What's new

Which is the most Optically Outstanding Canon/Nikon Lens?

Which is the most Optically Outstanding Canon/Nikon Lens?

  • Canon 300mm 2.8L IS

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VR II

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G ED VR II

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Canon 200mm f/2L IS

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Nikon 200mm f/2.0G ED IF VR

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Canon 35mm 1.4L

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nikon 24mm 1.4G ED

    Votes: 2 7.4%

  • Total voters
    27
Canon MPE 65mm is the sharpest macro lens I own even wide open its very sharp! It certainly belongs on an optical quality contest though for usablity it does have some shortfalls (no infinity focus for one thing).

Also I'm torn - on the canon front - the 300mm f2.8 IS L is a fantastic lens and certainly streets ahead of many - however the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L; whilst not as good at taking something like a 2*TC as the 300mm the fact that its a zoom and achives such high levels of optical quality is worthy of note (though I also think that the nikon equivalent is probably just as good and I thnk they upgraded theirs before canon as well).

So in the end (canon shooter) I'll go for the 300mm f2.8 IS L :)
 
Ya I think the Canon and Nikon 70-200s are very close.

Both of them are so outstanding, and you can't really go wrong with either.

It does seem like the Canon 300mm could give the Nikon 200 f/2 a run in the optical quality department.

I don't really know for sure, as I have never shot with either.

I do believe though that the Nikon 200mm f/2 is newer, and thus possibly better corrected than the Canon 300mm.

Probably best to just say they are both outstanding lenses, and I would love to own either.
 
From what I've read about and experienced with the 70-200 2.8 IS II, it's by far the best zoom lens Canon makes and nearly on par with the 300/2.8 in IQ. The Nikon 70-200 VRII is probably close, but I've never seen any direct comparissons (probably because no one would ever cross-shop those lenses).
 
From what I've read about and experienced with the 70-200 2.8 IS II, it's by far the best zoom lens Canon makes and nearly on par with the 300/2.8 in IQ. The Nikon 70-200 VRII is probably close, but I've never seen any direct comparissons (probably because no one would ever cross-shop those lenses).

Here is the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II review at dpreview.com:

Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II USM Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Here is the summary:

"Canon's update to its professional fast telezoom may look much the same on the outside, but internally it's been updated to give image quality that's quite simply the best in its class. Effective autofocus and image stabilization systems, plus full weather sealing, round off a compelling package."​

Its damn near a toss-up though I think.​

Ya I would agree that the 70-200mm 2.8L IS II is quite possibly the best lens Canon has ever made. This would be personal preference of course though.​

I think the question is if the Nikon 200mm f/2 really is the best lens ever made from the 2 companies.​

Theres a pretty good chance this is true in my opinion....​
 
My 300mmF2.8L :D

I wish that I owned that lens lol.

Want to trade me for my 85mm 1.2?

Never been dropped, only been used for a week.

You know you want to.....
 
From what I've read about and experienced with the 70-200 2.8 IS II, it's by far the best zoom lens Canon makes and nearly on par with the 300/2.8 in IQ. The Nikon 70-200 VRII is probably close, but I've never seen any direct comparissons (probably because no one would ever cross-shop those lenses).

Here is the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II review at dpreview.com:

Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II USM Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Here is the summary:

"Canon's update to its professional fast telezoom may look much the same on the outside, but internally it's been updated to give image quality that's quite simply the best in its class. Effective autofocus and image stabilization systems, plus full weather sealing, round off a compelling package."​

Its damn near a toss-up though I think.​

Ya I would agree that the 70-200mm 2.8L IS II is quite possibly the best lens Canon has ever made. This would be personal preference of course though.​

I think the question is if the Nikon 200mm f/2 really is the best lens ever made from the 2 companies.​

Theres a pretty good chance this is true in my opinion....​

Wrong the best lens that Canon have made is the 200mmF1.8
 
omg....

I don't know anything about this lens lol.
 
Last edited:
My 300mmF2.8L :D

I wish that I owned that lens lol.

Want to trade me for my 85mm 1.2?

Never been dropped, only been used for a week.

You know you want to.....

No thank's, this is it fitted with a kenko 2x
188042218_XuHN3-L.jpg
 
I can't see it....

Damn this government network.

I will take a look again when I get home.
 
Gary...

Don't you think the Canon 200mm f/2 would probably be better corrected?

I have no idea really, I am just guessing it would be since its like 20 years newer.

This is the first I am hearing of the 200mm 1.8.

From the quick research I just did, it seems to be a legendary lens. :thumbup:

Edit: Ya I read the review on the digital picture.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom