Which camera should I go with?

Thanks for the advice. Iv already loaded a roll of fuji superia now (cheapest available here, so its no great loss if it gets ruined), but before I load the next roll Ill check all the foam.

I knew this thing was heavy but didnt quite anticipate just how heavy it really is - the thing weighs a ton! I like it though. Feels solid, and the clunk of the shutter release is very satisfying. Im also quite pleased with the condition its in - except the slight dust in the viewfinder and a ding in the top part, its pretty pristine looking - even the leatherette is nice and clean, shiny and not peeling away anywhere (I am thinking of personalizing it a bit and maybe giving it a fabric covering over the leatherette).

Cant wait to get out and snap some pictures - I also have monday and tuesday off work, so on tuesday Im going for a drive.

Silly question if anyone is still following this thread, but is the first shot when the exposure counter is on 0 or 1? After you load the film and take 2 blank shots, then cock the shutter it sits on 0.

Thanks - I already have the camera now. I got a Nikkormat FTn with a Nikkor 50mm f/2 lens.

Silly question if anyone is still following this thread, but is the first shot when the exposure counter is on 0 or 1? After you load the film and take 2 blank shots, then cock the shutter it sits on 0.

If my memory serves me correctly, (and it may or may not!)the old-school, instruction manual recommended way to load 35mm film into a camera was to take three blank shots, with the first frame being on "1". That's my recollection.

Now...if you wanna be devious about it, you could use the old trick of threading the film leader into the take-up spool's slot system, and then advancing just a teeny-tiny bit to cock the shutter, then going into a 100%,totally dark room, and only then in 100% total darkness, pulling the film canister over to the "supply side" compartment, and thus placing fresh, virgin, unexposed film over the film gate area,and not shooting ANY blank frames. This can add up to three frames to a roll of film. This can also result in the first frame, which should _properly_ be considered "leader material", being "flashed" with the Customer Order and Roll I.D. Number in automated processing systems.

But yeah, I believe the old-school way was to load the take-up spool, close the back, and shoot three total blanks. But....most everybody I knew shot two blanks.

There's more than one way to load a 35mm camera with film...

Awesome - thanks. I thought that may be the case, so for shot 0 I just took a picture of a plant on my kitchen bench (something unimportant/throwaway) so I can know for sure when I get the first roll processed.

Thats a cool trick too - I think Ill wait until Im more confident just loading the thing before I try that :icon_lol: I wasnt even sure if I loaded it properly at first because it looked a little loose even after tightening it with the rewind knob before I closed the back, but it seemed to advance correctly for the 2 blank shots I did, so Im sure its fine.

I ended up buying the coupling clip off that guy someone suggested from ebay. He agreed to send it via regular post in an envelope to keep the cost down, so that should get here in a few weeks and Ill be able to use the onboard meter (if it does actually work correctly - im using a 357 silver oxide battery and a bread tie coiled up in the battery compartment).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back