Which camera should I go with?

Ilford stuff (as thats what I know off hand) is processed at 68F (20C) and I have no trouble holding that with an ice bath even when my apartment is well above that in the summer. Ilford also offers temperature correction charts in their data sheets that are very accurate I have had lots of success processing anywhere from 68F to 78F, as long as you can hold that kind of range you should be ok.

So my lens got here today (ahead of the camera for some reason even though I ordered it after the camera).

Its in really good condition, but I realized as soon as I unwrapped it I made a silly mistake.

Its a non-AI lens that doesnt have the little rabbit ears clippy thing to set the light meter :boxing:

A bit annoying, but not a huge deal I guess - until I get a battery that will suit the camera and some o-rings I was just going to use the app on my phone for metering anyway. From what I understand though, I can still use stop-down metering too.

Now I just want the camera to get here! I have the lens, and a roll each of Tri-X and fuji superia 400 ready to go.

The non-AI have the “rabbit-ears”. They don’t have the tab that links up inside the lens so you have to ratchet through the f-stops to “Index” the lens. Many later lenses kept the “rabbit ears” to be backwards compatible, but the newer “G” lenses made for digital do not have them as there is no aperture ring on the lens. If there is an aperture ring then you can probably add the “rabbit ears”.

To add a bit to what @Dave442 notes the only exception is the D series lenses which do have an aperture ring but practically cant have the rabbit ears added. The small metal ears are added by tapping two screw holes and centering the ears on F/5.6. While you can bore and tap plastic it I would hesitate to do so and hesitate to expect it to hold in place and last.

Interesting. The listing said non-AI, and whatever it is, it doesnt have them. Ill take a picture when I get home or rip them from the listing on my break.

Thank god Canon had the sense to abandon their FD mount once it was redundant.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

This is from the ebay listing:
20180817_111734.jpg

It looks like its missing the ring that normally has the rabbit ears on it going by google pictures. If so - ripped off

@Kramertron2000 Nope its there and it even has the holes drilled (look at the holes behind F/4 and F/8). it looks like someone simply removed the tab. All you will need is the tab, and two screws that hold it in place to get this up and running on your FT body.

Ah awesome. Well I currently work at a warehouse that sells nuts and bolts, so I can grab a couple from work for that, now I just need to find the tab (or get one made)

Here is one on ebay but frankly there are "for parts" lenses going for almost the same cost and it would be a good way to have some other parts you will never need.

On the screw front, make sure you dont get anything with to much of a tip taper, some screws are rounded out a bit at the tip to make them easier to get in. There is not a ton of thread depth to work with on this part so the screws need to grip almost as soon as they enter the hole.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Dave. That guy apparently doesnt post to Australia (but Im sure if I messaged him he would), but its no big deal - I may even get a "for parts" lens at some stage. The screws I nicked from work are too big too - so the holes are smaller than M2 :eek-new:

Its annoying though, the camera still isnt here (so now I wont get it until at least monday). And I paid extra for standard post over economy, while the lens got sent economy, left Japan like 3 days after the camera did and arrived yesterday. Australia Post is horribly inefficient and slow (I swear they just dont bother to deliver mail on Fridays - I dont think Iv ever gotten mail or a delivery on a Friday).

I was looking forward to playing with it over the weekend too :(

Its finally arrived, no thanks to Australia Post :angry: It only took 2 weeks to get from Sydney to North QLD, and 3 days to get from the sorting center in my small city to my house, but it's here.

Everything seems to work, the viewfinder has a bit of dust in it, but not too bad. And as a bonus, I got a free packet of soup! :confused-55:

Now to play around with it for a few hours to make sure the timing on the shutter gets up to speed (if it isnt already) and load it up.

Attachments

• Resized_20180823_165636_1284.jpeg
    Resized_20180823_165636_1284.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 145
View finder dust is no worry, as long as the lens is clear it will take good pictures. However if the dust is thick black particles that may be from degraded and crumbling light seals which will need to be replaced. They are very easy to replace at home and can be had for <$10 USD on line. I consider it almost mandatory when buying a camera of this age but occasionally luck out and they are still good.

Check the mirror bumper which should be a soft foam seal on the front edge of where the mirror flips up. If you push down with your finger the seal should be somewhat spongy and come back to its natural position when released. If you come back with little black bits on your finger or its not soft to the touch its time for a fresh one. This one is a bit more important than the rear seals as it protects the mirror as it actuates. If the rear seals are not looking great either some black electrical tape over the gaps will ensure safe operation until you can get a fresh seal in there. The rear seals also have a U channel that the door sits in to help prevent light from getting in just by the shape of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back