Where do I start/ investing in a camera

Kowcy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am Kacy, I am 17 and am going to be 18 in less than a month. Speaking of that special occasion, it is my golden birthday so I decided I wanted something special this year. I am going to save all that bday and xmas dough and I am looking into investing in a DSLR camera I think. I have good grade cameras I think but I'm really looking for something with an almost professional punch. I would certainly invest in a top notch camera if I had the funds but lets put about an $850 price cap on this camera (Give or take a few dollars of course)
I love forums like this because reading reviews aren't as personal and you can't just ask the reviewer what you want! (plus you never know who's sponsored!)

What I would use camera for-

• Pets, Animals, Wildlife in general
  • I am in high school and this is my senior year so getting those amazing pics of my friends is IMPORTANT especially PROM so low-light
  • Conventions/Cosplay shots
  • Candids

Where I plan on going with photography

I am aiming to be an accomplished Doctor of biology (specifically majoring in bears)
To develop a bit of a side career involving animals as well I'd like to tack on wildlife photography

**I very much want the video to highly measure up with the photo quality because its a hobby of mine
Very much want one that also shoots in HD video

Last edited:
Get a Nikon D7000 like i did, i'm extremely happy with mine

I was just reading on the Nikon 7000, it was rated best for the prosumer and is in my price range, one HUGE con it has for me is it does not shoot in 1080/30p video. It's definitely on my list though as I have an HD camcorder already,

I'm really looking for something with an almost professional punch. I would certainly invest in a top notch camera if I had the funds but lets put about an $850 price cap on this camera (Give or take a few dollars of course)
For just a camera body? Perhaps. Realistically? Triple that amount (at least), for you are going to need at least 2 lenses, a speedlight a bag and regular software upgrades.

I have the T3i it is HD and pretty good for the price.

In the current crop of cameras, Canon seems better at video, Nikon at low light pictures. As a Canon owner, I would prefer the contrary, but anyway, since you are just beginning, it is not crucial.
As you maybe know, the various kinds of pictures you mention have different needs in term of lenses, so the body is somewhat secondary. Furthermore, lenses last more, bodies are like any other electronic device - they are updated frequently, and you will change it sooner or later even unnecessarily but if not, you will still be able to take good pictures.
With 850$ you might be able to buy an entry-level camera with a couple of entry level lenses... or a semi-pro body only or with kit lens. Nothing able to cover all your needs since beginning, however more than sufficient to start learning. Next birthday you will buy another lens, etc. However, lenses good e.g. for wildlife cost like a body at least. Plus, texkam points out also a couple of needed extras.
For video, a body with tiltable screen might come handy - in the Canon line, this means T3i, T4i, 60D (in growing price and features order). Since t3i is being substituted by t4i, you might be able to find good prices. I would buy it with kit lens (18-55IS), plus 55-250IS (entry level but good- avoid bundles with 75-300), and maybe you might be able to have also a 50/1.8 within your budget (+/-). 18-55 wil be adequate for street, 50/1.8 will help you in beginning with low light portraits, 55-250IS gives you a taste of wildlife photography at distance, including homo sapiens for candids :) (however, it is not fast, so no low light).
Semi-pro (or top entry-level): 60D + 18-135IS (with some more budget: Amazon at 899). Better camera body, exactly the same sensor so same image quality as t3i, but, with your budget, less flexibility in term of lenses.

Thank you all! I understand lenses are much more important than the body now so, 850 is just gonna be my budget in general for body and and maybe one lense to start off and slowly start collecting lenses over time! So now my question is what is the best lenses at an entry level cost to shoot what I'll be shooting most my first few months which is up close , animals

I have two litters of great danes coming a little before I'd get the camera so they'd be great experiments for picture taking , then the next lens I'll be needing to get is for the highschool stuff but I'll tackle that bridge when I come to it!

Now! Off to research the options you guys gave me so far thank you!!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
AllTimeTVs.com

I found this bundle when I was checking out the Canon T3i , I'm trying to research the lenses that come with it but I still don't quite understand, can someone tell me why/why not this would be a good deal for me?

@Gabe Omg your work is fantastic! I clicked your link! Especially for your age, I am quite impressed, kudos to you!!

I think I will go with the Canon , one of my best friends just got hers and she says its delightful , thank you!

If you're a teenage prodigy and already an excellent photographer, then ignore this advice Kacy. It will be years before you're a truly good photographer with photos that are publishable and worth printing, simply because photography is difficult to master.

For now get a cheap, entry level DSLR because by the time you're good, something far better will be available. The next few years will be "practice" and you don't need to blow a bunch of money on something professional, or even mid-level. If you're going to spend some money, do it on lenses-you could have them for decades.

Most reactions

Back