What's new

What's your brand of choice, and why?

So absolutely NO first hand experience?

Aside from spending hours fighting with a rootkit on my computer, the cluster which we used for thesis no longer working (I tutored at uni while this came about so this is first hand), and my best mate's PS3 issues (basically first hand), and now having a useless HD-DVD player ... yeah :)

It's viewer bias. No more first hand experiences because frankly I don't own anymore Sony products and I likely won't ever again. But I wasn't googling for customer services. These are issues which MADE THE LOCAL NEWS, not something I was searching for. In some cases issues which went to court.

Try googling how many times Canon, Nikon, et al were taken to court by their customers, or worked together to annihilate a product from the opposition by doing underhanded deals.

I have used Nikon's customer service twice. They went to perfect lengths to ensure I was happy. Same with Sigma, despite the lens being classed as a grey market import, Sigma Japan not only looked at it under warranty, but gave me a new one, and even gave me their FedEx number to send it off so I don't incur expense.

Nothing anyone can say will change my opinion of Sony. Great cameras, but a rotten company run by rich dip****s.
 
I went with Canon because it was shinier, lol.

I don't really know why I picked Canon, but now I have too much stuff to switch. I like it though, I feel that I made the right choice.

edit
And yeah - I hate Sony too. :lol:

The only Sony product I own, and will continue to purchase as newer versions come out is a PlayStation. And that's just because the games I like (RPGs) are always on PlayStation. Microsoft doesn't know how to make a RPG... Fable is the only one I can remember that was alright.

I don't think I've seen any Xbox titles by Square Enix, or very few at least. When/if that changes, I *might* consider an Xbox...
 
Last edited:
Googling poor customer service "_______________"

Sony camera gets you 139K hits
Nikon gives you 148K hits
Canon 439K hits

By your estimation then because of words found on the internet Sony would be the best, Nikon second and Canon nearly 3 times worse.
Yet if you google just for ”Sony”, without sticking ”camera” on the end, the number of hits suddenly jumps by 870k, up to 2.21 million. Nearly four times the amount of Canon and Nikon combined. You can also search for ”Nikon camera” and ”Canon camera”. Doing so drops the results for Canon down to 111k.

Seems that your search was rather biased, especially considering you decided to ignore most of Sony goods in the search for them, but still included all non-camera Canon stuff. When put on an even keel, it really doesn't look so good for Sony. Funny that.
 
Sony is not bad

No Sony camera's aren't that bad. Sony definitely IS that bad.

So what brought that on? :lol:

- They for years forced overpriced inferior memory sticks down customer's throats not giving them the option to go for other memory cards.

I would agree that sony is a brand that i wouldn't like to try ever again.
Just that memory stcik fiasko was enough for me to stay far far away from sony.
Oh and the Sony Trinitron Tv sets, you would literally see two lines in the mid of the screen holding some components together.
 
Googling poor customer service "_______________"

Sony camera gets you 139K hits
Nikon gives you 148K hits
Canon 439K hits

By your estimation then because of words found on the internet Sony would be the best, Nikon second and Canon nearly 3 times worse.
Yet if you google just for ”Sony”, without sticking ”camera” on the end, the number of hits suddenly jumps by 870k, up to 2.21 million. Nearly four times the amount of Canon and Nikon combined. You can also search for ”Nikon camera” and ”Canon camera”. Doing so drops the results for Canon down to 111k.

Seems that your search was rather biased, especially considering you decided to ignore most of Sony goods in the search for them, but still included all non-camera Canon stuff. When put on an even keel, it really doesn't look so good for Sony. Funny that.

Yes it was on purpose to just show how insane the entire rant was.

Sony camera poor customer service 140K

canon camera poor customer service 112K

Nikon camera poor customer service 149K

Lets google the reverse then and leave out camera

Great customer service Sony. 37.8 Million

Great customer service Canon 2.2 million

Great customer service Nikon 1.5 million

new search:

Sony sucks 280K

Canon sucks 1.1 million

Nikon sucks 400K


makes Sony look stellar...which we know is not true...we all know that all companies have had their share of screw ups.....makes canon look evil LOL
 
Last edited:
I don't think I've seen any Xbox titles by Square Enix, or very few at least. When/if that changes, I *might* consider an Xbox...

FFXIII was coming out on the Xbox though it seems square have joined the groups that like to cross post only part of their series - so you get some games (most) on the Playstation and some others on the Xbox - really infuriating considering that prices of these new generation consoles has always been far too high for a gaming machine.

Heck the new DS from nintendo is looking to push the £100 boundary by a large margin - just for games its too much! :(
 
I went with Nikon because of the Glass. I've used Nikon glass on my Rifles, and am familiar with it, and trust it to be clear, crisp and gather a decent amount of light. I figured that would transfer over to the camera world, and so far, I'm not disappointed.

I Also liked the ergonomics of the Nikon body a wee bit more than Cannon. Both companies seemed to be on par with offerings, quality and the like.
 
Oh and the Sony Trinitron Tv sets, you would literally see two lines in the mid of the screen holding some components together.

Actually the Trinitron was a stellar product. It widely known that you need two wires to hold the screens together. It was a trade off for what was widely regarded the best picture vs having no lines. This is one of the few things I can't fault them for.

makes Sony look stellar...which we know is not true...

Just look through the news. Or better yet why not search for the company name under the local consumer protection site.

For the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission:
Sony - 125
Nikon - 3
Canon - 11

:)
 
So uh... anyway.

Nikon is my brand of choice, why? Most importantly it feels right and the layout makes sense to me a lot more than any other brand I tried, it was an easy decision as far as that goes. I've been very happy with my choice and have owned the N75, D40, D60, D80, D5000, D90, D200, D5000, D300s and D7000. Always on the lookout for good deals on D50's and D70's to try them out as well. :)

Someday I may go full frame, but for now I'm very happy and content with crop bodies.
 
Sony makes cameras because consumer electronics is what they do.

Nikon and Canon make cameras because it's who they were, and still are.

Pentax is still thinking about it.
 
Sony makes cameras because consumer electronics is what they do.

Nikon and Canon make cameras because it's who they were, and still are.

Pentax is still thinking about it.

Ill admit, that made me chuckle... :lol:


Especially the last part... :-P
 
I don't think I've seen any Xbox titles by Square Enix, or very few at least. When/if that changes, I *might* consider an Xbox...

FFXIII was coming out on the Xbox though it seems square have joined the groups that like to cross post only part of their series - so you get some games (most) on the Playstation and some others on the Xbox - really infuriating considering that prices of these new generation consoles has always been far too high for a gaming machine.

Heck the new DS from nintendo is looking to push the £100 boundary by a large margin - just for games its too much! :(

How are the prices too high, considering that both Sony and Microsoft sold their gaming consoles for HUGE loss!

If you adjust for inflation, games and consoles in the 80's were just as expensive to buy, yet the games were about 50 times cheaper to make!

BTW: I chose nikon because they're a camera company, at least that's what my grandfather told me; along with offering to give me a bunch of sick glass.
 
Nikon- cuz when I was looking for a DSLR that would make me awesome, the D40 was the least expensive and (IMO) best entry level DSLR.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom