etc.

Some may be better suited to the treadmill than others. For example, I'm not sure Downton Abbey would be good for the treadmill. Same with Sherlock (but, if I recall, Sherlock only comes on once every two years and is only three episodes a season.. that said, the wife and I are terribly hooked on that show).

Also, most of those are 30 minute comedies. Jane the Virgin is light and funny, but it's an hour-long.

And, I'm not sure of the type of shows you like or want to watch on the treadmill. I like comedies best, but sometimes I find myself watching documentaries for some reason?

I'd have different recommendations if you had Netflix. :smile:
I will look into Jane the Virgin then, definitely! No netflix here, we don't have unlimited internet.
Depends on what you consider 'reality shows' I suppose. If you mean the Housewives or the Kardashians, then yes. But what about things like Top Chef or Project Runway? They do tend to dramatize things a bit and focus on tension amongst the contestants, but it can be interesting to watch the process and work of creative people. There are other competitive type cooking shows on the Food Network, I think, if you like that sort of thing.

I can't watch the food network, especially when on the treadmill. It makes. SO HUNGRY. The Brady bunch might be fun! I've never really watched law and order! That might be a good idea too. I'll check out what old shows I can find. I used to really enjoy the facts of life, and I love Lucy, maybe I can find some of those!

The Americans, on FX, has been a good TV series, now starting its third season. Another show, a brand new show, is Better Call Saul, a sort of prequel to Breaking Bad. It's been great in its first two episodes.

The Americans, on FX, has been a good TV series, now starting its third season. Another show, a brand new show, is Better Call Saul, a sort of prequel to Breaking Bad. It's been great in its first two episodes.
Awesome! I'll look those up too, thanks!

My lovely wife leans toward the dramas: Rookie Blue, Revenge, and Chicago Fire. We do watch a lot of **** Network, but I won't mention any of the shows.

DERREL!!!

What's good on TV is OMG DERREL'S BACK! :D

What's good on TV these days? I have no idea. All I get to watch are children's shows.

Most reactions

Back