Which Camera? Help!

JenniferD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to purchase my first (digital of course) SLR camera.

The few I'm looking at are Canon EOS Rebel XSi (I like this one because of the Live View. Plus it's 12 pixs and has 11 AF features). Then the Nikon D80.

Comments? Opinions?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
This is probably the most asked question around here. Try the search feature and see what others have already asked and answered on the issue of what DSLR to buy.

The best advice, as always, is to compare the cameras in person. Hold them in your hands and see which feels best to you.

Of the two you mention, the XSi is much newer and probably has the most up-to date technology. However, the D80 might be a level above the entry level Rebel series.

The Nikon D90 is newer, and also shoots video as well, if that interest you.

Thank you, Mike. I didn't think to search.

I have held both these cameras in my hand. Not too much difference for me to choose baised on just that reason.

The D90 look fantastic. But I don't have $1,000 to spend on a camera/lens.

Something I forgot to post in my original post was this: Whats your opinion on VR/IS?

Whats your opinion on VR/IS?
It's fantastic...but it's not a miracle cure for blurry photos.

IS/VR will help to prevent blur from camera shake (the movement of the camera in your hands). Shake will show up as blur at slower shutter speeds (which are needed in lower light situations). IS/VR is especially good on longer lenses.

Where IS/VR falls short, is when your subjects are moving as well. IS/VR helps control the motion of the lens so that you can still shoot at slower shutter speeds...but at those slower speeds, moving subjects will appear blurry.

Better than IS/VR is to use a faster shutter speed. To get a faster shutter speed, a lens with a bigger maximum aperture (lower F number) really helps. A lens with a wide aperture and IS/VR is really great but also expensive.

So to sum up...IS/VR is great and having it is better than not having it...but a lens with a larger aperture is better than a 'slower' lens with IS/VR.

Most reactions

Back