Which kit lens should I go with? Please give m your imput! :)

Thank you :) and I do understand where you are coming from but right now I am very impatient as I have been waiting/saving to get my camera for about 4 months now! lol

Thank you :) and I do understand where you are coming from but right now I am very impatient as I have been waiting/saving to get my camera for about 4 months now! lol
In your situation, I would get the 18-55 because it is a couple hundred bucks less and I don't see much real advantage in the 18-105. After you have used it for a while you will know what you really need and save up your money it. Lots of people will tell you to wait and buy what you really need but, at this point you are just chomping at the bit to start taking pictures and that IS what you really need to be doing. Some of the greatest pictures have been taken with very meager equipment.

In your situation, I would get the 18-55 because it is a couple hundred bucks less and I don't see much real advantage in the 18-105. After you have used it for a while you will know what you really need and save up your money it. Lots of people will tell you to wait and buy what you really need but, at this point you are just chomping at the bit to start taking pictures and that IS what you really need to be doing. Some of the greatest pictures have been taken with very meager equipment.

yess! I am eggear to start learning/understand the manual settings on my camera (because if I dont know that, I will get these amazing lenses and be getting not so great photos because I didnt study and practice and I think it would be a littler overwhelming at first.)

MiiLovely said:
yess! I am eggear to start learning/understand the manual settings on my camera (because if I dont know that, I will get these amazing lenses and be getting not so great photos because I didnt study and practice and I think it would be a littler overwhelming at first.)

The 18-55 will suit you fine. Maybe grab the extra $200 and put it towards a flash or grab a 35 or 50 mm prime.

35mm is super fun to use, and will definitely help you learn. Its cheaper than the 18-105 too

I've been using the 18-105mm that came with my D7000 for about a month now. A few days ago I switched it out with the 18-55 that came with the D5100. I can honestly say that I prefer the 18-55. It is lighter, smaller and will focus closer (1:3). I like to get close to bugs and flowers and the VR with the 18-55 seems to work better up close. This is my experience.

Here's my vote: Go with the cheaper of the two and buy the 50mm f/1.8 for a portrait lens.
You won't be ready for real portraits for a good 6 months of learning. In which case my choice would be the longer lens to give you more versatility while you are learning and to purchase a good portrait lens when you know what you need and want, but that would make sense so, go with option one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back