What’s your favorite lens?

GorillaJJitsu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would say I’m a little more of a beginner, but I feel I’ve delved too into the “hype lenses”. Don’t even know if there can technically be a hype lens. I’m just saying more along the lines of the 85mm and 50mm. I currently Own an Ef L series 24-105mm 4.0 , an Ef 85mm 1.8, and a 50mm 1.8. Typical for my level right?

I’m looking to see what lenses you guys think are killer and a little under rated. Looking forward to hearing what you guys like!

My favorite would probably be the 70 to 200 or the slightly older 80-200 zooms. in the f/4 speedthis type of lens is very small and handy. When owned in the F2.8 speed this lens is much bigger and more of a load to pack.

If you shoot a crop sensor camera then the choice of lenses becomes a little bit different.based upon the lenses that you say you are using, I am going to assume that you own a full frame camera. As far as underrated lenses go I would list one lens length for canon and that is their 100 mm F2 and their 200 mm F2.8.

My favorite would probably be the 70 to 200 or the slightly older 80-200 zooms. in the f/4 speedthis type of lens is very small and handy. When owned in the F2.8 speed this lens is much bigger and more of a load to pack.

If you shoot a crop sensor camera then the choice of lenses becomes a little bit different.based upon the lenses that you say you are using, I am going to assume that you own a full frame camera. As far as underrated lenses go I would list one lens length for canon and that is their 100 mm F2 and their 200 mm F2.8.

Ah ok! And yes i have A full frame. That 70-200mm is good for landscape and portrait right?

Also for landscape I love the 24-105mm but not the chromatic vignette I get in the corners. Not the sharpest photos but nice and wide open.

I have A 6d Mark ii. I’m already saving for an investment on a new camera body. I’m not opposed to Nikon as i have a d5100 (old), but i love Canon. Any top choices you would have for a body upgrade?

I think the Canon 6D Mark is apretty good camera,what if I were to go Nikon these days I would buy a used D800 for $600-$650. The 36 megapixel sensor in the D800 is really quite good, and I think it is the best used Camera value at the current time.

Yes for about 10 years I had that 24 to 105L, And while it is a super handy lens
It is not as good as say, the 100 mm macro, or the 85 mm 1.8,it is a fantastic all in one lens. All the focal lengths that you really need for everyday shooting are in there,ibetween 24 mm and 105 mm, and f/4 these days (when we have cameras capable of really good pictures at ISO 400 or even higher)...
It's quite adequate, now that we are no longer limited to ISO 100 or 200.
As long as the 6D Mark two is doing it for you, I see no need really to upgrade, unless you want a more sophisticated focusing system.

One of the advantages of the Nikon system is its ability to use older lenses made in the 1970s, 80s, 90s,and the first 20 years of this century. For example a 1980s 80-200 mm f/4 AIS zoom is available for less than $100 and is an amazingly sharp and small lens. No, it does not have autofocusing, but Nikon has a visual green dot indicator of correct focus in the viewfinder, and even has arrows Which show you which way to turn the lens to arrive at perfect focus.

Last edited:
In native Canon EF mount The older 70 to 200 F4 model is available quite affordable, and while it is not as good as the new f/4 model which has image stabilizer, it is still a pretty good length, and the price is really fair these days.

For about 10 years I had the 70 to 200 mm F2.8 L IS-USM model, Which is a rather good lens, but it is rather big. I really don't feel that F2.8 is all that valuable most of the time, and my preference is for a smaller and lighter lens. Over the past decade Canon has come out with a line of high-quality ultra sharp f/4f Maximum Aperture Zoom lenses.

I will probably have a different answer for this every time I revisit this thread, but I definitely have my favorites right now. I use a crop sensor body, but it's easy enough to interpolate the ranges for full frame.
  • The most useful lenses I have are a 17-55 f/2.8 normal zoom, or if I want to travel light, a 35mm f/1.8. I don't love them and they aren't particularly exciting focal lengths, but I can get pretty much any shot I need with these without having to carry a bag or additional gear.
  • My favorite lenses to shoot with right now are a 50mm f/1.8 and an 11-16 f/2.8. The 50mm is everyone's go-to lens, but as long as I'm not in any tight spaces, I love the results I can get with it. It's still wide enough that I'm not limited to tight headshots or standing 50' away from my subject, and it's easy enough to blur the background for nice separation, with more pleasing bokeh than zooms that cover a similar range. The ultra-wide angle lens has just been fun to work with, especially with people as my subjects. There's a unique challenge to using this lens at the wide end with people in the shot, but can produce really interesting shots if done well.

No real favorite lens.
I treat my lenses like tools in a tool box.
I use the best/most appropriate lens for the shoot.

In your case, now that you have been shooting for a while, sit down and think
  • What do you want to shoot, that your current gear is holding you back?
    • Do you want to shoot field sports or birds, but your 24-105 is not long enough?
    • Do you want to shoot CLOSE UP, but your lenses won't focus close enough?
  • What would you like to "play" with.
    • This is the "wild card" as it may not fit with a master plan, and could simply be "a lens that you always wanted to try."
    • My "toy" is a mirror/reflex lens.
  • Make a LONG TERM master plan of your lens landscape that you would like to build.
    • This is a "real" plan, that you can afford, not a dream that you can't afford.
    • The plan should be based on YOUR needs, wants, ideas, etc.
      • Example1 - I shoot sports, so part of my lens plan is based on lenses that I need to shoot sports.
        • My 18-140 was too slow for gym sports, so I got a 35/1.8 and 50/1.8.
        • If your kids play field sports you need one set of lens(es) vs. gym sports which will require a different set of lens(es).
        • Some field sports progress from day games in middle school to night games in high school. So your gear plan has to change as well.
      • Example2 - My wife wants to shoot close up of flowers, so my plan includes a macro lens + 4-way rail, for her.
      • Example3 - I am older, so I can't carry the HEAVY gear I used to. So I have a "light" gear kit for travel, and a different "heavier" gear kit for home and close to the car.
    • As your interest changes over time, you have to revisit and update the plan.
      • Example, if you start shooting concerts or surfing, that may require different lenses than in your plan.
  • Then think about how, which lens and in which order you will build that landscape.
    • This is the roadmap that you use to build the lens landscape.
    • If your budget only allows one or two lenses a year, consider that.
    • There may be temporary lenses in the roadmap
      • Example1 - A 28-200 now, to be replaced with a 24-70 and 70-200 later.
      • Example2 - But that lighter 28-200 may also be part of your travel kit, rather than the HEAVY pro lenses, so it may NOT get sold.

You are your best judge of what would be best for your situation. If you like people photography, an umbrella and a speedlight and a lightstand would be worth a LOT.

If you like wildlife and bird photography, a 150-600mm zoom would be good.

If you like portraiture, a 70-200mm zoom would be handy.

If you like macro work, a 180mm f/3.5 Canon L would be fun.

No real favorite lens.

• Do you want to shoot field sports or birds, but your 24-105 is not long enough?
    • This is the "wild card" as it may not fit with a master plan, and could simply be "a lens that you always wanted to try."
  • Make a LONG TERM master plan of your lens landscape that you would like to build.
    • This is a "real" plan, that you can afford, not a dream that you can't afford.
      • Example1 - I shoot sports, so part of my lens plan is based on lenses that I need to shoot sports.
        • If your kids play field sports you need one set of lens(es) vs. gym sports which will require a different set of lens(es).
        • Some field sports progress from day games in middle school to night games in high school. So your gear plan has to change as well.
      • Example2 - My wife wants to shoot close up of flowers, so my plan includes a macro lens + 4-way rail, for her.
      • Example3 - I am older, so I can't carry the HEAVY gear I used to. So I have a "light" gear kit for travel, and a different "heavier" gear kit for home and close to the car.
      • Example, if you start shooting concerts or surfing, that may require different lenses than in your plan.
  • Then think about how, which lens and in which order you will build that landscape.
      • Example2 - But that lighter 28-200 may also be part of your travel kit, rather than the HEAVY pro lenses, so it may NOT get sold.
Wow wow ow wow. Mind blown!!!!

You are your best judge of what would be best for your situation. If you like people photography, an umbrella and a speedlight and a lightstand would be worth a LOT.

If you like wildlife and bird photography, a 150-600mm zoom would be good.

If you like portraiture, a 70-200mm zoom would be handy.

If you like macro work, a 180mm f/3.5 Canon L would be fun.
Man see! Pulling out a 180mm 3.5 ? Never even heard of it! Haha.

I will probably have a different answer for this every time I revisit this thread, but I definitely have my favorites right now. I use a crop sensor body, but it's easy enough to interpolate the ranges for full frame.
  • The most useful lenses I have are a 17-55 f/2.8 normal zoom, or if I want to travel light, a 35mm f/1.8. I don't love them and they aren't particularly exciting focal lengths, but I can get pretty much any shot I need with these without having to carry a bag or additional gear.
  • My favorite lenses to shoot with right now are a 50mm f/1.8 and an 11-16 f/2.8. The 50mm is everyone's go-to lens, but as long as I'm not in any tight spaces, I love the results I can get with it. It's still wide enough that I'm not limited to tight headshots or standing 50' away from my subject, and it's easy enough to blur the background for nice separation, with more pleasing bokeh than zooms that cover a similar range. The ultra-wide angle lens has just been fun to work with, especially with people as my subjects. There's a unique challenge to using this lens at the wide end with people in the shot, but can produce really interesting shots if done well.
Dude thanks for the response! The 11-16? Is that a very small frame kind of lense? Never heard of it!

No real favorite lens.

Wow wow ow wow. Mind blown!!!!

It is, having the luck to have good teachers/mentors, to teach me lens planning.
And "learning from your mistakes." Luckily they were few, and not terribly expensive.

I think the Canon 6D Mark is apretty good camera,what if I were to go Nikon these days I would buy a used D800 for $600-$650. The 36 megapixel sensor in the D800 is really quite good, and I think it is the best used Camera value at the current time.

Yes for about 10 years I had that 24 to 105L, And while it is a super handy lens
It is not as good as say, the 100 mm macro, or the 85 mm 1.8,it is a fantastic all in one lens. All the focal lengths that you really need for everyday shooting are in there,ibetween 24 mm and 105 mm, and f/4 these days (when we have cameras capable of really good pictures at ISO 400 or even higher)...
It's quite adequate, now that we are no longer limited to ISO 100 or 200.
As long as the 6D Mark two is doing it for you, I see no need really to upgrade, unless you want a more sophisticated focusing system.

One of the advantages of the Nikon system is its ability to use older lenses made in the 1970s, 80s, 90s,and the first 20 years of this century. For example a 1980s 80-200 mm f/4 AIS zoom is available for less than $100 and is an amazingly sharp and small lens. No, it does not have autofocusing, but Nikon has a visual green dot indicator of correct focus in the viewfinder, and even has arrows Which show you which way to turn the lens to arrive at perfect focus.

Some of my sharpest photos on my d5100 were with the ax 35mm 1.8 manual focus so i totally agree. Nikon tends to lean more toward “sharper” than canon. May just be a person opinion and not fact...

My Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8.
It is fantastic optically and I find the ability to zoom a huge plus. It also has VR so it makes hand holding it easier.
I have a Nikon 1.7x tele-converter that I can use with it for extra reach.

But a close second is my Pro-Optic 8mm f/3.5 fisheye. I have had tons of fun being creative with it. It has a huge DOF and, when stepped down a little, everything is in focus.

At the moment, my walk-around is a 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5, with the 24mm f/1.8 a very close second.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back