When it comes to Digital SLR

Nikon or Canon when it comes to Digital SLR

• Total voters
im going for Canon..................but thats just because i never had a Nikon. But im lovin it (sounds like a McDonalds commercial..................darn, now im hungry)

Canon has better autofocus and generally better camera bodies, but nikon has a slight edge on lenses and their flash systems are better. so it really depends on more than just the body.

thebeginning said:
Canon has better autofocus and generally better camera bodies, but nikon has a slight edge on lenses and their flash systems are better. so it really depends on more than just the body.

Really? I havn't been to pleased with the AF on the 20D.

It's impossible to answer that question without knowing which specific models you have in mind. I would pick the Nikon D70 over the Canon digital Rebel in a heart beat but would take the 10D or 20D over the D70. In order to give you good advice, we'd have to know which level of DSLR you're looking to buy.

Eric - Canon AF systems are a bit quirky. Once you figure out how they tick, they are really quite good.

photogoddess said:
It's impossible to answer that question without knowing which specific models you have in mind. I would pick the Nikon D70 over the Canon digital Rebel in a heart beat but would take the 10D or 20D over the D70. In order to give you good advice, we'd have to know which level of DSLR you're looking to buy.

exactly.

also, the best autofocusing canons that i know of are their high end DSLRs (most notbly the 1dmkII if i remember correctly).

I agree with Photogoddess completely, without knowing what level you're looking at and what you're shooting I can't blindly assume which brand will work best for you. We shoot with both Canon and Nikon cameras and like them both for different reasons.

AlisonPower said:
I agree with Photogoddess completely, without knowing what level you're looking at and what you're shooting I can't blindly assume which brand will work best for you. We shoot with both Canon and Nikon cameras and like them both for different reasons.

We're both Canon girls that hooked up with Nikon boys and now we swing both ways. :lol: Now I know why we're soul sisters. ;)

So Deviant26, exactly what models are you considering?

i am a Canon fan personally, i have never used a Nikon really, but i love how Canons are layed out as far as their menus and over all use

but like i said i am a Canon fan, if they started to make cereal i would so put back the box of Tony the Tiger for the Canon 'Os

It really does depend on the model of camera that Deviant is considering. Having shot with both Canon and Nikon gear on a regular basis, I can see pros and cons to both.... depending on the model. Sound like broken record yet? :lol:

photogoddess said:
It's impossible to answer that question without knowing which specific models you have in mind.

Well Im looking to spend around a $1000. I take a lot of nature and love macro photo. Hope that helps and thx for the votes so far, I woudl have thought the opposite.
Auto Focus is good, but if I can focus a better picture manually, I'll do that.

Canon have new censor technology that kind of acts like a pixel based light compressor/limiter effectively allowing the camera to capture a much wider dynamic range.

You may (or may not) concider this type of issue in terms of future compatibility if you're likely to spend a lot of money on lenses.

<edit> I guess I should point out that these new sensors aren't currently in use and most likely won't be for a few years yet. It's just an example. ;) </edit>

With a budget around $1000 - I'm voting for the Nikon D70! I've used both and IMO it's a superior camera to the D-Rebel... more bang for the buck! And we've shot landscapes side by side with my 10D and my boyfriend's D70 and I like the quality right out of the D70 better. :thumbsup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back