Which lens to buy?

I think get the 100mm macro and the 70-200F4L and a 1.4x teleconverter, which will give you 98-280 on the L lense but you drop down one stop to F5.6, I believe. If you are shooting on a safari you should have lots of light to shoot at that aperature.

Gives you that wicked sharp image without the tele, and a still fine image with the tele!

Cheers

Yeah, that's an option too. Shame though that the converter is almost as expensive as the lens itself... :)

The only thing left then, is that I'm not too sure if I'm going to like the fixed focal length in the 100mm... I've always used the Tamron zoom for macro/close-up, so I have no experience in a fixed one...

Tiny bit of semantics here (I'm a purist)...
A "long lens" is a lens with a focal length longer than that of a "normal lens" which, in the days of 35mm film was a 50mm lens. A "telephoto" lens is a long lens that is physically shorter than its focal length. In this day and age, all long lenses are telephoto lenses.

I'll bet you didn't know that!

Ha, I didn't know that either!

Hi guys!

I think I'm done thinking! :)

I've visited the store today and the Canon 200mm really seems a very nice lens, neatly priced and a good choice, but it is a bit too much I believe (and most important, too big and heavy)

What I'm thinking of now is buying the Canon 100mm for macro purposes and later-on the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II as a replacement for the Canon kit lens. I'll stick with my Tamron 55-200mm lens and will just have to try and get a little closer next time.

Thanks again!! :D

...the 100mm f2.8 Macro is known to be optically good .... and doubles as a portrait lens...

I have seen tons of pictures on the web now, made with this lens, but still I haven't found much portraits with it... Seems perfect for it, though, great bokeh etc.

Hi all,

I just received my new lens, the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM!! :D
Here are some first results, what do you think of them?!

img8888ou3.jpg

img9032ih2.jpg

img9050my5.jpg

img9071wi2.jpg

Very nice shots!! Looks like you have that thing dialled!

I am saving for one myself, and can't wait to have enough.

Cheers

Amazing!

Detail on that lense is absolutely fantastic, nice shots too.

I knew you would like it.... every person I've convinced to try out that lens ends up liking it.

Congrats... wonderful photos.

Try some portraits with it... you'll like the results.

Thanks everyone for the comments!
I'm trying portraits coming thursday! :)

Here are 2 more, what do you think of these? The bees were very difficult too get a shrap result, but this is the best result I got.

cheers!

img9355hv2.jpg

img9340fa4.jpg

WOW.... all of these pictures are nothing short of amazing..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back