When taking pictures?

robsteth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
P1012703.JPG When taking pictures, on occasion for certain types of pictures you have to trespass or go where you are not supposed to go......has anyone ever had the police called on them or been told to leave or even arrested? I assume this has happened to some photographers at some point...........please Elaborate.... ....

View attachment 126507 When taking pictures, on occasion for certain types of pictures you have to trespass or go where you are not supposed to go......has anyone ever had the police called on them or been told to leave or even arrested? I assume this has happened to some photographers at some point...........please Elaborate.... ....
That's patently false. You never HAVE to trespass or go where you're not supposed to. You may choose to, and that's up to you. While there may be a desire to trespass, there is never a requirement.

Last edited:
I think you're trespassing right now, in fact, as I'm not sure how this topic relates to Welcomes and Introductions.

As for the question, I do not knowingly trespass.

I think you're trespassing right now, in fact, as I'm not sure how this topic relates to Welcomes and Introductions.

As for the question, I do not knowingly trespass.
Thanks Lenny... missed the 'wrong forum' thing.

Put it this way, if there are signs plastered everywhere that says No Trespassing or Private Property, it's probably best not to trespass. If you are talking about taking photos of abandoned buildings, you probably won't get in trouble. Property owners if on site can kick you off, but it's not so much that they don't want you to take pictures it's more of a safety hazard. Often, abandoned buildings/property is owned by insurance companies or state.

You gotta be really careful when doing stuff like that. You have to use your own judgement and decided if the photo is a once in a lifetime shot and worth the risk or not.

Sure cops have been called on a lot of photographers for trespassing but they rarely get arrested. Cops will normally tell you to leave and give you a warning or they could arrest you, it depends on the situation.

You can ALWAYS ask for permission though, you don't have to trespass unless there really isn't any owner.

Last edited:
Who ever came up with the idea that it is ok "to knowingly do something wrong now and ask forgiveness later" needs a 55 gallon drum of B!$@# Slap opened up on them.

I guess it depends on the level of trespassing. If I see a picture that I can take from the edge of the property by the road that requires no more than a few steps onto the property, I may do it depending on the type of land use.

Trekking across their property without permission? No way. IMO, people are too ready and willing to defend their property at all costs. A picture is simply not worth it to me.

If you trespassed for the above picture then you took an unneeded risk. IMO

I guess it depends on the level of trespassing. If I see a picture that I can take from the edge of the property by the road that requires no more than a few steps onto the property, I may do it depending on the type of land use.

Trekking across their property without permission? No way. IMO, people are too ready and willing to defend their property at all costs. A picture is simply not worth it to me.
So am I to assume that if the Peeping Tom only needs to take a few steps onto your property to watch you 12 year old daughter take a bath that's OK? Remember, like trespassing, window peeping is a usually a misdemeanor.

In Detroit (and area) it happens all the time. There are photo tour groups that go out and trespass to get photos.

I've always wanted to do that too ... but I simply don't (group or no group).

So am I to assume that if the Peeping Tom only needs to take a few steps onto your property to watch you 12 year old daughter take a bath that's OK? Remember, like trespassing, window peeping is a usually a misdemeanor.
To be fair, I never said it was ok. Just that I would take a few steps.

Also, that's not a fair comparison, so I reject it and will not take the bait. :smile:

Its sad enough that the general public thinks photographers with big zoom lenses are peeping toms or pedos.

View attachment 126507 When taking pictures, on occasion for certain types of pictures you have to trespass or go where you are not supposed to go......has anyone ever had the police called on them or been told to leave or even arrested? I assume this has happened to some photographers at some point...........please Elaborate.... ....

I never knowingly trespass on someone else's property. If I saw something of interest and couldn't get the shot I wanted I'd contact the property owner first and ask.

It's simply a matter of courtesy. I wouldn't want someone else feeling as if they were entitled to come on my land and do whatever they pleased without asking me first either.

Many museums or state parks you're either not supposed to be taking pics of a model/ family or you're supposed to buy a permit. I only go to these places when I'm taking pictures of my girlfriend or my sisters family for fun and learning :048:.

I think disney world has similar rules.

Most reactions

Back