What's new

Which lady is better

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
1,398
Reaction score
159
Location
Boca Raton, FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Here are 2 shots and I'm looking for general C&C, and also opinions on which is better, the colour, or black and white.
 

Attachments

  • Woman in hat in Dead Sea.webp
    Woman in hat in Dead Sea.webp
    192.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Woman in hat in Dead Sea - B-W.webp
    Woman in hat in Dead Sea - B-W.webp
    265.5 KB · Views: 173
Colour. With all due respect I think that your black&white processing lacks of structure on the hat to enhance its texture a little bit, and lacks of a touch of contrast.

Regarding the composition, I would have placed the subject towards the bottom-right corner to gain efficiency.
 
Colour. With all due respect I think that your black&white processing lacks of structure on the hat to enhance its texture a little bit, and lacks of a touch of contrast.

Regarding the composition, I would have placed the subject towards the bottom-right corner to gain efficiency.
Hi Elie,

Thanks for the c&c.
I personally like the hat as is, as I feel it draws the eye directly in. Plus the placement of the person in the frame is done to use the wave ringlets as another part of drawing the eye into the frame. If I would have moved her into the bottom right of the frame, the ripples would not have been as clearly visible, and wouldn't have drawn the eye in as much.
Admittedly, these are just my opinions, and I would love to hear from others what they think too.
 
Indeed we all have a different 'eye'.
 
I prefer the colour version. As for the composition, I'd consider putting the hands in the center with the waves radiating from that point. The hands and the waves they create seem to be a unifying element in this image, at least for me.
 
Color.

The trim of her hat matches the color of the water, which reinforces the idea that the ripples start with her, and it also connects the woman to the circular pattern, contrasting with how her arms break the pattern of the water.

Also, there is a nice texture added by the rocks beneath the surface, but in the black and white version, the rocks are kind of lost.
 
I prefer the colour version. As for the composition, I'd consider putting the hands in the center with the waves radiating from that point. The hands and the waves they create seem to be a unifying element in this image, at least for me.
Hi pgriz,

Thanks for the C&C. I have attached the crop that you suggested, let me know what you think. I really cannot make up my mind which I prefer.
 

Attachments

  • Woman in hat in Dead Sea - cropped to center of hands.webp
    Woman in hat in Dead Sea - cropped to center of hands.webp
    209.6 KB · Views: 147
Color.

The trim of her hat matches the color of the water, which reinforces the idea that the ripples start with her, and it also connects the woman to the circular pattern, contrasting with how her arms break the pattern of the water.

Also, there is a nice texture added by the rocks beneath the surface, but in the black and white version, the rocks are kind of lost.
Thanks limr,

I agree with everything you said about the colour image, and really like part about the rocks giving texture. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I did not see that. And now, it is plain as day.
 
Hi pgriz,

Thanks for the C&C. I have attached the crop that you suggested, let me know what you think. I really cannot make up my mind which I prefer.

Borush, the first image is about the hat (that's the central focus point). The second image is about the hands in the water. At least for me, there's more connection between the woman and her surroundings in the second. It's subtle, but alternating between the two, I prefer the crop I suggested to you.
 
Borush, the first image is about the hat (that's the central focus point). The second image is about the hands in the water. At least for me, there's more connection between the woman and her surroundings in the second. It's subtle, but alternating between the two, I prefer the crop I suggested to you.
After cropping it, I see what you mean, and I definitely agree, the cropped version is FAR better. Thanks!!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom