When will it get better?!

LMP87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any advice on how to make a business out of photography? Seems like it never works out for the better?!
Anything will help!

how would you make any business work?

Check out the Aspiring Professionals forum. Also, poke around the general shop talk forum. There's a lot of possibilities to make a business out of photography, but there's also a lot of drawbacks. It will help you understand those drawbacks and possibilities and if professional photography is really for you.

I've never thought of it. I don't consider my work valuable enough for people other than myself, so i just offer it for free just for the experience.

My first reaction was ...

if this person is asking about "how to make a business out of photography", why is it being posted in the "Beginner's Forum"??
If they are a "beginner" then they shouldn't be trying to make a business out of photographer just yet.

if this person NOT a beginner and is ready to start a photography business, why would they post in the "Beginner's Forum".
Shouldn't they be posting in the "General Shop Talk" forum?

Either way, something doesn't add up here

My advice: Ignore the fact that your friends and family think you're great, accumulate a few years of experience, a few hundred thousand photographs, and a double-handful of college-level classes in photography, art, and business management.

Any advice on how to make a business out of photography? Seems like it never works out for the better?!
Anything will help!

Pretty much the same way you make a business out of growing flowers or being a wedding planner or training dogs or repairing cars. You need a business plan. You need a niche. You need to network like crazy and establish a great set of connections with "non-client influentials" (i.e.: people who talk to a lot of potential clients and will consistently sing your praises). Most of all, you need a competitive advantage. As Jack Welch (former CEO of GE) used to say: "if you don't have a competitive advantage, don't compete." Having a camera, some nice pictures, a passion for it, and a low price does not constitute a competitive advantage. It puts you in the same situation as several million college or HS grads.

I think there are two ways. One is the traditional way of starting any business, big or small - business plans, business plans, business plans. Network, working with banks for funding, etc.

Another way is to just get more recognition and publicity through forums, Flickr, 500px, etc - much like networking. Start with some pro bono projects. If Matt Lauer won't let you shoot his wedding anniversary in the Hamptons for free, shoot for a charitable/no-profit organization.

That niche thing is also very important. There are a lot of people who can shoot better than you, advertise better than you, and charge less, but what can you offer that others cannot?

Last edited:
Anything will help!

I've seen this alot (once is enough) on this site of, say a "pro" wedding photographer post pics here and they are over exposed, out of focus, etc, etc, etc. (cavaet - I've never shot a wedding or many people for that matter, and I'm no where near a pro).
So the first thing is to be realistic about your abilities. Thus you need to get "real" feedback on your photography skills. The first big thing to kill a business is not having the skills to perform that business. Getting "emotional support" from family and friends who will always support anyone in any endeavor is not a good first step.

Also, as mentioned, if people will pay for your photos (excluding friends/family), you've taken a good step forward.

Business planning, as mentioned above, is as important. Get a proper, thorough and complete business plan together. You have to know your taxes you have to pay, how to expense expenses properly to maximize your state and federal & income/business taxes, fees, et all. Pay for tax expert to help you understand this.

In the above, bank loan was mentioned. Be careful. For some odd reason people's first endeavor in a business they go get a bank loan and for some reason they never calculate (monthly revenue - bank loan) into the equation. Yes, you have to pay back a bank loan .. monthly, per the contract .. a legal binding contract.

And then marketing / portfolio. The pros here now how much of their particular business, in their particular location, for their particular genre(s) .. and how much that all costs.

Equipment. There's many different opinions on equipment. Some say anyone can take a great photo with a base camera, others say to get it right you need to control the light, have sufficient lighting and diffusion equipment, camera bodies, etc

But there's many that will provide great input on the specifics here.
Good luck

OP, there are easier ways to make $ than being a photographer. If you must forge ahead just keep putting yourself out there. Either you will eventually make it or not.

I work 100% for free. I have advertised all over. I have solicited work in person. I give out free 11 x 14 and 13 x 19 prints and full discs of hi-res, unwatermarked photos. Even so, I have a terrible track record for getting free work. If I was in biz, I'd declare my biz a total and absolute failure. So I can only imagine how tough it is when you are asking to be paid. These photogs that make their entire living at taking pix are gods to me!

Good luck!

Last edited:
What's the difference between a photographer and a large cheese pizza? The pizza can feed a family of four!

It would help greatly if you told us where you were business-wise; what you've done, what has and has not worked and link to your website.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back