What's the story behind your user name?

I'm a man of many hobbies, including a firearm collector and enthusiast for 25 years.

I'm a big, arctic marine carnivore with thick white hair - no, wait, that's not right.

1. When I was a kid, we went to the National Zoo a lot. In the colder months (no crowds), most of the animals were inside the buildings or their "caves" - except the polar bears. I was always happy to see them out, and have loved them ever since.

2. I collect various versions of them.

DSC_3893 by cmwrenn3, on Flickr

My Canadian friends may see I proudly have a Twonie in my collection!

Mine is my first name. It was my grandfather's first name, and my father's middle name. It's an old family spelling of an old English name. My name is often misspelled; there are eight ways (at least eight) to spell my first name. Darrel, Darrell, Darrol, Darryle, Darryl, Darrol,Daryle, and Derrel.

Mine is my first name. It was my grandfather's first name, and my father's middle name. It's an old family spelling of an old English name. My name is often misspelled; there are eight ways (at least eight) to spell my first name. Darrel, Darrell, Darrol, Darryle, Darryl, Darrol,Daryle, and Derrel.

Is it pronounced the way it's spelled, with an /e/ in the first syllable, or with the broad /a/ as in Darrell?

People misspell and mispronounce my first name all the time. They think "Leonore" is pronounced like "Lenore" (it's not. Three syllables - Le-o-nore - stress on the first syllable) or they want to put an "a" in there somewhere: Leanore, Leonora, Lenora...

I've got a boring one too: just the initials of my long Portuguese name. I should probably change my avatar to a lemur, though, since that's how most people have said they pronounce 'limr' in their heads :)

Well I tried it that way in my head and I got a splitting headache. So in my head I just pronounce it "Bob". Works much better for me personally.. lol

Yeah, I pronounce it Derrrr-L.

Not like my friend Paul, from Boston....he used to say "Heya, Daaaahhhhhh-Ruhl! AND I often said, "Paaaaaawlllll, it's Derrrrr-rl, not Daaaahhhhhh-Ruhl! Now go paaaak mahhh caaaah ne-uhhh Haaaavad Skway-uuuhh, soonny-bwoyyyyy!"

I was thinking vintage as I've gotten into more and more antique and older cameras; then the name I was going to use along with that wasn't available and neither was the next one, or the next... so I was trying to think, what else? and somehow snapshots came to mind (maybe I was thinking midcentury and those square B&W photos w/the deckled edges).

A twonie, is that anything like a loonie, Snowbear?

Mine is a secret, if I told you the CIA would rush in and make you disappear.

well, my previous username was more interesting but it had to go....
now is just my name with "m" in front of

Besides the incredibly obvious (and the fact that I've posted Mini Cooper pics before), my son is named Cooper. We got him before we got the car. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back