Which Nikon DSLR should I buy?

deff a used d7000! no doubt about that. its THE used camera to buy to learn with.

Refurbished D7000 $719 w/free shipping
Refurbished 18-55 VR & 55-200 VR $229 w/free shipping

Product Page
Adorama

No offense but IMO it is a waste of the D7000 body if you pair it with the 18-55 VR. If budget allows D7000 with its own kit lens (not the 18-55) or the 18-70 which imo a better lens than the 18-55 and about same price. If not get the D90 over any D3x00 or D5x00.

No offense taken and I actually agree with you. My thoughts was to get the best camera body they could afford and make do with a kit lens until they could upgrade later. I just didn't compare prices with the 18-70 or 18-105.

Last edited:
Alright guys you've made some very good points. I've decided to cut my budget a bit so now I'm gonna make my very final decision:
Nikon D5100 Kit 18-55mm VR
VS
Nikon D90 Kit 18-55mm II
Both $620
It is very difficult to choose between these two guys. I have visited Nikon D5100 vs D90 - Our Analysis and it's pretty cool at pointing out the features. Still I can't decide

D5200 all the way...it shares the same image sensor as the D7100.

If budget is furthet an issue, check out the D3100 kit.

Last edited:
Between the two... I would go D90!

I have read that D90 pics a lot more noisy at ISO 800 and above than the pics of the D5100. Now that's quite an issue because I suspect I would take alot of indoor pictures with not-so-great lighting. I can't find any side to side pictures from these cameras at higher ISO, can anyone provide me with the side to side samples please? Or at least can anyone confirm that D90 really make pictures significantly more noisy?
:lol: I never ever struggled between choosing one or the another gadget like this time. Within 8 hours I'm gonna make a decision and finally get my camera:headbang:

Last edited:
They have a few pics on flickr that give good examples of ISO on both cameras, but I can't access flickr here at my job.

D5100
$ISO(75).jpg

D90
$nikon_d90_iso(2).jpg

If you're still reading this be sure to consider being able to use lenses without a focus motor. There are a lot of used lenses out there. AF-S -not so much.

A D5xxx, 3xxx won't autofocus unless you have an AF-s lens, the D90, D7xxx will.

I have read that D90 pics a lot more noisy at ISO 800 and above than the pics of the D5100. Now that's quite an issue because I suspect I would take alot of indoor pictures with not-so-great lighting. I can't find any side to side pictures from these cameras at higher ISO, can anyone provide me with the side to side samples please? Or at least can anyone confirm that D90 really make pictures significantly more noisy?
:lol: I never ever struggled between choosing one or the another gadget like this time. Within 8 hours I'm gonna make a decision and finally get my camera:headbang:

Get a flash

If you're still reading this be sure to consider being able to use lenses without a focus motor. There are a lot of used lenses out there. AF-S -not so much.

A D5xxx, 3xxx won't autofocus unless you have an AF-s lens, the D90, D7xxx will.

Well yeah I kept that in mind..
It's over, now I'm lucky owner of the D5100. Higher post-editing capability due to higher dynamic range and higher resolution (i'm pretty much pro at Photoshop due to my profession), decent full HD video (yes, I actually need this feature as i love to do guitar/vocals covers and don't own a video camera), higher ISO performance took over D90. Yes I held D90 and it has much better ergonomics, and far superior controls and I really feel it is much better for taking photos.
Well, maybe I will regret my choice later but i'm not going to die anytime soon so i can sell it and buy for ex. D7100 when I feel I have grown as a photographer.
Thank you guys and now I'm a member too!;-)

Good choice! I love my D5100 and for a starter DSLR is great!

Congrats.

I own a D5100 and D600 now and I really miss the flipscreen on the D600. Thats a very useful feature to have.

Congrats.

I own a D5100 and D600 now and I really miss the flipscreen on the D600. Thats a very useful feature to have.

Thank you. I was actually quite concerned about flipscreen as it appears to be less reliable than normal fixed screen. But I know a girl who owns D5100 for about year and half and she said she was never disappointed with it, it's still going strong

I use to own the d5100 and now the d7000 and found the flip screen on the d5100 absolutely useless.

Most reactions

Back