When should I start charging?

I meant being able to shoot in available light without using any type of flash.

Although I understand your point behind knowing natural light and how to use it, I do not think a photographer that uses a flash is not a skilled photographer because they use a flash.

If there is no light available, what are you supposed to do?

Wow... really? Photography 101 here. If there is no light available, you sacrifice a virgin to the volcano, appeasing Tirediron's anger so he brings back the sun. Man. Like page one of the manual there buddy.

Man. Like page one of the manual there buddy.

I'm not sure what's going on in this thread now.

I don't know who understands the context of my question lol.

Well my own answer was tongue in cheek of course. Everybody knows Tirediron will only bring back the sun if you toss in two virgins.

Ok, but on a more serious note, I think TI is referring to situations where there is more than enough natural light but people will go ahead and use flash anyway often with detremental results because they don't understand how to use the light they have on hand. There are some situations naturally where you don't have enough light or you do actually want the effect a flash will provide - and in those cases of course you'll need one.

But if I understand TI's original point, a good photographer should understand the difference between the two.

I am in no means a professional.
Now that I am done with the disclaimer. Look at some pictures that photographers in your area have shot. If you look at those pictures and feel you truly can do BETTER then them then start charging. That being said, most people start as an assistant on shoots or as a second shooter. Going into this alone does not seem like a good idea. You need hands on experience not just a technical understanding of it. Atleast that is how I feel. You wanna climb up the ladder.

Again not a professional. Go ahead and ignore everything I said for all I care. This was just my two cents :p

I am in no means a professional.
Now that I am done with the disclaimer. Look at some pictures that photographers in your area have shot. If you look at those pictures and feel you truly can do BETTER then them then start charging. That being said, most people start as an assistant on shoots or as a second shooter. Going into this alone does not seem like a good idea. You need hands on experience not just a technical understanding of it. Atleast that is how I feel. You wanna climb up the ladder.

Again not a professional. Go ahead and ignore everything I said for all I care. This was just my two cents :p

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree.

There's always gonna be someone better and someone worse than you.

Just because you can make better photographs than the worst person in your area, doesn't mean you're ready go to into business. :lol:

Also, I'm just gonna go ahead and say that you can totally go into business not having been an assistant.

I did.

My hands on experience was 90% my own shoots.

I didn't actually really start to assist on shoots until I moved to Nashville last year, and I had been shooting for about 4 years and in business already. :lol:

Not saying it's not a good idea... I'm just saying that's not what is standing between you and your being able to start a business.

That being said... if you're going into WEDDINGS... yeah... DEFINITELY second shoot first before you dive into that... but portraits? You don't *need* to have assisted someone else to get good at that. And there's less risk in portraits, usually.

I think learning how to properly use flash is one of the most important things to learn, especially for somebody going pro. Sure, if you're under your own time, you can wait for the perfect light, but if a client wants you to deliver an image, they don't care if it's a flat day or if the light isn't perfect - you need to be able to make it perfect!

I'm not really sure how to set the flash I own. I bought one in case I need one. I can set up studio lights and work with them. I don't consider it one of the most important things to know, certainly not in my field of photography. The light isn't always perfect and the client should expect the best images possible, regardless of the situation. That is part of what professionals are expected to do.

I think learning how to properly use flash is one of the most important things to learn, especially for somebody going pro. Sure, if you're under your own time, you can wait for the perfect light, but if a client wants you to deliver an image, they don't care if it's a flat day or if the light isn't perfect - you need to be able to make it perfect!

Here's a fantastic photographer that never used flash, here favourite setting was F2.8 1/60
Interactive: The complete Jane Bown: a lifetime in photographs | Art and design | theguardian.com

I think you just know, at least I did. Remembering back, I know the first time I went out on the ice to photograph the ceremonial pregame puck drop (which was of a well known retired MLB player) I was nervous and excited and remember thinking, please just don't let me fall on my ass in front of this entire arena full of people! LOL But I didn't have any doubt that I could do it.

I don't know that you can go completely by people wanting your pictures, although that gives you some idea that you're good at it, but I think you have to be able to look at your own work and know it's good. How does what you do compare to other working pros in your area? that might give you an idea if you can compete and be successful. Or maybe try to find a pro in your area or take a class to consult with the pro/instructor or find some way to get some feedback on your portfolio.

And I don't use a flash much either, you often can't at event level and I don't do studio work - it depends on what you do.

If you're taking photos for your own reason then no charge, if you're taking pictures for someone else's reasons then you charge. You give them pictures that meet their needs then you did it right. No client has ever asked me what "f' stop, ISO or camera model.
It's really neither rocket science nor as complex as made out to be. Getting really great photos is but that's a different subject.

I am in no means a professional. Now that I am done with the disclaimer.

Ok, not a professional myself so I'll include my own disclaimer: Must be 18 or over to participate. Offer not valid in all states. Offer void where prohibited. Price does not include tax, title, or license. Some assembly required. Items may be sold separately, batteries not included. Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear as indicated by the loud crunching sound. If conditions persist contact your physician. Keep out of the reach of children. All rights reserved, but some wrongs are still available.

Look at some pictures that photographers in your area have shot. If you look at those pictures and feel you truly can do BETTER then them then start charging. That being said, most people start as an assistant on shoots or as a second shooter. Going into this alone does not seem like a good idea. You need hands on experience not just a technical understanding of it. At least that is how I feel. You wanna climb up the ladder.

Well, just my humble opinion of course but if you have to ask if your ready to turn pro, your not ready to turn pro. Actually making money as a professional photographer is a whole lot more about being able to run a successful business, marketing yourself, and building a client base. Finding out what niche you can fill in your local market place and filling it. The guys that I know who shoot for a living often tell me it's about 80-90% about business and marketing, and 10-20% photography.

Most of the folks who I know who do shoot professionally tell me that it took years for them to get established and build a sufficient client base to be able to make a go of it full time instead of having to work other jobs to make ends meet, and frankly the number of people who can make a full time career out of it is fairly small. So when your ready to go pro you'll be at a point where you know it and nobody else can talk you out of it. Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree.

There's always gonna be someone better and someone worse than you.

Just because you can make better photographs than the worst person in your area, doesn't mean you're ready go to into business. :lol:

Also, I'm just gonna go ahead and say that you can totally go into business not having been an assistant.

I did.

My hands on experience was 90% my own shoots.

I didn't actually really start to assist on shoots until I moved to Nashville last year, and I had been shooting for about 4 years and in business already. :lol:

Not saying it's not a good idea... I'm just saying that's not what is standing between you and your being able to start a business.

That being said... if you're going into WEDDINGS... yeah... DEFINITELY second shoot first before you dive into that... but portraits? You don't *need* to have assisted someone else to get good at that. And there's less risk in portraits, usually.
What you said makes sense.

I thought he had said early in the thread that he was going to shoot weddings so I was going off that. I'm not even sure how you would second shoot portraits. lol it seems like it would be awkward.

Most reactions

Back