Which Canon to upgrade to?

solnsin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a Digital Rebel (yep the very first original one) and am looking to upgrade. I have quite a few lenses, but all are from when I owned a couple of Canon 35mm SLR's back in high school and I would be willing to upgrade given the right reasons. My pics are of everything, mainly wildlife, landscapes and people (friends kids playing sports). I don't do anything professionally but am thinking about moving that way some day. I was thinking about a 50D just because my current lenses would work with it, but am looking for thoughts and opinions. I'd like to get away from the "rebel" line and get something a little sturdier. Help :D

At this time, I would probably suggest you getting a 40D on clearance somewhere or even used. The 50D is about to be replaced by the 60D and I don't think I would spend the $$$ for it right now. It should fall in price when the 60D comes out. Rumors have hte 60D announcement coming next month.

40D or 50D...or wait for the next one in the line. The announcement may or may not come soon, but it may be a few more months before you can actually get your hands on one.

Another option would be to go with a 5D (or 5D II). These cameras are 'full frame' and so would give you the field of view that you were used to with your 35mm film SLR. The image quality and especially the high ISO performance is great, but they are more expensive.

And of course, there is the 1D(s) line of pro bodies. These may be out of your price range though...they are certainly out of mine.

If, I read your post correctly you would also consider a change of brand. That would take a fair bit of research on your part.

According to DXO Mark's lab, Nikon's D90 has measureably better RAW image color depth, dynamic range, and more usable high ISO than the comparably priced Canon 50D.

DXO Mark does not compare camera features, only RAW image quailty. You would need to compare features if you were to consider a change of brand.

Isn't the 60D supposed to have a 35mm sensor? If you want a full-frame, it might be worth waiting for that over nabbing a 5D or the 50D (crop).

Edit: +1 to KmH's post. I completely agree with him. (Whoa, a Canon guy saying, yeah, consider switching to Nikon. Is the world upside-down today or something?)

I don't think that the quality difference would justify switching systems if they already have several Canon lenses.

Isn't the 60D supposed to have a 35mm sensor?
I highly doubt it. If they did that, who would ever buy their 5D series cameras?

I plan on getting the 50D soon (if I ever find a job in this economy) I was thinking about getting the "60D" but the movie mode actually turned me off. I heard from a lot of people on here that SLRs as well as DSLRs are designed for one thing, PICTURES! If you want something that records, get a video camera. If you are into wildlife and macro photography like me than I think the 50D would be great for you. I have done months of research on what I want...

Isn't the 60D supposed to have a 35mm sensor? If you want a full-frame, it might be worth waiting for that over nabbing a 5D or the 50D (crop).

Edit: +1 to KmH's post. I completely agree with him. (Whoa, a Canon guy saying, yeah, consider switching to Nikon. Is the world upside-down today or something?)

Why not wait for the 70D that will be medium format :lol:

If, I read your post correctly you would also consider a change of brand. That would take a fair bit of research on your part.

According to DXO Mark's lab, Nikon's D90 has measureably better RAW image color depth, dynamic range, and more usable high ISO than the comparably priced Canon 50D.

DXO Mark does not compare camera features, only RAW image quailty. You would need to compare features if you were to consider a change of brand.
Why would he want to change brands? Then all his lenses would be useless...

Why would he want to change brands? Then all his lenses would be useless...
No they wouldn't 'useless'. They still have resale value.

Which lenses do you have now? How much of an upgrade are you looking for? How much are you planning to spend?

If you have a large selection of EF-S lenses that you want to keep using, you might find a good deal on an EOS 40D, now that it has recently been discontinued. If you want a full frame camera for your EF lenses, the EOS 5D Mk. II is very attractive, for about three times the price of the EOS 40D.

I put about as much stock in DXO Labs sensor tests as I do Ken Rockwell reviews (which aint much).

Look up the Canon 1Ds Mark II and the 1D Mark III and the older generation camera actually out performs the newer in ISO performance according to them. I see lots of conversations on the boards about people finding some pretty funny anomalies in DXO test results.

In real world results the 50D produces images as good as any camera in its class, regardless of manufacturer.

I would personally much rather have a 50D than a D90 as the 50D is a metal framed prosumer while the D90 is a plastic framed consumer camera. Now, compare the 50D to the D300 and there's a more even match.

Most reactions

Back