Where do you buy your lenses?

KabeXTi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't purchased any lenses yet, but so far it seems that the best place to find a good deal on a lens is through Amazon.com. They show you a few different online stores so you can pick the best price. Ebay is always overpriced for the NEW lenses and I've never tried looking in an actual Camera store.

Where do you all buy your lenses from? Any of you buy from only 1 place and nowhere else? Reasons why?

I buy most of my stuff from B&H photo or Adorama (links above) - mainly because of their reputation. I have also had very good luck with buydig.com .

I have bought most of mine through Amazon with nothing but excellent service. I've bought some stuff at local camera shops (new and used). I have bought some used stuff on e-bay without problems. I've bought some accessories through B&H, but never lenses (I have many friends who swear by them, but prices aren't always great).

I buy my kit from the shop where I work, big discount :biggrin:

I buy all my equipment at the local shops, and here is why……
If I have a piece of equipment fail, I can get it replaced the same day. To me this is worth more than saving $20 on a $1800.00 lens.

Support your local stores, many will price match and if you ever have a problem, they are going to help you out.

I've found the price between B&H, Adorama and Amazon to be very close.

The one exception was a Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 which Amazon had through another online retailer - price was $200 less then other two which made it a no-brainer.

Besides the Sigma, I try to get everything through B&H because they have yet to screw up any of my orders.

Adorama is also good but the one time I bought Adorama through Amazon, neither Amazon nor Adorama wanted any part of the responsibility of tracking number - I just wanted a tracking number so I know when to look for product. No problems with buying direct from Adorama.

In terms of total/final price, after tax and shipping (or lack of), Amazon will most times come out cheaper if product is directly from Amazon and qualifies for free shipping - they stopped charging tax.

I hunt ebay for "camera outfits" that include the lens I want, I then buy the outfit, and resell it without the lens. Always saves $$, typically I end up paying less then half of what I would if I bought the lens alone.

B&H is awesome, never had any problems. I had an incident once where an umbrella arrived damaged. Spoke to customer service right away and new one was shipped the next day no charge, no hassle. I didn't even have to return the damaged one.

I recently bought a lense from ephotocraft.com, simply because they were the only ones who had it in stock. I was a bit worried because I have not used them before. They were great, lense arrived without any problems.

directly from nikon canada.

I usually go with www.BuyDig.com first, and then B&H next. B&H certainly has more in stock, but BuyDig usually offers free shipping and it's always FAST, and sometimes a bit cheaper. So, when BuyDig doesn't have it (which happens relatively often), B&H is right alongside it. I had a GREAT experience with B&H Customer Service.

Also, when you buy from Amazon, be sure to know which seller you're getting the item from.

Had excellent experience, especially buying used equipment from them.

Mostly B&H but sometimes from Amazon as long as it comes from Amazon's warehouse and not another retailer's

I only buy from walk-in shops but I don't care which one as long as they have a cheap store-based insurance policy when buying the high-dollar items.

They almost always are willing to meet or beat the cheapest in-country internet price and talking to the guys is fun and educational. I can walk out with the goods in-hand too. No waiting for UPS and wondering if the UPS guys are using it for a game of parking-lot football. :D

Most reactions

Back