When people just don't get it

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just returned from a vacation with six other adults, none of whom knows (or cares to know) a thing about photography. Before going, I mentioned that I planned on spending some time taking photographs with my new DSLR, and they said, "no problem, that's cool." All knew I had been spending a good amount of time learning a lot about picture-takin' lately.

So, on day two, we're in a secluded fishing village. I notice a small, bright yellow house isolated atop a bright green hill. I tell the group I want a shot of this house and to keep walking, I'll catch up. I spend maybe five minutes thinking about composition, exposure, etc. and taking perhaps four shots from different angles.

As I'm doing this, I hear: "Why is he taking a picture of that house?" "Is he still taking pictures of that same house?" "Hey, got enough pictures yet?" Then, afterwards: "Sure you got enough pictures of that yellow house?" "Hey, maybe we'll see another yellow house and you can take some more pictures!"

All of this was said light-heartedly, of course. But behind the good-natured teasing lied a genuine lack of understanding as to why anyone would ever consider taking such a photo.

I laughed it off, but I am so tempted, even now, to open up a discussion about depth of field, use of color, aperture selection, early morning lighting, use of a polarizing filter, shutter speed choices, ISO, etc. etc...all as it relates to the yellow house.

These are all caring, intelligent, sensitive people, some of them family members. I guess ignorance is their only crime.

Comments?

I have been in your shoes. When I first started getting into photography we had taken a trip to the mountains and I wanted to "get some photos" I learned after the first excursion to just find away to get out by myself. That way I could take as much time as I needed, and get whatever shot I wanted without slowing down the group. Now that I have been doing it awhile people are more understanding, but I actually enjoy getting off on my own anyway. Don't worry, once you start showing off some great shots they will start to realize sometimes a yellow house is more then a "yellow house". Good luck!

You can do two things. Forget about it or do something about it. Personally, none of my friends really question me anymore when they've seen the finished product.

I wondered if people asked Pablo Picasso if he was done with his art.

When people ask you questions like do you have enough pictures. Say no! hehe
Or why are you taking the picture, why not!!! :)

I run into this all the time. I brush it off. I can't pull my tripod out when I'm with my family as they would get impatient. When I really want to spend time on a subject, I just do and forget about the comments.

Here is a picture that my friend drew on Facebook. The guy in the picture is ME!

yayweeds.jpg

Here is one of the pictures that I was lying on the ground taking when that specific time she made fun of me.

http://flickr.com/photos/7575100@N05/2321302005/

Not GREAT, I know but it WAS a "weed", afterall! :lol:

So basically, you're not the only one lol

Don't laugh it off, explain it to them.

This is often easier said than done. It is easier to do if they have an appreciation for the final results, because then you can show them how they were obtained. If they are not photo-philes, no amount of explaining will get them to understand why we 'waste our time' as we do (just as no amount of explaining will make my kids enjoy opera as much as I do).

This is often easier said than done. It is easier to do if they have an appreciation for the final results, because then you can show them how they were obtained. If they are not photo-philes, no amount of explaining will get them to understand why we 'waste our time' as we do (just as no amount of explaining will make my kids enjoy opera as much as I do).

I hear you, but you won't get anywhere if you don't try. That's usually the problem. People then complain how others don't understand them, but a good talk goes a long way. If you think explaining will not help for a certain group of not photo-philes, the only solution I see is to not go on a trip with them. Or don't take long photosessions if you do.

pascal

I just returned from a vacation with six other adults, none of whom knows (or cares to know) a thing about photography. Before going, I mentioned that I planned on spending some time taking photographs with my new DSLR, and they said, "no problem, that's cool." All knew I had been spending a good amount of time learning a lot about picture-takin' lately.

So, on day two, we're in a secluded fishing village. I notice a small, bright yellow house isolated atop a bright green hill. I tell the group I want a shot of this house and to keep walking, I'll catch up. I spend maybe five minutes thinking about composition, exposure, etc. and taking perhaps four shots from different angles.

As I'm doing this, I hear: "Why is he taking a picture of that house?" "Is he still taking pictures of that same house?" "Hey, got enough pictures yet?" Then, afterwards: "Sure you got enough pictures of that yellow house?" "Hey, maybe we'll see another yellow house and you can take some more pictures!"

All of this was said light-heartedly, of course. But behind the good-natured teasing lied a genuine lack of understanding as to why anyone would ever consider taking such a photo.

I laughed it off, but I am so tempted, even now, to open up a discussion about depth of field, use of color, aperture selection, early morning lighting, use of a polarizing filter, shutter speed choices, ISO, etc. etc...all as it relates to the yellow house.

These are all caring, intelligent, sensitive people, some of them family members. I guess ignorance is their only crime.

Comments?

There's a time and place for everything. I'm a CG guy and no one understands that. I went to a friends house once many years back now, to attend a small gathering of old-timers in Japan. I was going on about CG tools and techniques and one person (the host) had enough and opened up a contrasting topic that he thought I couldn't participate in as a means of demonstrating my unwitting exclusionary rudeness. Being a professional translator himself, he brought up kanji translation dictionaries which I felt right at home discussing but his point was never the less valid. There is a time and place for everything. The best rule I can think of for a situation like yours is not to bring your camera. Bring a point & shoot instead that way you can snap a few to satisfy your jones and not appear to be selfishly holding up the group.

Last edited:
most of the times i go out and take photos, i'm with my family, what i usually do is ask where would they go and if it seems a good place to take photos, i go with them and when we reach the place, i just tell them to call me when we'll go home or i'll be right back. i don't hold them to be my tail on where i want to go.

The best rule I can think of for a situation like yours is not to bring your camera.

But it seems like the group had been warned!

Before going, I mentioned that I planned on spending some time taking photographs with my new DSLR, and they said, "no problem, that's cool."

And agreed.

Only does it seem like they did not REALLY know what it means to a photographer to be wanting to take "a couple of photos on the way". My husband of 20 years still today doesn ot really know what it means! Some people (and that's the title of this thread) just never get it!

So, yes, Jon, I know where you're coming from!
I will never forget the marital crises we went through in April 2006 in New York, chance of a lifetime for me to see the city and take photos there (few of which ever got the chance to leave the tourist-snap range, mind you, as we only had 4 days), with an ever so impatient husband groaning (if not audibly, so at least visibly!) and shuffling his (sore!) feet.

I've also been there but once they see the final photo i think they can at some level see/appreciate why..

Anyway even begin to explain to them when showing a few photos to them what you did they should even begin to realise that there is more to it than just taking a photo of a yellow house.. and if they don't understand then they'll either not throw the banter about the place so much or they'll want to know more. :)

that's what i've found anyway.

(failing all of that, revert back to laughing it off/playing along then showing them decent photographs)

The best rule I can think of for a situation like yours is not to bring your friends.

most of the times i go out and take photos, i'm with my family, what i usually do is ask where would they go and if it seems a good place to take photos, i go with them and when we reach the place, i just tell them to call me when we'll go home or i'll be right back. i don't hold them to be my tail on where i want to go.

See, most times I *try* to go out and take photos, I'm with my family... Problem is my family insists I stay with them, and complain when I slow down to take photos, and my wife thinks taking photos of anything other than the kids is a waste of time, and $deity forbid I might enjoy taking photos of someone I don't even know! I Love 'em, but they really annoy me sometimes :grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back