Which 3 lenses to rent for vac - Wldlfe and Ldscapes mostly...

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Going to the Left Coast in May - I'm going to rent 3 lenses that, if planned right, will cover most of my shooting needs... I have a Canon XSI with only the 2 kit lenses... I like the 18-55 IS that came with the camera, but want to supplement that one with 3 others.. I'd like a Wide angle - beginnning at about 10mm; A Zoom that would pick up from the 55mm going out to about 150-200; and a superduperzoom that really gets out there for wildlife.. (400/500/600mm?)

My wife sz get the best, cuz I don't have to buy them, just rent for about 10 days...
icon_biggrin.gif

Best suggestions for image quality and, if needed, lower light ... Which would you rent for those needs ??

Oh, was looking at LensRentals.com - but if yu have a better site, I'd be open....

tks,

I have the 24-105 F4 L IS and the 70-200 F2.8 L IS I would suggest these 2 both would work for low lights I would also suggest a 1.4 or 2x converter for the 70-200 Keep in mind when using a converter it cuts your light input by the amount it multiplies your length. An additional consideration would be an extreme wide 10-22.

Always listen to your wife LOL

Why rent? if you have the funds it's often cheaper to buy a used lens and then resell it after your trip.

LOL not really. I can rent a Nikon 14-24 which I can guarantee you find under 1800. I can rent it for about 150ish for 10 days. Also not everyone can fork out the 2000-5000 for a good piece of glass. It is easier to pay 150 and have fun and no hassle of trying to resell

10-22
70-200 2.8 IS
500 f/4 (lighter than the 600 f/4) or 400 f/5.6 very sharp and light but slower glass.

For the wildlife lens weight will be a key consideration - many of the really super long lenses are very heavy. That will rule out the top range long lenses above 300mm (the 300mm f2.8 IS L is the heavist handholdable lens and can be used with a 1.4TC and a 2*TC to give a very good 420mm and a very good 600mm lens).

However you might find that a 400mm f5.6; 300mm f4 or 100-400mm would be a better and more portable option that won't weight you down too much. IF you can try to get to a shop to just try out the weights of these different options before you make the rental.

I respectfully disagree Overread. I handhold my 600 f/4 IS about 50% of the time. And I know of many 500 f/4 shooters that handhold that lens many times.

I think OP need to find out how much extra weight he like to carry around on vacation.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree Overread. I handhold my 600 f/4 IS about 50% of the time. And I know of many 500 f/4 shooters that handhold that lens many times.

I'm not saying such lenses are not handholdable but that they are a far greater strain. If you do have time handholding such lenses then yes you can build up to being able to use them effectivly in such a manner - but I suspect it would take far longer than a few days to get used to such shooting (and build up the muscle).

A lighter option I think is far superior if tripod shooting is not an option since it won't be such a sudden strain. Of course each person is indevidual and thus I still say try out the glass in a shop first to judge for ones self the weight differences.

Why rent? if you have the funds it's often cheaper to buy a used lens and then resell it after your trip.

LOL not really. I can rent a Nikon 14-24 which I can guarantee you find under 1800. I can rent it for about 150ish for 10 days. Also not everyone can fork out the 2000-5000 for a good piece of glass. It is easier to pay 150 and have fun and no hassle of trying to resell

Are you suggesting that a used 14-24mm depreciates $150 over 10 days? That's pretty extreme.

Also, $15 a day is a much lower rental price then I've seen--$30 a day is what the local shop near where I live charges for that lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back