Which lens to buy next . . .

Felix0890

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have the Canon 18-55 kit lens the camera went with along with a 50mm 1.8. I like to keep purchase goals for myself to give me motivation to go to work :lol:. However, I do not which lens to add to this list (still don't know much about lenses besides the basics).

I'd like a lens that is versatile. I'm still exploring with which type of photography I prefer the most (right now, I love everything but I would put macro and street photography at the top). I'm not sure whether I want a wide-angle. Are those good for anything besides landscape shots? Also, my budget is not great so nothing too expensive (<$500).

Also, if anyone knows of good articles/guides/books on lenses, please share. :)

-Felix

hi felix,

i would just stick with the 18-55 for now. that way you'll have enough to get more experience to find out what kind of photography you'd like to do. waiting also gives you an opportunity to save more and thus get a better quality lens which in the long run you'll appreciate. enjoy!

wim

wimfotocards.blogspot.com

Is the 18-55 kit lens good enough to take some decent pictures? I hear so much negative talk about kit lenses that I thought I would need to upgrade to a more decent one asap. Thanks for the info.

-Felix

the kit lens is awesome. especially on the 450d compared to ones without IS like the XTi kit. if you want a cheap alternative try the Canon 75-300 4-5.6 iii.

it's only about 200 for the size, and it's a nice telephoto(although the build quality isn't the greatest) but it gets the job done. no complaints here!

my $.02... if you dont know what kind of photography you like yet dont spend money on another lens. i talk about renting lenses a lot, and i think this is a great time for it. we just came back from a trip that we rented a wide angle zoom on, a 12-24. the difference it made in width over the 18-55 that we have was great and now i know a wide angle zoom serves a lot of the purposes i need and want.

Felix, since you are unfamiliar with a lot of aspects of photography, as you said, there really is no reason for you to shell out $ for a new piece of glass just to have it. Having nice f/1.8 lens doesn't mean that person knows how to use it correctly, therefore stick to what you have until you'll begin feeling its limitations - THEN you go out and buy a different lens.

Ok. No lens yet. Thanks for the input. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back