What's the sharpest wide-angle Canon Lens?

vd853

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just sold my 70-200mm f4l is usm because I never need zoom angles. Anyways, that lens was pretty freaking sharp. I don't know if any wide-angle can compete with its sharpness. I can go with any lens that will fit EF/EF-S.

10-22mm Canon is super sharp and the Sigma 10-20 isn't far behind at a lower cost.

I am thinking either the 16-35mm f2.8l II or 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM. I heard that the 17-55mm is quite sharp, but does it fall inline with the L-series? The 16-35mm might be too expensive.

The 14mm L, the new TS-E's are quite impressive in terms of sharpness, and I'd take the 17-40 over the 16-35 II in terms of sharpness.

The 16-35 aren't really too awesome, few SWA's are.

for EF-S, i'd look into the 11-16, and for EF, the 17 TS-E, 14 L MkII, or adapting a 14-24 onto it if sharpness is your only concern.

TS-E are way out of my budget. I am considering the Tokina 11-16 2.8 as of now. It seems to have what I need, sharp, fast, and wide. Not to mention, quite a good review on Amazon.

Tokina 11-16 2.8 has thousands of fans. I will be getting the tokina over the canon 10-22 if that helps.

:thumbup: Count me among the fans. Sold my 10-22 for the Tokina.

WA, UWA, AP-H, FF, APS-C? 17-40 isn't very wide on an APS-C sensor, imo. It's barely wider than the kit lens.

I absolutely love using my Sigma 10-20mm. Its on my camera almost all the time when doing scenic shooting/landscapes/travel and sometimes even the occasional wide angle portrait. Great lens, great build quality and saved me some cash over the Canon variety.

Steve

Are you looking for a 'Wide Angle' lens, or just something that is wider than your 70-200mm?

Most people are recommending 'Ultra Wide Angle' lenses, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for.

The EF-S 17-55mm is indeed a very good lens. Practically everyone I know, that owns one, just love it. By all accounts, the image quality is on par with L lenses. Canon seems to think so too, based on the price of it. It does have a couple issues, one being that it's prone to getting a little dust inside the front element and the IS system seems to wear out with heavy (professional) use.

The 16-35mm F2.8 L II, is also a highly regarded lens. Expensive though, and some don't like it's flare characteristics. Might still be one of the best choices.
The 17-40mm F4 L is another great lens, and at a decent price for L quality.

Are you looking for a 'Wide Angle' lens, or just something that is wider than your 70-200mm?

Most people are recommending 'Ultra Wide Angle' lenses, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for.

The EF-S 17-55mm is indeed a very good lens. Practically everyone I know, that owns one, just love it. By all accounts, the image quality is on par with L lenses. Canon seems to think so too, based on the price of it. It does have a couple issues, one being that it's prone to getting a little dust inside the front element and the IS system seems to wear out with heavy (professional) use.

The 16-35mm F2.8 L II, is also a highly regarded lens. Expensive though, and some don't like it's flare characteristics. Might still be one of the best choices.
The 17-40mm F4 L is another great lens, and at a decent price for L quality.

Wide enough for portrait shots with scenery. I don't want to it to distort people's faces. I also need it to be fast and sharp.

I'll stick with my previous three suggestions.

EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS
EF 16-35mm F2.8 L II
EF 17-40mm F4 L

Most reactions

New Topics

Back