Which equipment to buy first. Flash or monitor calibrator.

Jptex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am wanting to purchase the spyder pro 4 to calibrate my monitor and I want to purchase a speed light setup, with a soft box or umbrella. My question is should I buy the speed light first or worry about my monitor. I don't print out many pictures, but I do email pictures to people quit often. On the other hand, I want to start learning to shoot with flash. I am looking at the Yonguo yn-560 III with their radio triggers. To start learning on.

I am trying to prioritize which equipment to buy first. I am curious on y'all's input.

Jason

I guess it comes down to which is more important to you.

I've bought alot of equipment
but have yet to calibrate my laptop, if it is calibratible. Otherwise I'd have to use an external calibrated monitor.

I have noticed when I put pictures up on Flickr that some pictures are not what I thought I saw on my computer. But then I've heard that Flickr can "change" things.

If you are making some money from your photos then definitely YES, calibrate your monitor.
Or if you want to maintain the highest quality of photos that you give away then Yes, calibrate your monitor.

Otherwise I think which every you think is more important.

Honestly I would say go for the flash setup. All added together its likely to be the greater investment cost and it also really increases what you can do with the camera. If you're not printing then calibration isn't a massive concern so long as your monitor isn't too widely out. Yes its a concern and a calibrator should likely be on your to get list; but I'd try and get what you can for the camera first. You can always re-edit a shot after you get the calibrator - you can't always retake a shot because you didn't have the right gear the first time (because chances are it won't be there a second time to take)

Buy the flash gear setup. You e-mail pictures to people? Well...those people no doubt have a wide variety of monitors, with widely varying degrees of quality and calibration. People who see your work on their monitors probably see it in many different environments: iPhone,Android phone,iPad,work computer, home computer, laptop, notebook, Grandma's computer, their old junky monitor, their good, new monitor, etc.

That is basically the way I am thinking. I am not selling photos, so there is no real reason to calibrate my monitor at the moment. I do want to learn how to use off camera flash to improve my photography.

This will be a birthday gift to myself. I have about $350 to put toward a flash set up.

Jason

That is basically the way I am thinking. I am not selling photos, so there is no real reason to calibrate my monitor at the moment. I do want to learn how to use off camera flash to improve my photography.

This will be a birthday gift to myself. I have about $350 to put toward a flash set up.

Jason

Learning flash has so many rewards :)

In addition to what keith lists,
keep an eye out on ebay for auctions selling "nice" used stand - umbrella packages. You'll have to research to make sure you aren't buying someone else's junk though. Otherwise, just go wtih the recommendation above. there aren't many good used "packages" on ebay though _ I just took a look.

For instance, I bought this recently which was over $200 if I bought new.
Super Portable Flash Lighting Kit with Stands Brackets Umbrellas Bag | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a tough one because I usually recommend education before equipment. Nobody can really answer this for you. Just figure out which will advance your photography more. A good lab like Mpix will automatically correct color to an extent. If you capture correctly, color will be decent out of camera. If you edit extensively, you'll need a calibrated monitor or you could be making unnecessary changes. So if you do a lot of editing, maybe calibration is a good first step. If not, maybe it's time to experiment with flash. I'm publishing a flash buying article tonight and I never recommend wasting money on cheap off brands. When it comes to critical equipment, it's always worth spending more on the name brand stuff. You don't have to go new. Used and refurbished items save you plenty of money and work no differently than the new stuff. Radio triggers are rarely necessary for beginners. Learn flash first and then figure out whether you need radio triggering.

Just buy the monitor calibrator at a big box store with a good return policy, use it and then bring it back saying you are dissatisfied with the product... then go out and buy some lighting gear.

Maybe not the most honest approach, but it does solve your dilemma.

Just buy the monitor calibrator at a big box store with a good return policy, use it and then bring it back saying you are dissatisfied with the product... then go out and buy some lighting gear.

Not an honest approach and also one that doesn't actually work

If screen calibration only had to be done once it would be done at the factory. The truth is that screens drift over time and most people will recalibrate every two weeks once they have a calibrated system. So doing it once isn't really any good; you've got to have the machine to recalibrate on a regular basis otherwise there is no point.

LOL.:mrgreen: I love it. It is the same way my wife buys clothes. Buy a dress use it for the occasion, make it though out the night with no stains and take it back the following day.:mrgreen:

Well thanks for all the responses, I have made up my mind and I am going for a flash and a set up with an umbrella. Maybe this summer I will look at getting a monitor calibrator. I want to upgrade my computer and monitor, that might be the time to invest in all things computer related.

Dial back the gamma and contrast on a new monitor and you should be all set.

Most reactions

Back