What's new

What's your brand of choice, and why?

Being a previous Canon film shooter, I expected to go digital with Canon. Until I put a Nikon in my mitts. I prefer the ergonomics of Nikon better.

Almost forgot.... my first camera was a Pentax.
 
Last edited:
I like Coca Cola. It's not quite a sweet as Pepsi.

Jone's Cane Sugar Soda > both and it's not made with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I actually prefer the taste of high fructose corn syrup over sugar. I tried a few of the "throwback" soft drinks as they came out and preferred the regular versions on all of them.
 
I have a 5d2, had I have known then what I know now, I would probably be a Nikon man.
 
I like Coca Cola. It's not quite a sweet as Pepsi.

Jone's Cane Sugar Soda > both and it's not made with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I actually prefer the taste of high fructose corn syrup over sugar. I tried a few of the "throwback" soft drinks as they came out and preferred the regular versions on all of them.


I agree those "throwback" sodas suck. I wonder if P*psico did that on purpose. It's obviously more profitable to go with HFCS.

Personaly I like Sprecher

Sorry no preference on Nikon vs Canon I'm sticking with Sony for awhile.

Honestly look at the bodies and find the one that has the best ergonomics for you.
 
Bring a memory card into a photo retailer - put into a Canon, take some shots; put it into an equivilent Nikon, take some shots. Do the same with Olympus and Pentax - which do you prefer? Bring the card home and see which looks better to you. Nikon and Canon are the big 2, doesn't mean they are "THE BEST" for you.
 
I shoot Canon because when I took one of my first photography classes in college, I needed a DSLR instead of my old Sony DSC-H2. Was looking at Sonys since I'd had Sony P&Ss for years and always had good luck with them. My professor, who spoke widely of his long photojournalism career, shot with a 1Ds and most of my class were shooting with Rebels or xxD Canon bodies. Call it a flip of the coin. I picked up the brand new Rebel XTi and stuck with it through three bodies and eight lenses, among other accessories.
 
Yep either line will keep a person happy. As both have outstanding camera and lenses. And a few not so fine cams and lenses. For me it was simple ergonomics which is a personal choice. I like the feel in my hand. Also preferred the button & menu layout of the nikon. Since it so much geared to personal preference I always recommend going in and handling the camera to find the best fit for the individual.
.
 
I went with Canon based on supertelephoto prices. I wanted to shoot nature photography, and it made the best sense to me.

That was one of my primary motivations when I started as well - along with the fact that canon make more highgrade lens options in the midrange price bracket (100-400mm, 400mm 5.6 and 300mm f4). Since those early days though two things have changed

1) I want the even bigger telephotos ;)

2) I discovered macro - now I'll always be a canon shooter - because canon have one totally unique lens that lets me get this kind of shot:
4344779826_cee2528eee.jpg

MPE 65mm macro - a wonderful if tricky lens to use! :mrgreen:
 
Sony is not bad

No Sony camera's aren't that bad. Sony definitely IS that bad.

So what brought that on? :lol:

Oh take your pick.
- I had a Sony music CD install a rootkit on my computer which effectively was almost impossible to remove and shortly after provided a neat attack vector for several viruses which used it to hide from antivirus.
- They for years forced overpriced inferior memory sticks down customer's throats not giving them the option to go for other memory cards.
- My friend's PS3 died and they refused a warranty replacement on the grounds that plugging the PS3 into a powerboard rather than directly into the wall somehow magically voids the warranty.
- When a whole host of PS3s started dying they offered to fix them .... for $150 (microsoft fixed their mass xbox problems for free)
- They did all sorts of very expensive underhanded deals with movie studios to get them to adopt Blu-Ray, a format they created simply because they thought Toshiba may actually make some money forcing customers into another Beta vs VHS.
- How about removing a PS3 feature that was once advertised and a major selling point only 2 months after the head of the PS3 division said they won't remove that feature. Then telling customers that they have the option NOT to update their PS3s and keep the feature, only to neglect telling them that they won't be able to play any newly released games. (This one made me angry as a student who worked at a university where some of our simulations were crunched on a cluster of PS3s which will now be rendered useless)

One closer to home: They released an EVIL camera which performed abysmally. After they were grilled in the press for it their marketing junkies said everyone was blowing it out of context since this actually wasn't the final product (lie) and was only released as a demo to reviewers and they knew about the quality problems (lie ... or truth depending on how evil / stupid you think they are.)

I'm also not that excited about sony's support given not only the warranty debacle on the PS3 but also their ability to charge a customer 61Euro for a spare part. Which sounds fine until you realise that spare part was actually .... a screw.

But sales are also not much better. Sony offered free PS3s with certain Bravia models, and then made customers wait 6 months to get them despite having plenty in stock.


These are just the cases I've heard about. Sorry but I can't take seriously a company which puts their customer absolute last, and jumps into every industry by buying another company to make a quick buck. It's a Sony was something once said with pride, but it now carries a stigma.
 
Sony is not bad

No Sony camera's aren't that bad. Sony definitely IS that bad.

So what brought that on? :lol:

Oh take your pick.
- I had a Sony music CD install a rootkit on my computer which effectively was almost impossible to remove and shortly after provided a neat attack vector for several viruses which used it to hide from antivirus.
- They for years forced overpriced inferior memory sticks down customer's throats not giving them the option to go for other memory cards.
- My friend's PS3 died and they refused a warranty replacement on the grounds that plugging the PS3 into a powerboard rather than directly into the wall somehow magically voids the warranty.
- When a whole host of PS3s started dying they offered to fix them .... for $150 (microsoft fixed their mass xbox problems for free)
- They did all sorts of very expensive underhanded deals with movie studios to get them to adopt Blu-Ray, a format they created simply because they thought Toshiba may actually make some money forcing customers into another Beta vs VHS.
- How about removing a PS3 feature that was once advertised and a major selling point only 2 months after the head of the PS3 division said they won't remove that feature. Then telling customers that they have the option NOT to update their PS3s and keep the feature, only to neglect telling them that they won't be able to play any newly released games. (This one made me angry as a student who worked at a university where some of our simulations were crunched on a cluster of PS3s which will now be rendered useless)

One closer to home: They released an EVIL camera which performed abysmally. After they were grilled in the press for it their marketing junkies said everyone was blowing it out of context since this actually wasn't the final product (lie) and was only released as a demo to reviewers and they knew about the quality problems (lie ... or truth depending on how evil / stupid you think they are.)

I'm also not that excited about sony's support given not only the warranty debacle on the PS3 but also their ability to charge a customer 61Euro for a spare part. Which sounds fine until you realise that spare part was actually .... a screw.

But sales are also not much better. Sony offered free PS3s with certain Bravia models, and then made customers wait 6 months to get them despite having plenty in stock.


These are just the cases I've heard about. Sorry but I can't take seriously a company which puts their customer absolute last, and jumps into every industry by buying another company to make a quick buck. It's a Sony was something once said with pride, but it now carries a stigma.

Yeah, Id pretty much agree with all that... :-P
 
Sony is not bad

No Sony camera's aren't that bad. Sony definitely IS that bad.

So what brought that on? :lol:

Oh take your pick.
- I had a Sony music CD install a rootkit on my computer which effectively was almost impossible to remove and shortly after provided a neat attack vector for several viruses which used it to hide from antivirus.
- They for years forced overpriced inferior memory sticks down customer's throats not giving them the option to go for other memory cards.
- My friend's PS3 died and they refused a warranty replacement on the grounds that plugging the PS3 into a powerboard rather than directly into the wall somehow magically voids the warranty.
- When a whole host of PS3s started dying they offered to fix them .... for $150 (microsoft fixed their mass xbox problems for free)
- They did all sorts of very expensive underhanded deals with movie studios to get them to adopt Blu-Ray, a format they created simply because they thought Toshiba may actually make some money forcing customers into another Beta vs VHS.
- How about removing a PS3 feature that was once advertised and a major selling point only 2 months after the head of the PS3 division said they won't remove that feature. Then telling customers that they have the option NOT to update their PS3s and keep the feature, only to neglect telling them that they won't be able to play any newly released games. (This one made me angry as a student who worked at a university where some of our simulations were crunched on a cluster of PS3s which will now be rendered useless)

One closer to home: They released an EVIL camera which performed abysmally. After they were grilled in the press for it their marketing junkies said everyone was blowing it out of context since this actually wasn't the final product (lie) and was only released as a demo to reviewers and they knew about the quality problems (lie ... or truth depending on how evil / stupid you think they are.)

I'm also not that excited about sony's support given not only the warranty debacle on the PS3 but also their ability to charge a customer 61Euro for a spare part. Which sounds fine until you realise that spare part was actually .... a screw.

But sales are also not much better. Sony offered free PS3s with certain Bravia models, and then made customers wait 6 months to get them despite having plenty in stock.


These are just the cases I've heard about. Sorry but I can't take seriously a company which puts their customer absolute last, and jumps into every industry by buying another company to make a quick buck. It's a Sony was something once said with pride, but it now carries a stigma.

OK, so Sony customer service is terrible. But, is customer service at Canon or Nikon really great, overall? I can't say that I have used customer service at any of them and have heard horror stories about them as well.

skieur
 
Sony is not bad

No Sony camera's aren't that bad. Sony definitely IS that bad.

So what brought that on? :lol:

edited for length


These are just the cases I've heard about. Sorry but I can't take seriously a company which puts their customer absolute last, and jumps into every industry by buying another company to make a quick buck. It's a Sony was something once said with pride, but it now carries a stigma.

So absolutely NO first hand experience?


I have nothing but good to say about Sony customer service. They replaced my A100 after I was having issues with the electronics on board. They quoted 250.00 I sent in the camera. My card was charged 50.00 for labor and parts where free, they said that the issue the camera had should not have ever been an issue so the placed my bottom plate on a refurbished body and returned it with in 10 days. camera was 2 years out of warranty.

Sony TV camcorder is 10 years old and still works like new Love that night shot!

That is why I bought the A55. is it perfect no but I know that Sony will stand behind it

Googling poor customer service "_______________"

Sony camera gets you 139K hits
Nikon gives you 148K hits
Canon 439K hits

By your estimation then because of words found on the internet Sony would be the best, Nikon second and Canon nearly 3 times worse.

We know that is not the case and your rantings about gaming consoles has little to do with their imaging era.

Oh since Sony is so evil and dastardly you might want to do away with many Nikon and Canon Cameras since they use Sony Processors and chips they must be part of the plot to control the world.

I have dealt with canon and Nikon back in the 70's and 80's, Nikon did a stellar job on customer service and Canon was horrid.
Took 6 weeks to get the camera back and it still was not right then they charged me 14.00 us for the little knob on the end of the film crank.........LOL

If I where to switch from Sony I would go Nikon
 
I've actually used Canon's repair service when two of the boards on my Rebel conked out on a Space Shuttle shoot.

EXCELLENT service, they replaced ALL of my grips and cleaned my sensor, replaced the defective boards, I think they even gave me a shutter count I can't remember. But I paid 259 dollars for that service so, I guess you get what you pay for.

I was out for a month but the end result is flawless I even got a 6-month warranty on the repair. Damn thing is a trooper it's never been dropped but it's been shot in some pretty harsh conditions, August Florida sun, Lake Tahoe snow, beach sand and sea salt.
 
You think this guy is "biased"?

"I would also add, for those who haven’t experienced an out-of-warranty repair on a Sony lens, the price will make you spit out your morning coffee. If you want to know how much higher, let’s just say it’s in proportion to the cost of a Sony lens hood compared to a Canon Lens hood. Alpha has some of the best lenses around, but say your nightly prayers that they don’t break."


LensRentals.com - Lens Repair Data 4.0



And do you think it's a coincidence that Sony users say stuff like...

If another FF comes it will be interesting to see what Sony's market strategy will be as most self respecting Pros will have been out off by Sonys failure to properly support their current flagship - the A900.

Re: Is Sony still committed to full-frame DSLRs?: Sony DSLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review



Just curious. :er:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom