What's your ailment?

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Inspired by JonMikal's thread

Seems everyone I have ever gotten to know real well in my life has had some kind of problem to overcome in their life. I know most people do not like to share this kind of information, but I am too old to give a damn. I also take the words "the truth shall set you free" quite literally.

I shall start.

I was born with a minor case of attention deficit disorder (ADD or HDD) As a child I could hardly ever sit still and got countless spankings for wondering away from home, couldn't help it as one thing would lead to anothter thing and soon I was miles away from home. One of the few things I could settle into where magazines, espeacially National Geographic, I could look at pictures all day and travel in mind.

I have been called absent minded professor quite often as I am alway forgetting the little things.
I don't have it so bad that casual acquaintances would notice, but my closer friends do and we can joke about it

Today the ADD has changed to being inattentive where I have a hard time to get motivated or up and at it. I understand that's a normal progression of the disorder. It can be very frustrating at times cause I am alway losing things but I have learned to adjust. I think in the big picture what I have is a small problem and I am comfortable with it.

Well if any one else would like to share by all means do so.

Hi John

and the truth shall set you free !!

I'm sure most people do have some or other bad thing to overcome. Guess I have been lucky in that sense. Nice home , nice family, etc.

Amazing how adaptable the human psiche is.

Can't say that I have had these huge stumbling blocks to overcome. Except maybe that I was classified as the 'nerd' (you know , the guy nobody wants to be friends with and everyone bullies) at school. Scary to know how hurtfull kids can be. Any way in the mean time i've Grown to 1.8m 125Kg. The bulling stopped !!! and I have had a few years to make peace with myself and those around me and live life to the full.

Well. that's my story in a nutshell.

Hanno

Well...I dont know if this is a problem so much anymore, because ive fought it, and ive gotten over it.

But, for a long time...till I was about...8...or...10 I cant remember, I was considerd clumsy and a bit dimand just a bit odd.
Eventually a teacher who was always slightly harsh to me worked it out, and I was diagnosed with "Dyspraxia" (And no I dont mean dislexia)
Its hard to explain, one person said its like walking down the stairs with binoculars on backwards, and no its not.
Few of these kids at school used to think its like a perminent drunk problem, and I believe thats the closest thing I can get to it.
Its like being slightly tipsy maybe, things dont always make sense, and often I need specific instructions to be able to do things properly, and still sufer from that today.

The physical side effects are simply Hand I Coordination, but I believe ive almost beaten that, I play drums, bit of piano, play games and can type a lot faster than my mum who traind to type.

However, this will also explain my terrible spelling, but I love my life before anyone thinks to say sorry :D Just making sure.

And photography is my passion, and my (slight) disability will not effect it, my love for photography is too strong to be ruind by me being an idiot.

Thanks,

Arty

I think I've had too many problems for being only 21...but here ya go:

-Had a bladder surgery when I was four
-Had asthma but only through childhood
-When I was in high school I had a rare headache disorder...called CPH, where I would get 3 plus headaches a day, similair to a migraine but much worse, and they could last 5 mins to an hour, sometimes causing loss of vision and other related things
-Had major back surgery at the age of 20 b/c I had spinal stenosis (not getting enough spinal fluid, so you can't feel your legs), degenerative disease, and a ruptured disc

Okay that's all so far, but I've still got the rest of my life to live :lol: I guess things like this cause you to see things differently, and I see them as a challenge and not so much as problems. Take everything with a smile :)

Artemis said:
Well...I dont know if this is a problem so much anymore, because ive fought it, and ive gotten over it.

And photography is my passion, and my (slight) disability will not effect it, my love for photography is too strong to be ruind by me being an idiot.

Now stop calling yourself a idiot.
BangHead.gif

here's to you Artemis :cheers:

eromallagadnama said:
- degenerative disease, and a ruptured disc

That's about all for me too but in three, maybe four discs. Sometimes I can sit down and lose all the feeling in my legs. That and the feeling like I've been running a marathon all night because the above mentioned disability caused restless leg syndrome. Aren't backs fun? :mrgreen:

I try my best to not let it slow me down in life. It already ended one career for me, I'm not going to let it take any more.

hobbes28 said:
Aren't backs fun?
If fun is only being able to stand for a few minutes and having injections into the spine by a foot long needle then yes :lol:

hobbes28 said:
I try my best to not let it slow me down in life. It already ended one career for me, I'm not going to let it take any more.

That's the best way to look at it :) I can't play soccer anymore and it kills me...so instead I referee :) It's the next best thing!

eromallagadnama said:
If fun is only being able to stand for a few minutes and having injections into the spine by a foot long needle then yes :lol:

I don't know...those little ones for the radius blocker shots were pretty bad too. :lmao:

I think it's funny how we can joke about those now when they shifted my entire pain scale two points. :shock: But it's good for us, my chronic back pain buddy.. :hug::

hobbes28 said:

Seems to be the wining approach yourself eromallagadnama and artimes have, not letting these things intrude on where you want to be.

I am sure glad I didn't want to become an air traffic controller when I was young :shock:

hobbes28 said:
That's about all for me too but in three, maybe four discs. Sometimes I can sit down and lose all the feeling in my legs. That and the feeling like I've been running a marathon all night because the above mentioned disability caused restless leg syndrome. Aren't backs fun? :mrgreen:

OMG! So that is some kind of illness/disorder?! I though that my legs are just tired because I play a lot of volleyball and I have some problems with my knee... but I have never thought that loosing the feeling in your legs (for a few seconds here) may be a problem though :/ you scared me guys...

ok going back to the topic... I never had any difficulities, I am lucky. ok when I was a kid I got cold all the time, and I couldn't spend time outside with kids because the freezing weather may have caused another cold or lung problems to me... but those times are far behind me.

Arti! YOU MUSTN"T CALL YOURSELF AN IDIOT! It's an order...

Hey Mentos...if that's been goin on for a while you might want to have it checked out. When I first found out about all my problems, I thought I pulled a muscle, and 6 months later went for an MRI and discovered I needed immediate surgery (and then still put that off for another 3 months).

From what I've been told if you just have a rupture disc usually no surgery is needed, but there are was to have them helped....my major problem was the stenosis...and it affected my knee as well (which was injured in soccer so I thought nothing of it).
My symptoms were simliar to yours, numbness...pain in the knee...low back, but only on one side.

Hopefully it's nothin serious Mentos, but I learned not to put things off and if you're worried to get it checked :lol:

ok... I'm afraid of a doctors... I didn't hear this discussion... walks silently off the board :p

I don't know how much of a drive you'd like to do but if you're really scared, there is a University Hospital in Homburg Germany (Not Hamburg, close to Kaiserslautern) that is one of the leading research in spinal conditions in the world. Now from where you live, it would only take about 13 hours of driving to get there but I would trust my spine with them...in fact, I already did once and would again.

Back pain is no fun. I won't pretend to know your pain, Hobbes and Amanda, but I have had back pain for most of my adult life.

My real burden is having caught a virus at age 20 that infected my heart and destroyed it. I'm now 8 years post heart transplant. It's been a long road, full of bumps and bruises, but I'm enjoying life and just doing the best I can, one day at a time.

Most reactions

Back