Where to move after D300?

lance70

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, would love some opinions on what camera to get next when moving from my D300, my wife owns the Nikon D7000 and also uses our Canon 7d. I just sold our D300 and looking to upgrade, I like our 7D so not dead set on Nikon gear but I do like the focus of the Nikon equipment better, just my opinion. I mostly do wildlife photography and landscape, very little indoor photography. I have around $4,000 to $4,500 I could spend, thanks for your time.

You need to ask your self how is was the d300 limiting you? Once you answer that you can then proceed to find a camera that will meat your needs.

Good point! Honestly I don't think there was anything about the D300 I did not like or was a limiting factor in getting something else. I love everything about the camera, especially the build, it's like a tank! I was just getting up there in the shutter count and had a cousin who's been interested in the camera so made her a deal.

I'd go d800 and a nice FX medium zoom.

I would get a D600 with the Tokin 24-70mm 2.8 VC.
Why I wouldnt get the D800 ?
Because its a pro's camera, for the regular user you are just getting a lot you dont need.
The D600 is around 2K new or 1600$ refurbished.
D600 is absolutly awsome camera that in many ways for a non pro user has same capabilities as the D800.
As for the lens in more then few reviews between the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 vs the Tokina 24-70 2.8 VC the Tokina was voted the winner, its almost as good as the Nikon but has the VC which is simply excellent and that while is much cheapper.
On ebay I saw it for sale new for 1000$ while here in Canada the Nikon is almost 2000$

Most reactions

Back