Where to get used camera lenses.

Glad you're enjoying it. Stick to some of the reputable sites that were already mentioned. Ebay is kind of a crap shoot, unless you really know what you're doing. Even then, you can get burned. A reputable site will make it right.

Designer is correct. There are lots out there. (I looked) Some research and reading reviews is necessary. One thing I've learned about reviews.... If it's bad, people will tell you! Lol.

If you get it narrowed down, post a link. I'm positive others will help you make a wise purchase.

eBay....................
Everyone else was saying no Ebay.
Actually, not everyone. I've bought more via e-bay than all other sources combined, but I'm careful about what I buy, and I am willing to stand the risk of not getting exactly the best deal. I've shopped all over the internet, and I usually won't bet the entire farm on one purchase.

There are two camera shops within 4 miles of me and both trade in used lenses. Of course, going that route you can see it before you buy. Now, I live in the city so you may not have that option. But if you do, remember, not everything has to be purchased online.

eBay....................
Everyone else was saying no Ebay.
Actually, not everyone. I've bought more via e-bay than all other sources combined, but I'm careful about what I buy, and I am willing to stand the risk of not getting exactly the best deal. I've shopped all over the internet, and I usually won't bet the entire farm on one purchase.

Agree. But, you're not a beginner. Nathan is. Just thought it not the best place to start until you really know what you're doing.

I've made a lot of smart purchases on Ebay. And CL, pawnshops and thrift stores. But, not without due diligence.

I think the main reason I usually buy from e-bay is because I'm picky.

When I decide on a certain lens, my local shop or even the online shops might not have what I'm looking for, but I will usually see dozens of examples of that lens on e-bay. Picky, picky, picky.

Simply put, I would rather pick through many examples of the lens rather than see only one or none at all.

On ebay any seller's description is what they think it is, doesn't make it so. A seller could say it's 'good', but it may not be what you or I or anyone else would think was good. Ebay's probably going to be a better option when you're a more experienced photographer.

I personally don't like zooms and would rather have a nice sharp prime. I've seen it throw off people's framing often enough, but many photographers get good at it and it provides a way to use more than one focal length with one lens. An inexpensive zoom may not be the sharpest lens.

If you find yourself thinking, I really need... (a longer/shorter/sharper lens) there would be an option to sell/trade it in for something else.

If you have a small budget I think your local Craigslist might be your best bet, but you are looking for Pentax K-mount lenses which are not that common these days. The lenses that you are looking for were likely made in the 1980s, and I think you are much more likely to find K mount lensed being sold through a reputable photographic dealer.

Ebay is a likely source for K-Mount lenses... and the large photographic dealers like KEH and MPB are a great way to find what you are looking for.

I just looked on eBay and there are lots of lenses I think these few would be of interest there is a Pentax 45 - 125 f/4 for $30. There is a Vivitar series 1 70-210 f/3.5 for $19.99 + 13.20 shipping, so 33 bucks and $0.19.

There are also lots of prime lenses such as a 28 mm miscellaneous brand f/ 2.8 macro for $14 , and a Pentax-M 135mm f/ 3.5 for $10.45. There is also a Takumar 80-200 f/4.5 for $24.05.Takumar is a model name that Pentax applied to many of its lenses, beginning in the 1960s. A super takumar was also made, and the three letter abbreviation SMC stands for super multi coated

There is quite a bit of older gear for sale on eBay in the Pentax k-mount.

A good Pentax 135 mm lens would be a wonderful thing to have. Pentax also made a very nice 85 mm F / 1.8 I believe it was, and they also made a Dandy 200 m m f / 4, which is the only Pentax K-mount lens I currently own. K-mount lenses from the 1980s have a beautiful styling and finish and very attractive purple-blue multi coating.

These lenses have beautifully finished aluminum barrels which have been colored a very dark black, with a satin finish. This was in my opinion the highlight of the Pentax K era around 1985 or so. Pentax made some wonderful cameras like the Pentax Super Program Plus. They also made a wonderful camera called MX and they also had a professional-grade LX.

The K1000 was basically an evolution of their first really big hit, which was the Pentax Spotmatic. Pentax and Nikon mount their lenses and change f stops and focus in the same direction, the Leica Direction. Canon is backwards.

Last edited:
One suggestion I haven't seen yet here is to look for yard-sales or estate-sales. I live in a city with a lot of retirees, and between down-sizing prior to going into smaller homes or assisted-living, or when the owner has passed away and their next-of-kin are trying to sell-off their effects, a lot of photography equipment ends up for sale this way. Of course the quality of the equipment may vary, but the prices are usually extremely low, so the risk is generally fairly low. The only major downside is that the seller might expect the buyer to purchase the entire lot at-once, since the seller is looking to get rid of all of it and doesn't want to spend a lot of time individually selling each component.

Furthermore, while I'm sure some members of this forum aren't going to like hearing this, but with the K-mount having debuted in the mid-seventies, the generation of photographers that had bought into this system early on are right at this point where they will be pairing-back one way or another. This should mean a good supply of available components, further made inexpensive by the fact that original full-manual K-mount has been superseded by variants with automatic or feedback features, such that the demand for those original manual lenses might be reduced.

I tend to go to KEH last, as I find them overpriced.
And if you’re paying shipping through KEH, that might be more than the lens!!!
I think shipping is where they make most of their money!!!
I try to buy from KEH only when they’re having a free shipping promotion!!!
SS

Most reactions

Back