When to use RAW vs JPEG on my trip?

I always shoot raw, and when traveling I think there is all that much more reason to do so -- if I'm shooting someplace I might never be back to, I want to keep all my options open. I consider storage a non-issue since memory cards are so cheap today compared with past years. Just buy more cards. Converting to jpg is also a non-issue to me -- images that are going to be ok-as-shot in jpg are also going to be ok-as-shot in raw, so I just run a batch process and go eat dinner (or go to bed) while they convert on the computer when I get back home. You only have to do hands-on post-processing with the ones that need it.

Anthony Cole
Design Build Company

Last time I was on holiday in Colorado (1991), I burned 300 feet of Kodak technical pan and 100 feet of Tri pan over a time period of six weeks, didn't have the luxury of deleting the bad ones at night. A 32 gb card will hold 900 images, so I'd advise buying a number of memory cards and sorting through your photos once you are back at home.

I know it&#8217;s a terribly unpopular stance to have in the DSLR community but I&#8217;ll go rogue and say it anyway: you&#8217;ll probably be just fine shooting JPEG only when snapping hundreds of photos on a vacation (Hey look, a rock! <snap> Hey look an old monument! <snap> Time for a selfie in front of this cool looking tree! <snap>, you get the idea).

If, on the other hand, you&#8217;re going to put a significant amount of effort into &#8220;setting up&#8221; a particular shot, like, say, a long exposure of a stream, a sunset, etc., then RAW makes a lot of sense because you know up front that you&#8217;re going to be spending much more time on that particular image in the computer.

Of course, as somebody already mentioned, doing JPEG+RAW is probably the best of both worlds, if you can get enough cards that you won&#8217;t run into space problems. This is what I do these days, and end up not even using the vast majority of RAW files. Personally, I don&#8217;t bother with the RAW version &#8220;just because&#8221;; I only do it if 1) the image is a bona fide keeper (duh), and 2) I see something I don&#8217;t like in the JPEG produced by the camera.

I know it’s a terribly unpopular stance to have in the DSLR community but I’ll go rogue and say it anyway: you’ll probably be just fine shooting JPEG only when snapping hundreds of photos on a vacation (Hey look, a rock! <snap> Hey look an old monument! <snap> Time for a selfie in front of this cool looking tree! <snap>, you get the idea).

If, on the other hand, you’re going to put a significant amount of effort into “setting up” a particular shot, like, say, a long exposure of a stream, a sunset, etc., then RAW makes a lot of sense because you know up front that you’re going to be spending much more time on that particular image in the computer.

Of course, as somebody already mentioned, doing JPEG+RAW is probably the best of both worlds, if you can get enough cards that you won’t run into space problems. This is what I do these days, and end up not even using the vast majority of RAW files. Personally, I don’t bother with the RAW version “just because”; I only do it if 1) the image is a bona fide keeper (duh), and 2) I see something I don’t like in the JPEG produced by the camera.

I couldn't agree more. I usually shoot in JPEG+RAW. Sometimes, the JPEG is all you need. Sometimes, if you screw up, say the exposure of a shot, its easy enough to fix, post process.

I know it&#8217;s a terribly unpopular stance to have in the DSLR community but I&#8217;ll go rogue and say it anyway: you&#8217;ll probably be just fine shooting JPEG only when snapping hundreds of photos on a vacation (Hey look, a rock! <snap> Hey look an old monument! <snap> Time for a selfie in front of this cool looking tree! <snap>, you get the idea).

If, on the other hand, you&#8217;re going to put a significant amount of effort into &#8220;setting up&#8221; a particular shot, like, say, a long exposure of a stream, a sunset, etc., then RAW makes a lot of sense because you know up front that you&#8217;re going to be spending much more time on that particular image in the computer.

Of course, as somebody already mentioned, doing JPEG+RAW is probably the best of both worlds, if you can get enough cards that you won&#8217;t run into space problems. This is what I do these days, and end up not even using the vast majority of RAW files. Personally, I don&#8217;t bother with the RAW version &#8220;just because&#8221;; I only do it if 1) the image is a bona fide keeper (duh), and 2) I see something I don&#8217;t like in the JPEG produced by the camera.

I actually shot in RAW the whole time to "be safe" but yes, I agree with you and will do this from now on! It's super easy to switch between modes and many of the pics weren't set-up shots (although the ones that were I'm happy were shot in RAW). I think JPEG+RAW is nice, but since I bracket a lot and I take so many pictures, I'd rather not have double the junk ones to go through!

Yeah, shoot RAW, or RAW+JPEG also i recommend Samsung Memory Cards they are extremely well made, i have had a few cheaper brands fall apart on me.

[h=3]From the Manufacturer[/h] Get the most out of your DSLR camera or HD camcorder with the Samsung SDHC Pro UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card. This card delivers the speed necessary to support rapid photo capture and seamless HD video recording. It also boasts a rugged, resilient design that protects your data from the elements. And thanks to its generous 32 GB capacity, it can store thousands of photos and hours of video. The card is compatible with cameras, laptops, and other devices that accept SDHC cards.

[h=5]Harness the Potential of Your DSLR Camera[/h]Boasting data transfer speeds up to 80 MB/s, the Samsung SDHC Pro UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card is fast enough to keep up with even the most rapid photo shooting. The card's fast data speeds decrease the lag time between shots, allowing you to capture up to ten 8 MB photos in a single second.
[h=5]UHS-1 Bus Speed for Smooth Video Capture[/h]Fast data speeds also make the card ideal for HD camcorders. The card records Full HD video seamlessly, resulting in footage that is smooth and free of data loss and dropped frames.
[h=5]Durable Design Helps Protect Your Data[/h]The Samsung SDHC Pro Memory Card has a durable, resilient design that preserves your data from everyday hazards and extreme conditions. The card is proofed against water and magnetic fields, ensuring that your data is kept safe even if the host device is damaged. It can withstand exposure to saline water and last up to 24 hours in seawater. The card is also shock resistant and can withstand sudden impacts and accidental drops.

[h=5]Optimal Storage for Photos, Videos, and MP3 Files[/h]With a capacity of 32 GB, this card offers plenty of room to accommodate Full HD videos, pictures, music files, personal documents, and other memory-intensive files. It can store up to 6,000 20-megapixel photos, four hours of HD video at 1080p, or 7,520 3.5-minute songs (MP3 format).

[h=5]About Samsung Memory Cards[/h]Samsung has been a global leader in memory and digital storage since 1992. Incorporating the latest flash memory technologies, Samsung's memory cards consistently deliver the cutting edge in speed, security, and capacity. Professional photographers and hobbyists alike will appreciate the fast speeds and reliability of Samsung's robust line of memory cards for all their data storage needs.
[h=5]What's in the Box[/h]Samsung SDHC Pro UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card.

John.

OP, I just shoot RAW+. I don't fool around like that...changing back and forth.

Memory is so cheap these days it's not worth it to sacrifice the image quality for a little extra space. I shoot everything in RAW except for sports (for buffering and burst reasons). Draw on experience and try to budget how many photos you are likely to take in a day. I know that in a full day of hiking in a National Park for me, I'll take about 300-400 pictures. So if I was there for a week, I would bring enough space for roughly 3500+ pictures (give myself a little leeway, in case it's just too cool to not take a bunch of photos). Plus memory cards add absolutely no weight to your pack.

If you can shoot always in RAW no matter what. i would rather buy cards then shoot in JPEG. also if you see that for some reason you cant afford the best and fastest card...its also fine to get the class 6 or even class 4 when your traveling...anyway most likely that you have a class 10 card already...so use that for video or birds or sport and the rest of the cards can go for normal single shoots that any card will work with them perfectly fine...you don't need the fastest and the most expensive card all the time...only sometimes. also folks that shoot JPEG with there DSLR's don't really take advantage of there DSLR's...its almost like shooting a slightly higher quality compact camera...specially when people shoot both on auto mode and JPEG with there DSLR's.

...also folks that shoot JPEG with there DSLR's don't really take advantage of there DSLR's...its almost like shooting a slightly higher quality compact camera...specially when people shoot both on auto mode and JPEG with there DSLR's.

Lol ! You haven't used a point and shoot recently ! They are terrible at "getting the shoot" !!!

Jokes aside, I would also go RAW as much as possible. My thought is that if a picture isn't worth putting in an album of my vacation, it probably not worth keeping. And if it is worth keeping, I'll want to thinker with it a little bit.

I'll be honest tho, I'd probably end up with indistinguishable results had I shoot in jpeg initially...

So I guess it's all subjective. It is "fun" to process our pictures. The "fun" is enhanced when shooting RAW.

Buy enough cards to shoot RAW, shoot RAW during the entire trip, sort through the images later, and batch export the ones you don't plan to edit again.

Then you won't need to slow down and decide whether or not you should use .jpeg or RAW. They're all RAW and you can decide which images aren't worth keeping as RAW.

RAW seems to be muuuuch easier to work with in Lightroom. Granted, it lowers the capacity with a 4 gig card in my E-450 from 1500 or so to 230 photos, but it's worth it.

I could easily burn through 300 pics on a week long vacation in scenic areas.

Cards are the simplest, cheapest thing to not worry about.
On trips, it is easy to shoot 500 or 600 a day -

This isn't a situation where instant access is needed, so shoot raw and cull mercilessly when you get home.

I usually carry 4 32gb cards (Two CF and two SD)... and I have never filled them all up... even on a week long trip. When I am backcountry for a week or so, I also carry a CF tripod, at least one flash, a couple of pocket wizards, and whatever else I think I might need. Yea... Pack is heavy, but that is what I do.

Best advice I can give you is, "it depends". If your shooting something that doesn't move much or fast and you don't really need good action shots of it, such as a landscape or a portrait, use RAW. It will give you more post processing abilities later. If your shooting something that moves, particularly something that moves fast, JPG might be your best bet. A lot of cameras can only achieve a short burst with a decent number of frames per second before slowing to a crawl when shooting raw, and this can really limit your ability to capture action shots. So if your shooting a sunset, a waterfall, or a monument by all means, RAW. If your taking shots of a sporting event or someone else being mugged, most likely JPG.

I generally carry several spare memory cards myself, I also have a laptop that I take with me on longer trips so if my cards start filling up I can always download images to the laptops 1.5 tb drive. No worries about running out of space there.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back