Which lens should i invest in?

Jayman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just getting into photography and was wondering which lenses I should invest my money in. i take pictures of everything but mostly outdoor scenes and some indoor stuff. i have a 18-105mm VR which is the kit lens that came with my D90 (which is nice) but i was also looking into the 70-300mm VR and/or the 50mm 1.4G. Im going to europe spring break and i want to make sure im covered. also could you suggest some filters i should get for UV and polarizing. Thanks.

I am just getting into photography and was wondering which lenses I should invest my money in. i take pictures of everything but mostly outdoor scenes and some indoor stuff. i have a 18-105mm VR which is the kit lens that came with my D90 (which is nice) but i was also looking into the 70-300mm VR and/or the 50mm 1.4G. Im going to europe spring break and i want to make sure im covered. also could you suggest some filters i should get for UV and polarizing. Thanks.
Your camera has a UV filter on the image sensor so you don't need those.

You'll need Circular Polarizing filters (CPL) for each size filter of your lenses.

The 50 f1.4 uses a 58mm filter size.
The 70-300 uses a 67 mm filter size as does the 18-105 so you only need one for both of those lenses.

B+W makes good filters, the best are probably made by Singh-Ray.

Q: "...which lenses I should invest my money in. i take pictures of everything but mostly outdoor scenes and some indoor stuff."

For the indoor stuff on a DX Nikon, a short-ish,fast prime lens like the 35mm f/1.8-AF-S G makes sense as a normal lens that will not distort things too much,and which is small,light, and only around $200.

The 24mm f/2.8 AF-D is also another favorite of mine for a small,light lens for indoor use. I'd buy this lens on the used market--it seems to be a pretty tough lens that does not become decentered even with rough use.

There are a zillion lenses on the market; the 70-300 VR is getting rave reviews,even from higher-end shooters using the D3x. people like Thom Hogan are reaching for the 70-300 VR for many uses. High praise indeed.

I agree-skip the UV and or clear protective filters, but the Circular Polarizer is a nice filter to have for many scenic and landscape shots. Many people like the new Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens as an all-arounder; the range is right,and it has high speed, enough for indoor use. I have the 18-105--it seems good at f/8 and f/9.5, but is a bit "pokey" for low-light use. Have fun on your trip.

You'll need Circular Polarizing filters (CPL) for each size filter of your lenses.

B+W makes good filters, the best are probably made by Singh-Ray.
I was all over B+W in the beginning and did believe they have a superior product, until I got a Hoya PRO1 series CPL filter. Bang for the buck, this filter delivers the goods.

The 50 f1.4 uses a 58mm filter size.

Not trying to be rude, just trying to be correct ~

My Nikon AF D 50mm f/1.4 takes a 52mm filter size, have it right here beside me, just double checked to be sure...

MY BAD, I missed the "G"... Sorry, sincerest apologies to Keith. I have vintage lenses on the brain right now.... You are correct Keith, I am way wrong!

I bought a high-end CPL and ND filters in 52mm because they fit almost all of the lenses I have that I use most often.

Last edited:
The original poster asked about the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S G, which uses a 58mm filter size.

You have the older 50mm f/1.4 AF or AF-D, which uses a 52mm filter size.

go with the 70-300mm for your trip

Having never been to Europe (I'm jealous :mrgreen:) I can only assume a great deal of walking is involved. I agree suggesting a smaller lens, as Derrell suggested, the 24mm or the 35mm or any nice prime. Allow me to throw myself on my sword, I bought the 70-200mm VR, and it's a great lens, but it's a PITA to carry around. Call me soft, call me a pu##y ! I also found the it was making lazy, not wanting to get closer to the shot, "it's easier to shoot from here" So get a nice prime and zoom in using your shoes, you'll get a better shot :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back