when do I start charging?

Haha, no biggie, it happens :) Still good shots though!

Do what most people do.

Do the shoot and when they ask how much, casually say

"fifty bucks'll do it" or "a case of beer?"

See it more as an odd job for a mate than anything else at this point.

Or simply do it for the benefit of building your portfolio.

Everyone wants to start their own business, and noone wants to actually work as a photographer for someone else these days. How about you apply for a few jobs in shops where they do portrait photography like "star shots", or do christmas photos one year at a Santa stand. Try and get a casual job in photography and progress from there.

Everyone wants to be a professional photographer, but noone wants to actually work for someone else or do the leg work.

Do you feel as though your work is good enough to go to a job interview for a professional photographer position? If not, i would say you're not ready to charge for anything other than the cost to print the photos (if you print it for you friends and family).

But that's just my opinion.

there are several videos and blog posts regarding 10,000 hours. put 10,000 hours into your craft - be it photography, small engine repair, professional coffee brewer - and you'd by then have the necessary skills and experience to do something for a living.
I take that with a grain of salt, and add that when you no longer feel it necessary to ask questions like this, you'd be ready to start charging. Basically, when you feel confident enough to take peoples' money for what ever you're doing.

If these will blow up to 8X10's, start charging now. It's been my experience that laymen will pay for anything that beats their P&S's.:D

I say start making money now. why not? If people are liking your work and are asking "how much"? , that would tell me that are willing to pay. You have a great eye so start making money doing what you love. I do agree that when you start to charge the expectation is a bit higher but that can only make you a better photographer and give you the extra cash to get the equipment that you really want. :0) I say go for it! Good luck!

I think that charging for pictures and dealing with the critiques that come from paying customers would take the fun out of it. It turns from hobby to work.. Who wants that?

Most reactions

Back