Which camera should I buy?

nonniecita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to buy a nice digital camera to take pics of my kids with. I am definitely a beginner and am wanting a camera that is easy to use with great quality shots. I am looking at the Nikon D3000 and Canon EOS Rebel XSi. Would either of these be good for someone wanting a point and shoot type nice digital camera?
Which would you pick, or something different?

Thanks so much!
Michelle

IMO either should be fine.

Looking at the specs between the D5000 and the D3000 If you can spend the extra I'd recommend stepping up to the D5000 (more MP on the image sensor, higher ISO, articulated rear screen)(I like the screen articulation as folding it in keeps it scratch free)

Both are great starter cameras, especially if you just plan on using it in the available auto/program modes. If you are thinking about developing photography as a serious hobby and upgrading in the future look at the lens options that interest you and prices so you have an idea what might lay ahead. Good luck. If you do a search here on the forums there are quite a few threads on this topic that you might find useful also.

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to buy a nice digital camera to take pics of my kids with. I am definitely a beginner and am wanting a camera that is easy to use with great quality shots. I am looking at the Nikon D3000 and Canon EOS Rebel XSi. Would either of these be good for someone wanting a point and shoot type nice digital camera?
Which would you pick, or something different?

Thanks so much!
Michelle
The person taking the picture has a lot more to do with "great quality shots" than the camera.

Lenses are also very important for high quality images, more so than the camera body.

Unless you want to persue the technical aspects of photography, composition, exposure, focus modes, metering, lighting, depth-of-field, I'd recommend against getting a digital SLR.

I'm with Keith here. If you want a DSLR to use as a Point and Shoot, then it will probably never leave auto mode. If that's the case, you will get just as good of pictures out of a high end Point and Shoot as you will from a entry level DSLR.

You got to be comfortable with your camera. Whipping a big DSLR up in a street can be different from taking a point and shoot out. It feels weird sometimes if you want to take a good photo of something in the mall with a DSLR, but it is alright with a P&S.

Go with the camera you are comfortable using. The entry levels are very similar, and both nikon and canon has good options for you to move up on.

Unless you plan on further pursuing photography in any way theres no real point in getting a DSLR. Might as well go with a P & S

Most reactions

Back