When shooting portraits...

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
of a family what lens do you like to use?

I use my 17-40 and 50mm . I think I prefer the 50mm but is difficult to get the entire family in sometimes. Just curious to what others use and like.

I also prefer longer lenses when shooting 'normal' portrait/group shots because a longer focal length will typically have less distortion than a wide angle lens.

But of course, with a narrower FOV, you might have to back up a long way when using a longer lens. Sometimes you don't have the space and you probably don't want to be 100' away from your subjects either...so it's a trade off.

I've shot a family portrait (two adults and two small kids) with my 70-200mm, but I had to back up quite a ways to get them all in.

I also prefer longer lenses when shooting 'normal' portrait/group shots because a longer focal length will typically have less distortion than a wide angle lens.

But of course, with a narrower FOV, you might have to back up a long way when using a longer lens. Sometimes you don't have the space and you probably don't want to be 100' away from your subjects either...so it's a trade off.

I've shot a family portrait (two adults and two small kids) with my 70-200mm, but I had to back up quite a ways to get them all in.

I agree, I have also used my 100mm and It really helps with the background. But like you said space is the issue.

For candids, which are my favorite, I like a telephoto zoom and a flash. Just wait for the right moment and condition them to ignore you. Everyone will like the results.

For group shots, I like a 28-80 or 28-105 (equiv) zoom.

For posed, more formal shots, I like the 50mm.

Remember that 50 years from now, people looking at those pix will be just as interested in your surroundings, so there's no need to throw everything out of focus all the time.

i use my 18-105mm, this is the only lens i had! haha! now ill be using my 50mm...

I have also been trying to decide on a portrait lens. What would y'all recommend between a Nikon 80-200 2.8 or a Sigma 24-70 2.8?

When I want to take nice and as professional as I can get photos I like using my 80-200 F/2.8. Mainly because it can have a nice DOF and it prevents any distortion of the face like a 18-55 could.

Most reactions

Back