Which Nikon DSLR should I buy?

It's an opinion Napalm. I find the flip screen to be an added bonus on the D5100. Plus when I pack away my camera i flip the screen the other way and protect the screen without having to put a clunky lens protector on it.

Don't just read on them, go into a store and handle them, see which one fits you, see which one has controls that make the most sense to you....consider the lens line up..consider what type of photography you want to do....everyone has their opinions on the best camera(s)...but YOU will be the one using whatever it is you wind up with.

Camera Reviews

http://www.photographytalk.com/compare-prices/camera-buying-guide?pt=6

Digital Photography Review

Compare digital cameras - Snapsort

Equipment & Reviews | What Digital Camera

Don't just read on them, go into a store and handle them, see which one fits you, see which one has controls that make the most sense to you....consider the lens line up..consider what type of photography you want to do....everyone has their opinions on the best camera(s)...but YOU will be the one using whatever it is you wind up with.

Camera Reviews

http://www.photographytalk.com/compare-prices/camera-buying-guide?pt=6

Digital Photography Review

Compare digital cameras - Snapsort

Equipment & Reviews | What Digital Camera

OP already bought the D5100

You can take a D200. Click raw and post-process. In this way you'll get a better body than D90 and similar or better image processing as compared to D90. So try for it.

It's an opinion Napalm. I find the flip screen to be an added bonus on the D5100. Plus when I pack away my camera i flip the screen the other way and protect the screen without having to put a clunky lens protector on it.

I hear you, everyone's different I guess. FYI though, those screens are not as easy to damage as you might think.

The flip screen can be nice I suppose but just another thing to go wrong and more of a gimmick. Come on, get down on your belly it won't hurt you...this is the best way to get your perspective and make adjustments. I for one can quote you two persons in our club who have had issues caused by sand or some debris and caused the flip portion to grind and not move. Environment to me must be considered...

Just Keep it simple..

Happy Shooting

The flip screen can be nice I suppose but just another thing to go wrong and more of a gimmick. Come on, get down on your belly it won't hurt you...this is the best way to get your perspective and make adjustments. I for one can quote you two persons in our club who have had issues caused by sand or some debris and caused the flip portion to grind and not move. Environment to me must be considered...

Just Keep it simple..

Happy Shooting

Well, of course there is a slightly better chance of having issues with flip screen. Let's just wait and see.
You cannot deny it's great for self-portrait, well at least if you're noob at photography.
By now, to be honest, I'm overwhelmed by the functionality of this "entry level DSLR". It's pretty wonderful piece of tech and I got a lot to learn.

Last edited:
If you have a camera with a flipscreen and dont use it, I would assume that you are probably not very creative about what perspective your photographs can take. The flip screen is much more than just a gimmick and its good for much more than just "go down to your belly". The flip screen allows you to still see what you're doing for example if you hold the camera high above you, or press the camera to the wall, or try to make a picture of yourself. Without a flipscreen, you'll be completely blind in such situations, or will need quite elaborate schemes with a separate computer/monitor of some sort. And even going down on your belly will still not give you an as good overview over what you're doing than the flipscreen. Because with a flipscreen, you can really press the camera to the ground and still see perfectly your framing. Without the flipscreen, good luck trying that, your face will get in the way and leave no space for the fingers etc.

My D5100 flipscreen is still perfect a year after I bought the camera. The protection of my D600 screen was already full of scratches just a single week after I bought it. Also, on my D5100, the flipscreen is turned around most of the time. I dont need it. I take some pictures, check if everything is alright, then I flip it back and no longer bother with it. And I never have seen any thread in any of the photography forums I frequent that anyone had a damaged flip screen. Also, this argument is stupid by design. Cameras have freaking GLASS in them, for heavens sake. Before you damage your flipscreen, you will have a lot of other problems. You have to be careful with cameras, thats just how it is.

If you have a camera with a flipscreen and dont use it, I would assume that you are probably not very creative about what perspective your photographs can take. The flip screen is much more than just a gimmick and its good for much more than just "go down to your belly". The flip screen allows you to still see what you're doing for example if you hold the camera high above you, or press the camera to the wall, or try to make a picture of yourself. Without a flipscreen, you'll be completely blind in such situations, or will need quite elaborate schemes with a separate computer/monitor of some sort. And even going down on your belly will still not give you an as good overview over what you're doing than the flipscreen. Because with a flipscreen, you can really press the camera to the ground and still see perfectly your framing. Without the flipscreen, good luck trying that, your face will get in the way and leave no space for the fingers etc.

Can't argue with that, very true.

I started on a D5100 and then switched to a D7000 and I can honestly say that I do miss the flip screen for both video and still.

You can tether your camera to a tablet if it doesn't have a flip screen, it's a lot easier to see too.

just saying.
Uh ... I already said that :)

[...] Without a flipscreen, you'll be completely blind in such situations, or will need quite elaborate schemes with a separate computer/monitor of some sort. [...]

My D5100 flipscreen is still perfect a year after I bought the camera. The protection of my D600 screen was already full of scratches just a single week after I bought it. Also, on my D5100, the flipscreen is turned around most of the time. I dont need it. I take some pictures, check if everything is alright, then I flip it back and no longer bother with it. And I never have seen any thread in any of the photography forums I frequent that anyone had a damaged flip screen. Also, this argument is stupid by design. Cameras have freaking GLASS in them, for heavens sake. Before you damage your flipscreen, you will have a lot of other problems. You have to be careful with cameras, thats just how it is.

Well my first question would be have you actually got down on your belly, perhaps the photography you do is different from others. How do think people did this before, it's not a new concept at all...and yes you do get a one on one with you subject. I question if you actually tried this as this, there are no issues that I have ever run into. BTW your assumptions about creativity are so out to lunch....My observations about the flip screen comes from wildlife photographers in our nature club, it's a love hate type relationship. If you read my comments you would have noticed I did not condemn the flip just to fragile for what we do.

If you like, fill you boots.

Happy Shooting!

Most reactions

Back