Which lens

SethAlbritton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not sure which lens I should choose. Nikkor 50mm 1.8 or nikkor 50mm 1.4. I have an understanding of the number and what it means, but I'm not sure if I know the significance of the difference.

I want to use the lens to practice shooting portraits. So, what is the best for this option and can you please explain why. Thanks in advance.

I'm not that experienced - that's my disclaimer.

You pay a lot of money for an f-stop. I know for the canon side, 1.8 lens is a cheap hundred bucks, 1.4 is almost four hundred and a 1.2 is over a thousand...

It's a question of budget mostly, the faster, more expensive lens (1.4) being a better one than the cheaper 1.8.

Still a 1.8 max aperture is going to work well in pretty low light and should be ok for you (I assume).

Now ask yourself if you want the 35mm or the 50mm...

If your still asking these questions and are set on buying a lens go for the 1.8.

If your still asking these questions and are set on buying a lens go for the 1.8.

Great detailed response represented with lots of good information I can apply to my search for a good lens. Your a big help. lol

Thanks to the other dude for a detailed response. I appreciate it.

Smile.gif

I believe these are the Nikon AF lenses available (The Ai-S F/1.2 seem to be a manual focus lens according to a online retail store info)

Nikon 50mm F/1.8D AF (around $130 new)
Lens reviews
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D - Review / Test Report
Nikon Lens: Primes - Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Nikon 50mm F/1.4D AF (around $320 new)
Lens reviews
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4 D - Review / Lab Test Report
Nikon Lens: Primes - Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Nikon 50mm F/1.4G AF-S (around $440 new)
Lens review
Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G - Review / Test Report
Nikon Lens: Primes - Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Of course, they are different in cost. If you have the entry level Nikon camera and want autofocus, you choice is the F/1.4G AF-S since the other 2 will not AF with those cameras such as D3000, D5000, D40, D40x and D60.

Besides the cost, they are made differently. The lens construction are different from each others. (i.e. AF-S F/1.4G has 8 Lens elements in 7 groups vs AF F/1.4D has 7 elements in 6 groups) Due to difference in lens construction, they may perform differently (may or may not be noticeable)

The number of shutter blades are also different. Less shutter blades will produce a less perfect blur circle. (One of the reason I do not like the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 lens since it only have 5 blades)

The AF-S lens has a Silent wave motor which will make the lens better in AF performance and it make less noise when AF.

And of course, it cost more to make a faster lens (larger max aperture such as F/1.8 vs F/1.4)

You should be able to find more information from the lens review links above. Hope this help.

Last edited:
We get these kind of questions a lot. Although it may be easier for you to just ask a forum you will not always get accurate information. A lot of the time it is better to google things and then ask f you don't understand.
Let me google that for you

Or google difference in aperture.

But for the sake of not getting flamed for this being a beginner section and I am not helping blah blah blah here is MY answer.

The 1.4 lets in more light then the 1.8. The number means the aperture the lower the number the more light is let in, aka the larger it can open up. Unless you will be shooting extremely low light, basically night events the 1.8 will do you nicely. Not to say the 1.8 can't do night, because it can and quite well if I may say so myself. But the 1.4 does it a bit better.

It sounds to me like what he doesn't understand is "How drastic is the difference between f/1.8 and f/1.4"...

I don't think he's a complete idiot... I've seen a lot of rude comments from some of the members who have been here recently... Just because you've been here for a while, doesn't mean you are perfect... Being rude to "newbies" is only going to make them not want to be here... If you don't have something helpful to say to answer a question, then just don't freakin answer it!

I've only been here for about a month but I'm starting to feel like I'm back in high school again with all the "senior bullies" picking on the "new freshman"... This is supposed to be a "community" where people can come and get help... Don't shoot them down for asking a dang question!

/end rant..

It sounds to me like what he doesn't understand is "How drastic is the difference between f/1.8 and f/1.4"...

I don't think he's a complete idiot... I've seen a lot of rude comments from some of the members who have been here recently... Just because you've been here for a while, doesn't mean you are perfect... Being rude to "newbies" is only going to make them not want to be here... If you don't have something helpful to say to answer a question, then just don't freakin answer it!

I've only been here for about a month but I'm starting to feel like I'm back in high school again with all the "senior bullies" picking on the "new freshman"... This is supposed to be a "community" where people can come and get help... Don't shoot them down for asking a dang question!

/end rant..

Sorry but your post contributed nothing to this thread. I've seen quite a few of your threads in which you ask "newb" type questions. Also by saying

don't think he's a complete idiot...

Implies you think he is somewhat of one.

To make this post not completely useless to the Op I will say this. Please enjoy your time here and ignore people putting you down as you will find the more people work with cameras and go on forums talking of the the more then seem to blow wind up their own.. well you know what. If you need trusted websites for buying or reading sources please pm me and I will be glad to get a list of good things for you to read.

Most reactions

Back