• Canon 1100D with twin lens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikon D3200 with twin lens

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

heidijc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a complete newby to photography (currently my only camera is on my phone) so I was wanting some help with which camera to buy. At the moment I mostly want to do portrait stuff, mainly my family however, I would like to be able to branch out a little from the basic photos and do some outdoor eventually too when I know a little more.

My three picks at the moment are:

Nikon P520
Canon 1100D
Nikon D3200

I know the P520 is not an slr but it sounds like I should still be able to do some fiddling? Is that correct?

If i went for the Canon or the D3200 do I really need to buy the twin lens kits or will the single lens do what I need?

Thanks in advance!
from a complete newb!

I am a complete newby to photography (currently my only camera is on my phone) so I was wanting some help with which camera to buy. At the moment I mostly want to do portrait stuff, mainly my family however, I would like to be able to branch out a little from the basic photos and do some outdoor eventually too when I know a little more.

I don't know anything about the 520 or the canon but he is my take on lenses.
I helped my daughter recently buy her first dSLR.
The first thing we got rid of was the twin lens kit.
These are not the greatest quality, but I can tell you:
1) people spend a LOT more on lenses than they ever do on bodies.
2) a good lens can make a significant difference to your photography ... and ... they will outlast your camera bodies by a long margin.
She ended up getting the "Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Autofocus Lens". A lot better than the kit lenses at a good price (not as good as the pro lenses of course)
This lens is perfect for portraiture - if you are looking for longer telephoto / sports, then this isn't the lens for you.
I have no idea what you mean when you say "do some outdoor eventually too" - again if you want long telephoto then I wouldn't go for 18 -105.

You might want to check out this thread:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon/329727-d3100-vs-d5100-vs-d3200.html

Last edited:
I would not get to bogged down with if you should buy twin kit lens sets or not. Basically if you buy any dslr on the market at the moment with its included kit lens and a fast 50mm prime lens (example being canons EF50mm f1.8 or nikons similar) you will be making a massive step up. I would not be afraid to go seconhand either if you can get good conditioned stuff. Nikon d90 with an 18-105mm vr kit lens is readily available secondhand. Add in a 50mm prime and keep a little budget for a flashgun

The 1100D takes a great picture, BUT! it has a small very low quality lcd and has a smooth plastic grip so it`s not easy to hold, also it does not have sensor cleaning, also if you buy it with the kit lens make sure you get the one that has image stabilization.

Now i have said that, BUY the D3200 or if you can afford it the D5200.

John.

D3200, or as someone else mentioned, maybe even a used D90 instead.

There really is nothing wrong with the kit lenses, assuming you are talking about the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. I've owned the both, and FOR WHERE I WAS skill-wise at the time, they were just fine. I still own and use the 18-55mm; I'll upgrade eventually, but I'm really in no rush to do so.

If I were buying a new DSLR, knowing what I *didn't* know when I bought my first, here's what I'd do:

--Get the BEST camera you can afford to start, then stick with that body for a while and concentrate on upgrading lenses.
Today, if I were buying a DSLR for the first time, I think I'd pick either the D3200, or possibly the D5200 or D7100 if I could afford it.
--I'd get the standard kit lens with it, and then I'd buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens. As soon as I could afford it, I'd buy the 70-300 VR lens; you can get them used as well to save some money.

But really, even if you just get the camera body and the 18-55 lens to start, you'll have plenty to learn with, and then you can start saving your money so that as you learn and know what other lenses will suit *your* needs, you can begin adding to your collection.

Caveat: I didn't recommend the Canon because I don't know Canons. I know Nikons, and I love them. :D

I would say go D5200, it will take you a while before you outgrow it!

Most reactions

Back