What's your fastest lens?

my fav lens is a sigma 70-200 but the lowest fstop is 3.5. is there something faster for weddings or indoor without really breaking the bank?
thanks,
steve
i'm using a 20D

Faster usually means breaking the bank....... especially for zooms.

Used Canon 28-70 f2.8 L (replaced by the 24-70) still go for about $800

I have a fairly old Tamron 35-105 f2.8 Aspherical lens that I have enjoyed for well over 6 years. Slow and noisy AF but the glass is really nice. Build is solid. Brand new, it was listed close to $800 but I purchased it for $400 after it was discontinued. Kinda hard to find now a days but sometimes ebay has them for just under $200.

If you want fast without breaking the bank.. stick to primes. For the price of a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L, you can buy a canon 50mm f1.4 plus a canon 80mm f1.8 with lots cash to spare...

Still don't think that max aperture difference between 1.7 or 1.8 versus 1.4 alone is not worth the extra cash. Not even talking about a stop. Other qualities, focal length, quality of glass, blade count, etc.. will be the deciding factor.

For an intimate low light situation... I like 35mm. At that focal length f2 versus f1.8 (or even f1.4) isn't that big a deal... especially at wider angles which can be handheld at slightly slower shutter speeds than telephoto focal ranges.

This is pretty much the same for 50mm focal lengths. Its not a consideration of f1.4 versus f1.8 but the other things that the 50mm f1.4 brings to the table. Same with the new 85mm lenses.. many stick with the 85mm f1.8 over the f1.2L because its far more compact and the price difference is HUGE.

Now at Canon 135mm f2L is really a fast lens worth the extra cash. Why? Not because of the fast max aperture but because of the max aperture of f2 PLUS the long focal length and its wonderful contrasty glass. It's not a 1.2 or 1.4 but its the fastest telephoto in the Canon line.. and worth the extra cash because its fast AND long focal length AND contrast.

Simply pointing out that a blanket statement that faster is worth it is over simplifying everything.

guitarkid said:
is there something faster for weddings or indoor without really breaking the bank?
i'm using a 20D

Canon 50mm f/1.8 for about $75.

thanks guys. i will look into stuff. i don't have that much cash since i'm starting up in photography and dropped all the money i had on that and advertising. i would love a telephoto so i don't have to change lenses every 5 mins. = break the bank.

steve

Most reactions

New Topics

Back