Which DX lens for portraits?

Tinderbox (UK)

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.

I read that 85mm on a full frame camera gives the best portrait images with least distortion, but that would be 127mm on an DX camera a bit too long.

A 35mm on an DX is 53mm, but i have read that this is not the best as there is some distortion, bigger noses things like that.

Is a 50mm on an DX giving 75mm the best option?

Thanks

John.

I have had the 35mm 1.8G, various 50mm lenses and the 85mm 1.8G. Although it would be considered "long" to some, I prefer it, even on the DX crop.

Good luck

I don't think there is a 100% consensus what is the best portrait lens.
I heard all the way from 50mm, 85mm, 105mm and also long zoom lens

I think its more a matter of personal taste, probably all these lenses will be able to produce good results.

For a prime, on a DX body... I much prefer a 50mm (preferably F1.4. The F1.4 lenses are typically built better with better glass than the so called nifty fifty 1.8). Especially when indoors, it will give you good perspective with minimal distortion.

The 35 1.8 is much more prone to perspective distortion if you get too close with it, but will be fine for full length shots... but I don't like what it does to faces when you do head and shoulders shots. Even though it gives a 53mm FOV on a DX, the perspective distortion is still that of a 35mm.

I often use my 70-200 outdoors, and my 24-70 indoors (on both DX and FX) just for the convenience.. and am careful to avoid perspective distortion with the wide end of the 24-70. The apertures on these lenses are max 2.8... but if you know how to use distance to subject / subject to background, 2.8 will still allow excellent background blur (bokeh). And being Pro glass.. it is sharp! I have also used my 70-200 at 200mm for shooting executive portraits in boardrooms. Does very nicely!

Last edited:
I use a 50mm 1.8 for all my portraits. There is some distortion but its easy enough to fix in post.

Not to mention its a great fast and sharp lens for other stuff. Plus you can't beat the price.

First, just in case there is any misconception, focal length is focal length irrespective of the sensor size of the camera. 50mm is 50mm whether on an M4/3, DX, or FF body. What changes is the field of view, so, using a 50mm lens on a DX body gives the equivalent field of view of a 70-75mm (Depending on which brand of body) lens on an FF body, but all of the other optical characteristics are more or less unchanged.

I agree with Charlie's suggestions (and shoot that way myself). I do like the 85mm 1.4 on both formats as well. One lens that I think is often overlooked as a portrait lens, especially on DX bodies is the Nikkor 60mm f2.8 macro! I used it a lot on my D300, and while you have to be a tad more careful with focus, it's beautifully sharp!

As others have said, it depends on personal preference. A 100-135 is going to give the most accurate rendition of a person's facial features. There was a technical article that I read a while back, not sure if I can find it now, but this was tested in a lab and it turned out the 135 was most accurate. A wider lens will add depth and a longer lens will compress. But in either case it can be used to add or screw up the portrait, again, depending on your taste. Lots of creative potential in portraiture. Just experiment as much as possible.

So a 50mm on an DX body, even though it has the field of view of 75mm, it still has the distortions of an 50mm is this correct?

Thanks

EDIT: I read that for portraits the focal length should be at least twice the diagonal of the image sensor so that is 56.4mm for my D7100 or 86.36mm for an D600

John.

First, just in case there is any misconception, focal length is focal length irrespective of the sensor size of the camera. 50mm is 50mm whether on an M4/3, DX, or FF body. What changes is the field of view, so, using a 50mm lens on a DX body gives the equivalent field of view of a 70-75mm (Depending on which brand of body) lens on an FF body, but all of the other optical characteristics are more or less unchanged.

I agree with Charlie's suggestions (and shoot that way myself). I do like the 85mm 1.4 on both formats as well. One lens that I think is often overlooked as a portrait lens, especially on DX bodies is the Nikkor 60mm f2.8 macro! I used it a lot on my D300, and while you have to be a tad more careful with focus, it's beautifully sharp!

Last edited:

I usually have the 60mm f2.8 mounted on one of my D7000 bodies as a “60 prime” lenses, but I occasionally get the “umm, you can’t use the lenses for that” remark.

My favorite lense for portraits is my 50mm 1.4
I own a 35mm 1.8 and it is a close second for me.

I have a 50mm 1.8 g and i love it! The 50 1.8g and 1.4g don't have much of a difference in image quality but the price of the 1.4g doubles!

The 85mm is a bit long, so you need some room to frame the shot, but it's one hell of a glass. So the 50mm could be a good choice is space is limited where you are shooting.

do you have any lens right now that can go to 50mm and/or 85mm so you can get an idea of what it's like?

The best portrait lens (DX or FX) is a 70-200 f/2.8! (read it on the internet.. so it must be true)

If it HAS to be a prime then i'd pick the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G (again.. DX or FX)... but i'd end up selling that and buying a 70-200 f/2.8... so why even bother.

With a longer lens, you'll need a longer room. Add up the background to model distance, and then your 85mm or whichever lens you want, and some room for you behind the camera and you find that you need some significant space, especially if shooting full-length portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back