Which kit lens should I go with? Please give m your imput! :)

MiiLovely

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So in a few weeks I will be purchasing a nikon D7000 and I can either get it with a VR 18-55mm or an VR 18-105mm
The differance is about 200$.
I know neither of these lenses are ideal for portraits but that is what I will be doing mostly.
Is it worth the extra 200$ for the 18-105 or will the 18-55 do me good until I can save for enough for a proper portrait lens (which would be in about a month or two)

-Thanks!

Would go with the 18-105vr as an outstanding lens for a kit lens. And with the package deal only $200 more. As when you get around to selling it for $200-$250 is the going rate. Will help finance part of your portrait lens. Or keep it as it has a great range and Great Image IQ for being what it is.

I got a D7000 myself and had the opportunity to use both the 18-55 and the 18-105 kit lenses as I also have a D3100 (which I have no intnetion of giving up). Both lenses are ok as a walk-around lens; the 18-55mm has a rotating front element and the 18-105 doesnt have this. The 18-105 also has ED glass while the 18-55 doesnt (as written in the nikon site). So, the 18-105 should give you 'better' image results and also a more durable lens since there are no moving parts outside the lens (but i think its up to the one using it to determine how long the gear would last)

Although I recommend neither if you plan to use it as one of your primary lenses. I sold the 18-105mm, kept the 18-55mm, and bought the expensive 16-85mm for my walk-around lens since it gives me better VR. The 18-55 is just sitting in my shelf incase the 16-85 breaks down.

EDIT: yeah, the post above is exactly what i did. I sold the 18-105 to add some amount of $$ to get a better zoom lens

I have them both and as for image quality, I haven't seen much if any difference. The 18-105 is of course much better from 56-105 lol but it is bigger and heavier too. The build quality of the 18-105 is a bit better than the 18-55 and it manually focuses easier. The front element on the 18-55 does rotate and it does not on the 18-105. With the price differential, I call it a draw.

Thank you for the replies! unfortunetly I am still unsure now as to which lens I will choose.
Does anyone know a really good portraits lens for a decent price? (its its in my price range I will more then likely get the 18-55 and then get the portrait lens asap. ty!)

skip the kit lens all together and get a 35mm af-s and a used 85mm af

Thank you for the replies! unfortunetly I am still unsure now as to which lens I will choose.
Does anyone know a really good portraits lens for a decent price? (its its in my price range I will more then likely get the 18-55 and then get the portrait lens asap. ty!)

If you can afford the extra $200, I should think the 18-105 would be the better choice for portraiture. Most individual portraits will work better with less distortion, therefore the longer lens would be the better choice.

As for a "really good" portrait lens for a "decent price" you may be out of luck, unless your budget can stretch far enough to obtain a "really good" lens.

Here is my suggested plan: Ask to try them both in the store. You could look through the viewfinder and focus on someone to simulate a portrait session. Get the one that looks better. While you are getting practice with the kit lens, save your money for the next "really good" portrait lens.

It's not a zoom lens, but the 35mm f/1.8G DX is a fantastic entry-level lens. Wonderfully sharp and acceptable bokeh. If this is your first serious camera purchase, using a prime lens instead of a zoom may be a great idea, as it will help you learn to think about your images more.

Link: Nikon 35mm AF-S f/1.8G DX

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If I had it to do over again I would never have bought the kit lens. I would have saved my money for the quality lens that I wanted. That's just my two cents. I know it doesn't answer your question but, maybe you'll learn from my experience. Best of luck.

If I had it to do over again I would never have bought the kit lens. I would have saved my money for the quality lens that I wanted. That's just my two cents. I know it doesn't answer your question but, maybe you'll learn from my experience. Best of luck.

She needs a lens, and for the money, I see nothing wrong with getting the package deal, which includes a lens. According to your way of thinking, no lens is better than the entry level lens. I do not agree.

Thank you everyone! I have deffinelty decided :) I am going to go with the 18-55mm kit lens and since I get paid a week or so later I will be purchesing the 35mm/1.8f within a week or two of getting my camera and kit lens. (I would jut purches the body and 35mm lens but I want to order it online as its cheaper then retail price (plus I can practice with the kit lens nget use to the setting on the camera.)
:) thank you everyone

Designer said:
According to your way of thinking, no lens is better than the entry level lens.
Wrong! Not at all what I said. You should read a little more closely. My opinion is to NOT waste money on an entry level lens. I regret buying my kit lens and wish I would have waited and purchased quality glass.
Also was simply voicing my regret from my experience. Should have personally gotten 70-200 vrII glass right off the bat for myself instead of spending on slower glass.

I dont mind spending some money on a lower lens for the first week or so to get a hang of the settings on my camera :) (honestly anything at this point is better then what I have! lol)

I dont mind spending some money on a lower lens for the first week or so to get a hang of the settings on my camera :) (honestly anything at this point is better then what I have! lol)

I was simply letting you know my situation. If you should get hooked like I have on photography you too may regret purchasing a kit lens. I regret not showing some personal self control and waiting a little while longer so that I could get the lens that would best suit my needs. I also know when I'm excited that self control I speak of always runs right out the window. LOL. I recently watched a seminar where the professional stated if you have $3K buy yourself a quality lens and spend the remainder on the camera. In either case I was just responding to your request "for input" with my noob opinion. I'm glad you have come to a decision and was just here to give you my 2cents. ;)
Have a great weekend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back