Which Is A Better Buy ??

tkaat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought my D40 last week and was thinking bout getting another lens but have small budget
Which is a better lens to buy
Sigma AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro SLR Lens -58mm- f/Nikon
Tamron AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II Macro LD SLR Lens -52mm- f/Nikon
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Macro f/Nikon -62mm
Tamron AF 75-300mm F4.0-5.6 LD Macro SLR Lens -62mm- f/Nikon
Nikon DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G Lens
Sigma AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Digital SLR Lens -55mm- f/Nikon
Tamron AF 75-300mm F4.0-5.6 LD Macro SLR Lens -62mm- f/Nikon

i have a $200 budget to buy the lens and a filter & a bag if i could squeez it into my budget
I was also wondering if this website is a creditable website to buy from ?

check out photosig.com

You can look at images sorted by lens and see what people are doing with the lens you are interested in.

I have Sigma and Tamron and like the ones I have, but am not familiar with the ones you posted.

In our FAQ thread (see link in sig) the very first link is to resellerratings.com where you can look up places and see if they're legit or not. I think I've heard of these guys and think they're OK, but look them up.

About the only lens that will autofocus on your D40 is the Nikkor 55-200 lens, which is AF-S, which is what's required for autofocusing on the D40. With Sigma you need HSM, but I don't think any of those have it, and almost no Tamrons do. I've owned the Nikkor 55-200 personally and it's a great lens. It has top-notch and very under-rated optics. It's sharp all the way out to 200mm and you don't even need to stop it down. Most of the cheaper sub-$200 70-300mm telephoto zooms get really soft past 200mm and might not give you the best results unless your'e on a tripod since they're not stabilized either. If you can squeeze it into your budget, I'd try to find a good deal on the 55-200 VR lens which is about $200 by itself, but definitely a worthy upgrade vs the 55-200 non-VR since you'll be able to shoot it in all sorts of low light situations thanks to the stabilization.

I cannot be much help other than to say that I, too, would get the 55-200mm VR lens as well.

But I'm skipping that altogether to save for the 70-300mm VR AF-S lens (or however the hell the order of all that goes).
Yes, apparently I'm poor and $500 is a lot of money for me to dish out at once.:mrgreen:

i read couple of the reviews on the nikon 55-200VR and have to say i like but the price is to high for me right now so i may wait for it and i checked out 17street.com and it is 100% legit thanks 4 the advice

I just bought my D40 last week and was thinking bout getting another lens but have small budget Which is a better lens to buy

In my opinion I don't think this is the right time to buy second lens, any lens. Give it few months until you know which lens does what from the reviewers, the pro and users reviews. In few months time you will have more budget and more choices. Be patience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back