Which camera to choose?

this is from an xt
230451041_7b7df6c63a.jpg

I would say you should hold them in you hands before you buy one. I shopped around for a long time on the internet reading every review I could till I couldn't stand it anymore. Then I got into a store that had a good line-up of camera's and held each one I researched in my hand to see which I liked the feel of the best.

That sounds like good advice. I was thinking about doing this just to see what I like even though I won't be buying for a while. What are some good stores to do this in? Circuit City? Best Buy? I'm in Louisville, Kentucky so there should be something with a decent selection with driving distance.

No real comparison b/w the 2 if u can spend the 120 bucks more go for the Xti, gives u tons of more control & options which the D40 lacks.
If one were too choose between Xti with a D80 then u could go for the nikon'
The Nikon is a begginers SLR with linited options, now that you are upgrading get Xti.It is a small camera too for a SLR.

In the Dpreview review they mentioned the lack of bracketing, depth-of-field preview, and also the fact that the exposure steps are fixed. These features are all nice but I think they aren't really vital, especially for an entry level SLR. Are these the only options you are talking about or are there more I am not aware of?
Between my D80 and the D40, the D40 still gives me control over everything I need. The D80 just gives me more direct access buttons and knobs to make adjustments quickly whereas you'll get bogged down in the D40's menus. I think that's true of the 30/40D and the XT/XTi though.

I'm going on a big overseas vacation in just over 2 weeks and I'd really rather just take my D40 because it's so small and light and does everything that I need it to. The only reason I'm taking the D80 is because I already have 2 batteries for it whereas I only have 1 for the D40. For $50 for another D40 battery, I'll just take the D80. The D40 is a fully capable camera though, and it's no big deal to manually focus on some lenses either (10.5mm fisheye, 50mm @ f/2.8 or smaller, etc)

Hmmm I'm still not sure, I'll try to go to a store soon to see which one feels right. I think overall either would be a fine camera, and I'm not too worried about the D40 issues. The noise test does show the XT is noiser, which may be a problem in low lighting? I think the kit lens would be fine....and for dpreview from what they say about the kit lenses it kind of makes me wonder which I'd be better off with. I don't need a really advanced camera, just something to start out with. I do like the idea of having a light dslr though. I won't be buying for a few months though, which kind of sucks.

The kit lens is perfectly fine, although I can only speak for the Nikon one. Another from tonight, D40, 18-55, bounced SB-400, and this one I actually did some post-processing and sharpening on. :wink:

http://images31.fotki.com/v1085/photos/1/1055548/5818447/DSC_2538d-vi.jpg

Edit: yep there's not much to do now except head to a store to try them all out for feel whenever you're ready and then make the decision from there. If it's not gonna be a few months then there might actually be some new stuff out by then, hehe.

Very nice picture, adorable too :D

Yeah, but I still gotta stay in my budget :p
Probably in the next few days I'll try to get to a store.

i shot this with my XTi the first day i got it on Full auto.

eva.jpg

im new to DSLR but the image quality of the XTi is amazing. and not to mention the 2.5in LCD is alot better than the 1.8in on the XT.

I can get it with the 18-55 mm lens for $470
OMG LUCKY. Here in the UK it cost £300 >=(

Anyway, I've got a D40, and despite the limitations people have talked about, I'm fine with them. a 6MP sensor is fine for anything up to A4 size, and if you're doing home-snapshots, A3 looks fine too. The lens limitations, in my opinion, aren't that much to worry about. The kit 18-55mm lens is fine for macro photography and wide-angle stuff, and a 55-200mm is fine for almost everything else. Even if you do have trouble with finding a decent lens, just ask someone at your local photography shop and they'll point you in the right direction.

And, of course, the D40 is very cheap. It might be because I'm a Nikon guy, but I'd recommend the D40. Well, I'd recommend it if it feels "right" in your hands. No point buying a $470 (LUCKY ****) DSLR if you're still going to use your compact ;)

Edit: If the XT only has a 1.8in screen, then I'd highly recommend the D40. The in-camera post processing effects are incredible as well.

Yeah, there are still a few things that make me lean more towards the D40, it would be between the D40 and the XTi but the XTi is about $100 more so yeah. I really do like the idea of having a bigger screen, but maybe it's just a personal preference. I really have to go get to a store soon :p

I've been in the same pit as you for quite a while. Posting threads and checking reviews but, really even if it means just going to a best buy where stuff is usually overpriced just to try out one or two cameras then by all mean s go. Reviews can't match up to the feel of the camera in your hands.

Well just remember that you have to stay with AF-S and, AF-I lenses with the D40. I have a D80 myself. But you really need to get to the store and, handle them to see which feels best to you. Aslo I believe Best Buy has both models you are wanting to choose from That is if you have one near by.

Yeah if I do go with the D40 I know that, but I don't think it would be too much of a problem, for me at least.
There's a Best Buys nearby, also a Circuit City (I think someone said they might have them) and a Wolf Camera, so I'm good to go. I know sometime this weekend I'll probably get to one of them.

Hi everyone, I'm new. I just bought the Nikon D40. I really liked the way it felt in my hand, the way the menus worked and how much information the camera gave you through the viewfinder.

I took photography in college for one semester, and we used old box cameras and developed our own film before moving on to SLRs. I need a refresher course on how to use all the features of my new toy, but manual focus on other lenses doesn't bother me a bit. It's what I'm used to. Auto focus on an SLR seems weird to me.

One reason that I was swayed to the Nikon was my FIL is a professional photographer and has a closet full of glass he doesn't use anymore. :lol: ---including a sweet 500mm telephoto lense. (it has been 10 years since I've seen this lense so I don't remember exactly what it was) I need a better macro lense right now for a project, so he is letting me borrow one of his. --I just wish he didn't live so far away.

So yeah, I'm still not sure, but I'm definitely going to a store tomorrow or Monday.
Anyone else's personal opinions?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back