When do you use your compact?

I have my hacked (CHDK) Canon SX200is which is admittedly more portable than my System SLR, used when I do not want to be seen with my dSLR. Because of CHDK, I can still shoot RAW which is good, but I don't have larger apertures for portraits.

Then, there is my Fuji Finepix W3. What's so special about this compact? 3D! :-D Dual Lenses, Far apart, great for 3D shots. I then have a kit set up for manipulating the pictures in post:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/250570-3d-cameras-mpo-file-editing.html

Last edited:
I use my rather compact rangefinder for when I'm hanging with friends, family or on vacation.

At least that's when I'm planning on using it, I only got it a month ago.

What do you consider a compact? Leica M? X100? Something smalller like Olympus XA? I guess for me, the question would be, when do I use my dslr? since I use the other three most of the time.. the answer would be I mostly just use the dslr when i'm shooting for someone else.

I see you posting pics all the time In the Olympus XA User's Collective on Flickr, Bhop. :)

I don't seem to get as many 'group worthy' photos as you, but I do use my XA a lot.

I have a m4/3 for my compact, which works well for me. I recently bought my partner a Canon S95. She just returned this weekend from a two week business trip to Botswana. I'm interested to see her results. BTW, she is not what you would consider a photographer..... literally a point and shooter..... :lol:

I dont use a compact. Their not fast enough. The lag time between shots is rediculous. The buffers are small. And the images arent that great. And to answer a previous post, quite a few compacts shoot in raw.

Why do people "insist" on calling them "Micro 4/3rds"? The original designation is E.V.I.L.s

Electronic
Viewfinder
Interchange
Lens

MUCH more awesome. :-D

I us my compact for concerts as most venues dont seem to care about small cameras. I do also use it on flowers sometimes as the close focusing is way better than my DSLR.

I don't. I gave mine to my 4 year old :)

I'd get rid of it and buy another lens for the slr.
Here is why.
For anything serious that you do with a camera, you'll be doing it with the SLR while shooting in raw .
The compact or bridge, or what have you, then becomes a boat anchor with a lens.

Iphone 4s is my quick use camera.... Never neaded anything else....

Took my old compact with to a death metal concert and played with it, haven't looked at anything yet, but am not expecting any wall hangers, maybe something different.

I see you posting pics all the time In the Olympus XA User's Collective on Flickr, Bhop. :)

I don't seem to get as many 'group worthy' photos as you, but I do use my XA a lot.

Thanks. The XA is tiny, but it's one of my favorite cameras. Rangefinder focusing, sharp 2.8 lens, aperture priority with a meter that's always spot on. Love that thing.. the only thing that'd make it better would be if you could set the iso to 1600.

I'd get rid of it and buy another lens for the slr.
Here is why.
For anything serious that you do with a camera, you'll be doing it with the SLR while shooting in raw .
The compact or bridge, or what have you, then becomes a boat anchor with a lens.

You gotta get the right compact!

I only shoot RAW with my compact. The 14 bit -- that's right 14 bit -- RAW files from my compact are excellent! I control exposure in either P, S, A or full M mode on my compact which by the way also allows me to sync up an external flash if needed.

If the auto focus on my compact isn't doing the job I switch to full manual focus. It's macro capability is awesome and also permits full manual focus.

My compact has a fully articulated live-view AMOLED screen that makes the LCD on your SLR just look sorry. It permits me to do things like shoot around corners that no SLR can do and/or take photos from 3 inches above the ground without lying on my belly -- try that with your SLR.

The zoom lens on my compact is better than any kit zoom lens sold on any SLR. It's also better than most non-kit zooms sold on most SLRs. It's also an f/1.8 max aperture zoom -- good luck getting that on your SLR. Yes, I can't carry extra lenses around and change then as needed. I'm stuck with this single awesomely superior optic and if it's not the focal length I need, I'm screwed. I take my compact to the grocery store. Who takes their SLR and multiple lenses to the grocery store?

Yes my compact has a smaller sensor that's noisier at high ISOs. Fortunately that f/1.8 zoom lets me keep the ISO down. And yes it takes it's good old time writing those gorgeous 14 bit RAW files to the SD card so it's not too good for sports action -- pisser!

Then again, at half the price, it swats down the IQ of just about any entry level SLR with a cr*p kit zoom and it fits in my pocket and goes everywhere I go. I use it almost every day.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back