What's new

where do you find fresh ideas?

tissa

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
156
Reaction score
5
Location
Louisiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my very first DSLR camera adn I am so eager to shoot, BUT I am out of ideas. I have no idea WHAT TO SHOOT??? The weather has been very bad lately so I do not really want to go outside. What to shoot in my apartment? i really do not know (or do not feel like shooting those objects that i have at home)
Anyways, when you guys are out of ideas, what do you do to find an inspiration?
 
i had exactly the same problem ages ago. i admit if the weather is particularly bad outdoor shooting is not great unless ur gonna camp on the side of a mountain for 3 days and wait for somr dramatic weather.
i suppose too it depends on what you want to shoot. for example lately for indoors work i have taken some shots of a local band and spoke to a local boxing club and took some shots there.
 
I photograph random things at home. Think of it as a way to practice lighting, settings(creative exposure), and processing.

Grab yourself some backgrounds (white poster boards, black, blue, gray paper). Then grab a clamp light dish and a daylight compact fluroescent spiral bulb.

Then practice with the lighting and your composure. You can shoot fruit like oranges and apples, stuffed animals, small random objects, etc.

Then grab reflective material and learn how to use that to bounce your single light to the other side...

It would be more and learning to create a technically good photo even if your subject is maybe boring.
 
The weather has been very bad lately so I do not really want to go outside.

2 trashbags, one with 3 holes(for yourself) and one with one hole(tape it around your lens hood :D
 
I just got my very first DSLR camera adn I am so eager to shoot, BUT I am out of ideas. I have no idea WHAT TO SHOOT??? The weather has been very bad lately so I do not really want to go outside. What to shoot in my apartment? i really do not know (or do not feel like shooting those objects that i have at home)
Anyways, when you guys are out of ideas, what do you do to find an inspiration?

Keep an eye on the weather. Some of the most dramatic photography I've ever seen was taken during transitions from bad weather to good weather.
 
I'm always running short of ideas and I've learned that some of your best ideas for pics can be developed within the confines of your home. My suggestion, go to Flickr and just look around, bookmark some of your favorites, and try to replicate some of the ideas you have seen. Do some research to figure out settings and such. This will help you jump right into learning your camera and getting some great shots in the process.
 
I ve also been having a hard time this winter getting ideas. I search through Flickr and other photo sites and get ideas. I never copy the photos but it sometimes inspires me. The bad weather season is also always good for the water drops, Cds and other shots that everyone tries once. Good luck finding your inspiration!!
 
The weather has been very bad lately so I do not really want to go outside.

2 trashbags, one with 3 holes(for yourself) and one with one hole(tape it around your lens hood :D


cant really think of many photographic situations improved by rain .!

How about this shot, we were shooting this event all day and it never stopped raining
568919592_MiKbu-L.jpg
 
Ooo, I'm getting a Border Collie next week. They are such great dogs! Have anymore shots of that event?
 
hello Tissa. you just got the camera, maybe just practise using the settings. use any situation and object. use it fully manual: get familiar with how things turn-out with apertures, shutterspeeds, white balance, flash compensation etc - custom settings
 
I got a smugmug account and started a picture a day gallery beginning Jan 1. Every day I post a picture taken on that day. It forces me to get the camera out, be creative, and when I have trouble getting creative with the subject I sit down and learn a new post processing technique. It keeps me from just coasting along and not progressing. You'd be surprised what you can come up with when you NEED a photo of the day :-)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom