PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

Recently, I've been thinking seriously about selling my work. The company I'm getting my work printed/framed with (Rebubble.com) prints and frames my work beautifully for about $72.00 USD (Not including tax, which brings the price to about $110.00 the company's based in Melbourne). Just to let you guys know: I'm NOT doing photoshoots, I'm not looking for a bazillon dollars a print. What I was thinking was like getting my work in Pizzerias library's, ect. Charging like 140.00 per print (Framed) to leave room for percentiles taken out from establishments, ect.

Am I thinking all this right? I've been told by professionals my work is atleast the right quality.

Thanks again,

Phil,

OK, why do you want to sell it?

If you're going to sell it at all, don't undervalue yourself -- make sure you make enough to cover expenses (and that includes the cost of your hobby).

That sounds like an awfully small profit margin to me; $30 for all your time, expense (fuel, insurance etc) and all of that... On the topic framing, I generally recommend against selling framed photos because frames are a very personal thing, and I find that images sell better unframed (a) because the customer doesn't have to decide if he/she likes the frame you've chosen and (b) because without the frame, there's less cost, and people often don't think of the cost they will incur buying a frame.

OK, why do you want to sell it?

If you're going to sell it at all, don't undervalue yourself -- make sure you make enough to cover expenses (and that includes the cost of your hobby).

I simply want to cover the expenses of my hobby and and make a small profit along the way.. As I said, I'm not looking for anything huge-I'm only thirteen.

That sounds like an awfully small profit margin to me; $30 for all your time, expense (fuel, insurance etc) and all of that... On the topic framing, I generally recommend against selling framed photos because frames are a very personal thing, and I find that images sell better unframed (a) because the customer doesn't have to decide if he/she likes the frame you've chosen and (b) because without the frame, there's less cost, and people often don't think of the cost they will incur buying a frame.

Really? I thought $30.00 was pushing it!:D What profit margins would you suggest? If its not a good idea to sell framed maybe with my framed photos in the restaurants I could put under them something like: 'Like what you see? Buy one for yourself!' With my email and name also underneath the photo.

Don't sell your self short just because of your age. If the photo is good then it should not matter if its done by a 13 or a 60 year old person. You may get a few sales just cuz your age and you may lose some I guess it depends on the buyer.

Really? I thought $30.00 was pushing it!:D What profit margins would you suggest? If its not a good idea to sell framed maybe with my framed photos in the restaurants I could put under them something like: 'Like what you see? Buy one for yourself!' With my email and name also underneath the photo.

Find out what work of similar style and quality is going for and price accordingly; oddly enough, having the cheapest price does not always mean the most sales. People often associate higher prices with higher quality.

If I were displaying my work in a restaurant, I would frame it to suit the environment, that is to make the picture look the best it can in that location, but make it very clear that the purchase price includes the print only, or the print on a 'X' size matte in 'Y' choice of colours. All that aside, good luck!

Certainly one approach. Another approach would be to have a show. This involves hanging your work for a month with no obligation for the proprietor to buy the work. The sales would come from the customers of the business. This opens your market and increases your selling potential. In addition you should have an opening night. Serve coffee and doughnuts or what ever and invite all your friends. The opening is a win win situation in that it brings customers into the business and gets the buzz going about your work.

This is all a little vague so let me know if you have any questions.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back