When to use RAW vs JPEG on my trip?

I just buy enough cards to shoot RAW+jpeg for every shot.

For most shots I use the jpeg in post processing because it's way faster and more convenient and I usually get the exposure correct, etc. and don't need to do any major editing or color correction. But the RAW is there waiting in the wings for any shots that i do decide I want to do major or repeated edits to.

For about 1/10th of the cost of a nice lens, it is a pretty no-brainer investment to get a couple of 32 gig cards.

I try to keep myself out of situations where I wish I had more battery or more memory. Bring extra cards. You can always save one in reserve for jpeg only, in case you are filling up faster than you planned.

As small and cheap memory cards are.... I always have 6 16 gig cards on me. Ive only used 4 in an given day but I think my A77 shoots a 24mb file. I also do a lot of video. Video takes up space....a lot.

Count me in the 16gb card camp. I've used nothing but Sandisk cards for USB flash drives as well as camera memory for at least 10 years now, without any problems. So using only one doesn't cause me any worries.

I shoot RAW + JPG (RAW->CF, JPG->SD) on my 5D3, and fill CF cards way quicker than I used to on the 60D SDs. So I carry a 'safety color' lime green CF+SD case in my bag or pocket. Buckster...I like your idea of clipping it on a key chain! I will definitely buy one today!

Edit: I DID lose a roll of film for 10 years...My 2nd honeymoon, no less!

Last edited:
cbarnard, I agree with the rest. Several smaller cards, or maybe a pair of 16s.

Regarding microscopes, mine comes in handy for shots like this; some of my brain cells. How I got them out is an interesting story. Also posting the setup:

$Neurons.jpg $Setup 2 small.jpg

I shoot RAW(CF) + JPG(SD) but *ONLY* because my SD card is an Eye-Fi. I save S1 jpg's to it then wirelessly transfer them to Photosmith on my iPad, where I do my first pass star rating / select review. Once I get back to my PC I import the RAW's from my CF to Lightroom then do a metadata-only sync of the jpg's from Photosmith which matches up the star ratings with the RAW's.

I shot about 600 images at Ironman Louisville last weekend and I had them all star-rated before I even got home; Stopped at a restaraunt for dinner and brought my iPad in with me and reviewed everything right there. It's a great system, Photosmith has completely changed my workflow. I realize this is a little off-topic from your original question but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. :)

Buck-

Off topic, but I read a little about your camera gear on your site. You have your own microscope!? Working as a histologist in a research lab, I can really appreciate that!:D Our pictures from the scope may vary from yours (unless you photograph cancer tissue!) but that is super cool!
Yeah, it's a lot of fun, though I haven't viewed or photographed any cancer tissue (which is kind of ironic, since I have NHL, diagnosed 13 years ago this coming October). :)

Here's a couple shots of the microscope I made: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/306609-research.html

Here's a couple shots I made using the microscope: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/283553-beyond-macro.html

Wow! 13 years and still kickin' ass! That's awesome man, congrats! I actually cut a lot of lymph tissue (as what's normal in most cancer case diagnosis), but all of the PhD/MD's here at the university I work at use mice models that have (sadly) been injected with genes that promote tumor growth. And, they are normally for dermatopathological research only. But, at the hospital I used to work at, where it's a huge variety of things (from gastric ulcers to breast cancer) I've cut and stained many tissue biopsies used to diagnose NHL and other cancers. It's unfortunate, but I take pride in doing my job well to make sure the pathologist can correctly diagnose the issue sooner and more efficiently.

Sorry from jumping off topic, but it's awesome to hear stories like yours!

Here's some pictures that I took yesterday, I think you'll enjoy them!

Kidney Section (Stained with Hematoxylin & Eosin)

$kidneyh&e.jpg

Liver Section (H&E)

$liver.jpg

Skin Section (H&E)

$skinnice.jpg

Skin stained with Trichrome stain (sections stained blue are collagen [in this case used to determine elasticity problems])

$Skintrichrome.jpg

I shoot RAW(CF) + JPG(SD) but *ONLY* because my SD card is an Eye-Fi. I save S1 jpg's to it then wirelessly transfer them to Photosmith on my iPad, where I do my first pass star rating / select review. Once I get back to my PC I import the RAW's from my CF to Lightroom then do a metadata-only sync of the jpg's from Photosmith which matches up the star ratings with the RAW's.

I shot about 600 images at Ironman Louisville last weekend and I had them all star-rated before I even got home; Stopped at a restaraunt for dinner and brought my iPad in with me and reviewed everything right there. It's a great system, Photosmith has completely changed my workflow. I realize this is a little off-topic from your original question but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. :)

I'm interested to see how your photos came out! That's great info, and something for me to look into although you seem to really have all the technology down pat!

cbarnard, I agree with the rest. Several smaller cards, or maybe a pair of 16s.

Regarding microscopes, mine comes in handy for shots like this; some of my brain cells. How I got them out is an interesting story. Also posting the setup:

View attachment 54197 View attachment 54198

Man, you and Buck are awesome for having your own scopes at home. My wife is a microbiologist and since we both use them daily, we've thought about getting one. Although, since we use them everyday, we can secretly bring anything really neat to the lab at work anyway. I'm actually interested in how you've gotten hold of brain cells!

Chris, rather than write it all again, here's the brain cell story that I originally posted on another forum:

Fine Art Discussion - Fine Art America

I liked the Dremel part the best. Now all you have to do is wait for a lawsuit! You said that it was a close-up of a Cliché Verre you did? Pretty awesome!

I will say- your take on brain cells is much more exciting than how it actually turns out. Although I will say, doing an immunofluorescence stain on some is pretty awesome!

$Positive Control CollIV Brain 1000_RGB_RGB.jpg

Thats why I went with 2 32 gig cards in my D7000 I know if I switch them out I will lose one or distroy it some how :p

I very much appreciate this thread, as I had no idea what to do with RAW vs. JPEG prior to reading this. Then again, I'd never really tried editing much. I might give it a better shot now.

Chris, rather than write it all again, here's the brain cell story that I originally posted on another forum:

Fine Art Discussion - Fine Art America

While it's really cool, this is also one of the strangest things I have ever read.

Last edited:
I shoot only RAW, all of the time. Being a newbie, perhaps I haven't learned any hard lessons yet, but I use a 64GB card and the grip holds 2 batteries so I can shoot way beyond most anything I can imagine. Big cards, 2 batteries, have fun!!

There is only one time when I shoot jpeg anymore, and that is when photographing kids playing, sports, or anything like that which requires rapid bursts, because RAW takes more time to write to the card and can bog down my camera under those conditions. One thing I hate is missing a shot while I'm waiting for my camera to process the shot I just took. It doesn't happen nearly as often with my new camera as it did with my old one, but it can still happen occasionally if I'm shooting many bursts in RAW. Probably not an issue for really high-end cameras with outstanding processing speeds, but worth a mention.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back