Whats the best way...?

justinspeaks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
whats the best way to submit a photo to a company? sould i email them asking if they are interested then send them the picture, and should the picture be resized or the original size? the picture im trying to submit is a surf picture and im sending it to the sponsors on the guys board. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

There is no personal experience behind this but I'd attach a pic resized AND a pic at original size. Maybe upload them and attach links too.

Good luck the sad fact about this is that the company probably has a million photographer shooting all the professional surfers riding their boards so unless you are assigned to do this shot I would not expect them to buy it. A possibility is if the person you are shooting is a sponsores surfer and you know him you might submit a few photos to the company just to see if they want you to shoot more. The best way to do that would be either to just attach your images to an E-mail or send them prints or a CD with a letter.

prints or email are better received than as CD. peopel often are too lazy to look at the CD.

never send full res images ... maybe one as an example, but then watermarked across.

No experience with this topic... but I do hav 2 cents to contribute.

A letter (with letterhead etc..) with samples will leave a far better impression than some email with attachments. Make it look as professional as possible... put some time into the whole coorespondence. There are millions of photographers with Email and Webistes. Your best chance is to make yourself stand out...... in this world... presentation is key.

whats the best way to submit a photo to a company? sould i email them asking if they are interested then send them the picture, and should the picture be resized or the original size? the picture im trying to submit is a surf picture and im sending it to the sponsors on the guys board. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

I hate to bring this up, but it's necessary. Do you have a model release from "the guy" riding the board? It doesn't matter if it's you or your Brother. You need a model release for any recognizable person if a photo is going to be used for something other than editorial.

By the way, say you want to print the picture and sell it to other people, make a mug, t-shirt or calendar. Does that board have a logo or trademark? That's protected material also.

I hate to bring this up, but it's necessary. Do you have a model release from "the guy" riding the board? It doesn't matter if it's you or your Brother. You need a model release for any recognizable person if a photo is going to be used for something other than editorial.

By the way, say you want to print the picture and sell it to other people, make a mug, t-shirt or calendar. Does that board have a logo or trademark? That's protected material also.

i wasnt really concerned with this aspect of it. cuz if hes sponsored by them and on their team i'm pretty sure they can use it. thats why im asking them to look at the photo and see if hes on their team. theres too many free lance surf photographers for them to have to get permission from each person out in the water. i understand this part of it i was mainly just asking how to attach pictures and make it professional but thanks for your info.

since it is a public place do you have to have a model release? what about a sporting game a.k.a little league ball do i have to have all the kids parents sign a model release?

since it is a public place do you have to have a model release? what about a sporting game a.k.a little league ball do i have to have all the kids parents sign a model release?

i personally feel that it depends on the "soul" of the photo....whether it is the subject the "event"....or the "person".....if you are taking a shot of a public event which includes dozens of people in it.....i dont think it matters....but if the picture is a dedicated shot of a person in the event.....then i think it does......better to consult a lawyer (or read up on google) regarding the legal matter

Most reactions

New Topics

Back