I thought it would be fun to vote on which lens is the most optically outstanding of the Nikon/Canon lenses.
I am only including a limited range 24-300mm, and current production lenses that I feel are contenders. I apoligize if I left out any lenses you felt should have be included.
The contenders:
Canon 300mm 2.8L IS
Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VR II
Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G ED VR II
Canon 200mm f/2L IS
Nikon 200mm f/2.0G ED IF VR
Canon 35mm 1.4L
Nikon 24mm 1.4G ED
Edit: Feel free to tell us which Canon/Nikon lens you feel is best, even if it isn't on the list. Mostly I just want to discuss these 2 companies finest lenses, and their strengths and weaknesses.
I think the best lens in terms of quality I have used so far would be a tie and there both Canon lenses. The 85 F/1.2 and the 135 F/2 Both are incredible lenses in every way. I hope to get my own 135 within 6 months or so after I get another body and a couple cheaper lenses I want. I sure hope so.
I will add this also Canon's 85 F/1.8 should be on the list in many ways. The lens produces shots that come real close in many ways to the 1.2 version and being 1.8 is not much slower. I believe should definitely be in every Canon shooters bag. Plus that 375.00 price tag compared to the 1,950.00 tag of the 1.2 is real tough to ignore. So needless to say its one of the lenses I will be adding to my bag real soon.