whats the purpose of Instagram?

ewick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mine is @ericjimenezphoto and I use it every now and again but I really don't see the point. I guess I have one cause every one I know has one. Any thoughts on this?

You know me! I don't have one.. and don't want one!

Purpose? To make bad photo's even worse? ;) (and to give hipsters and wanna-be hipsters a place to hang and talk about their latest thrift shop purchases and super cheap Lomo type cameras?)

It has 16 different filters, and the most-notable thing is that images it creates are SQUARE. That alone changes the images fundamentally....no more horrible "landscape portraits"...no more images with all that dead space...the square format forces users to crop off a VERY large amount of the view seen through their cellphone cameras. Those two things, the square format, and the enforced cropping and elimination of a majority of the capture, makes Instagram images "closer-in", so to speak.

According to a recent annual report on Internet trends, the average cellphone photography enthusiast reaches for his/her cellphone camera eight times per day. That's a lotta people, shooting a lotta images. OVer 500,000,000 images are uploaded to "the internet" every single day now.

It's be great if we could wind the hands of time back to the 1960's. Too bad we can't.

"Hey, you kids, get offa' my lawn, Godd&@ni+!!!"

Purpose? To make bad photo's even worse? ;) (and to give hipsters and wanna-be hipsters a place to hang and talk about their latest thrift shop purchases and super cheap Lomo type cameras?)

hahaha contrary to what you have just stated I have seen some work on there that would blow away a majority of peoples photos on here. Pretty sure they didnt use their lomo type cameras but if they did then they did a dam good job.

It has 16 different filters, and the most-notable thing is that images it creates are SQUARE. That alone changes the images fundamentally....no more horrible "landscape portraits"...no more images with all that dead space...the square format forces users to crop off a VERY large amount of the view seen through their cellphone cameras. Those two things, the square format, and the enforced cropping and elimination of a majority of the capture, makes Instagram images "closer-in", so to speak.

According to a recent annual report on Internet trends, the average cellphone photography enthusiast reaches for his/her cellphone camera eight times per day. That's a lotta people, shooting a lotta images. OVer 500,000,000 images are uploaded to "the internet" every single day now.

It's be great if we could wind the hands of time back to the 1960's. Too bad we can't.

squre format unless you re-size it in photoshop but then you get the black stripes on the sides.

squre format unless you re-size it in photoshop but then you get the black stripes on the sides.

yea.. a SQUARE format with black stripes! (as in the image is still square, right?)

hahaha contrary to what you have just stated I have seen some work on there that would blow away a majority of peoples photos on here. Pretty sure they didnt use their lomo type cameras but if they did then they did a dam good job.

Overall, I bet the percentage of good ones posted is much lower there then it is here... just due to the average type of user on there (cell phone, lomo stuff)

The creator(s) said that the point of Instagram (as they intended it) is not photography, but simply sharing a unique moment in your part of the world with the rest of the world.

At least they acknowledge that, from an artistic standpoint, most of Instagram is bull****.

REAL photographs are made on glass plates. Everybody knows that.

If it wasn't shot on a glass plate, it's $h!+.

Instagram is a social networking platform where you can edit your pictures and share it among the friends. Now you can share videos too through instagram.

Instagram is for those who can't read Twitter language.

I dunno...I've always said the *point* of Instagram seems to be to make your photos look just like mine did all those years back in the 60s and 70s when all I had was a Kodak instamatic. I spent years learning how to make my pictures STOP looking like that, so why would I want to go back?? :lmao:

Nevertheless, I do have an Instagram account. Not surprisingly, my username is sm4him... The primary reason I have it is because I'm the social media manager at work, so I pretty much HAVE to use these social media apps and understand how they work.
I primarily either take photos for work, or the occasional "fun" shot that I like to think is a step above the "look what I'm about to eat" pictures or "look at me hanging out in the bathroom, in front of the mirror" pictures. :D

I thought this explained a lot and is a bit amusing... lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back