Which filter?

My thoughts exactly...

Rabieshund said:
You couldn't give us a link that verfies your statement, because I think it sounds pretty interesting...?

What kind of shooting do you guys do or how do you take care of your camera that you're worried about scratching the lens? I think it's a valid concern, don't get me wrong, but I use the lens cap religiously and really unless I drop the camera or back the lens into something I don't see how it can really get damaged. In my opinion it's just another piece of glass to affect the image and attract dust / smudges that doesn't really provide a value (at least one that a lens cap can't provide). Just my .02.

Philly, you use £ . so I assume that you are in the U.K. All filters degrade the light and reduce the amount reaching the film / sensor.... But in the case of a UV, Not a lot. it is worth keeping it on all the time unless you need to place another filter (Grad, Warm up polarisor etc) on the end, as more filters beggar up the light faster.
I assume that you are not a world famous pro (If so go for the very best and most expensive filters on the market). So you will be on a buget. A filter is cheaper than a lens, so the protection is just common sense. Jessops do an excellent range of inexpensive filters (Their polarisor is right up there with the best of them). these will serve you well and last a while into the bargain. Buy the best you can afford as in most cases there is a reason for this (top quality optical glass, multi layered coatings etc ). stick to a good name that you know. and you won't go far wrong. As long as you get a good quality filter the differences in the results will need very close examination to become apparent.

Grab the cheapest you can. Unless you shoot for a magazine where the upmost detail is important, or shoot in conditions that cause internal reflections in the lens you will not notice it. Afterall if you find yourself in a situation where the filter is actively causing a problem with your image, you could always just screw it off!

Most reactions

Back