When Walking Around - Leave Camera On or Off?

On or Off?

• On

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Off

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (not sure what 'other' means but someone will want a 3rd option I just know it.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious what you do... I find when I'm on a photo walk (nearly every day over lunch break) that I am constantly turning my camera on and off and it made me wonder if that's worse than just leaving it on.

So... what do you do?

Exactly the same as you, i don't see the point in leaving it on when my camera can boot up in about a second.

When Im out shooting I always leave it on...just in case I get that ah ha moment i want to have my gear ready.

I don't have a good argument for turning it off. Battery life is not shortened significantly if it is on but 'asleep' (my 30D goes into a sleep mode) and I have always felt it was easier on the switch. In fact, it is often still 'on' while it sits on my desk (ya' never know when the kids are going to do something cute).

I think I might try leaving mine on as well, especially since my D90 has great battery life and with the grip it's x2.

I think I might try leaving mine on as well, especially since my D90 has great battery life and with the grip it's x2.

Mine goes into sleep mode too, so I leave mine on. Just to let you know though you waist more juice in the batt turning it on /off/on/off/on. this is due to the surge the camera needs at startup. Once that spike is passed the level drops back to norm.

on.
like stated...standby mode is not exactly a drainer.

Wow, interesting!

I never would have guessed so many leave them on, glad I asked.

I leave it on all the time, one time I forgot to turn it off and it sat int he bag for a week on but in stand by and the bat was still charged.

Mine goes into Standby..... no good reason to turn it off. Hell, I've left it on for a few days and still had plenty of juice.

But the better plan is to always have an extra battery with you.

I typically have 3 batteries on hand... 2 in the grip and one in the case (fully charged).

I never turn mine off.

Actually, that's a lie. I turn it off to activate sensor cleaning, and turn it back on.

Oh, I do turn it off when inserting or removing the memory card.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back